Radaghast
feanor 1999
Bluebottle
21 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Future releases [2] - Page 19 Empty Re: Future releases [2]

Post by bungobaggins Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Timeline for Interstellar created by a reddit user. Big spoilers.

Spoiler:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:03 pm

I liked Interstellar quite alot, visually stunning, fantastic score,  an interesting central premise and a great lead performance from Matthew Mconathiingy (though with the overbearing Sound Mix I did have a little trouble with his accent...), certainly a enjoyable film...but it was (imo) more of a Big Screen 'Experience' than a wholly satisfying film, the dialogue (as Often with Nolan) veered between terrible, clever and up its own arse (Some of the dialogue was simply repeating plot points or metaphors verbatim), for a film called Interstellar the actual concept of travelling vast distances through space wasn't quite as hammered home as you'd have thought (I personally could have done with more of those gorgeous shots of the Endurance travelling through space, tiny in its vastness, that said, the concept of Time Dilation was handled very well) as Bungo said it is probably a bit too long (The first 30 minutes were sloooow, for all the time in spends on Earth, we learn very little about of the How's and Why's of humanity's current situation), and the Paradox ending wasn't quite as clever as it thought it was-I guessed it quite a while before, though most of the audience seemed to be scratching their heads in confusion.

Alot of people have pointed out the
Spoiler:
on both counts it's something I enjoyed greatly.

The surprise Cameo with the Actor I won't name felt like a bolted on side plot, and to me, kinda stopped the momentum of the film a bit, though it did have a very jump in you seat pay off...

Overall enjoyable, visually stunning, but a bit pretentious and overlong, with some rather questionable gaps in logic, and a oddly hillarious role for Michael Caine
Spoiler:

7/10 (I'd be inclined to give it a slightly different score if I were watching it at home)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 pm

malickfan wrote:The first 30 minutes were sloooow

I felt like the pacing at the beginning was good, it was the end where it started to hit a wall. The pacing was good for me up until you-know-who's cameo.

for all the time in spends on Earth, we learn very little about of the How's and Why's of humanity's current situation

I think for a movie that is already bogged down in explaining the mechanisms associated with space and wormhole travel, it would have been too much to get into what went wrong on earth. All we need to know is that there is a problem and the only solution they can find is extra terrestrial.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:37 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
malickfan wrote:The first 30 minutes were sloooow

The pacing was good for me up until you-know-who's cameoYeah that bit, just didn't really work for me, it was enjoyable enough I suppose, but basically felt like a should have been deleted scene.

for all the time in spends on Earth, we learn very little about of the How's and Why's of humanity's current situation

I think for a movie that is already bogged down in explaining the mechanisms associated with space and wormhole travel, it would have been too much to get into what went wrong on earth. All we need to know is that there is a problem and the only solution they can find is extra terrestrialFair enough, I just wanted to know more about the ins and outs of things, It's kinda hard to care about the other astronauts when we learn very little about them. I wonder what year it was supposed to be set in? .

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:27 am

bungobaggins wrote:He sounded like My Cocaine to me. Shrugging
Who's that?
Unless you left out "Dealer" at the end of that phrase! Suspect

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:50 am

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Nice.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:29 pm

So apparently Christoph Waltz is set to appear in Bond 24. He's great but I hope he isn't just rehashing his role from Inglourious Basterds again.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm

so should I bother going to watch it or not?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:51 pm

Although if you were going to rehash a villain anyway, that wouldn't be a bad one. Very Happy

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:36 pm

David H wrote:Although if you were going to rehash a villain anyway, that wouldn't be a bad one. Very Happy

Agreed Very Happy

Future releases [2] - Page 19 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:05 am

David H wrote:Although if you were going to rehash a villain anyway, that wouldn't be a bad one. Very Happy

Very true. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:06 am

Mrs Figg wrote:so should I bother going to watch it or not?

Do you mean Interstellar? If so, I just got back from seeing it, and I'd given an emphatic yes. But I did have some conflicted feelings coming out of it. I'll try and write up some sort of coherent response here or in the seen any good films? thread, but that might have to wait until tomorrow.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:34 pm

I might have a look at this when its out ? Its just oddball enough Very Happy

Future releases [2] - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Future releases [2] - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Oh I am DEFINITELY going to see that, I'm just worried that I might have missed it in theatres.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:36 am

Looks a bit lotr's ish, even has a Beorn like guy in it.

Last edited by chris63 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:48 am

That's been in development hell for several years. Can't be a good sign. No

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:00 am

Yeah, it's release date has been pushed back by two years and it's being crapped out into the movie death zone that is February.  It's almost certainly going to suck.

Doesn't help that it looks really generic and cheesy, either. I know that "above-average fantasy movie" is a really low bar to clear, but come on.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:16 am

chris63 wrote:Looks a bit lots ish, even has a Beorn like guy in it.

Doesn't look bad, I mean could be worse and be called the Hobbit. affraid seriously it looked original and entertaining, and if It is based on a book I've never read it so I can appreciate it as a film

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 pm

chris63 wrote:Looks a bit lots ish, even has a Beorn like guy in it.

I think your comment is spot on, Chris. Way overblown, and not in the fun, hence forgiveable way.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Sinister71 wrote:Doesn't look bad, I mean could be worse and be called the Hobbit. affraid  seriously it looked original and entertaining, and if It is based on a book I've never read it so I can appreciate it as a film

Shrugging I think that if someone otherwise enjoys The Hobbit it's possible to praise the movie while acknowledging that it isn't a very faithful adaptation.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:34 pm

That's what B.N. has been doing.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Sinister71 wrote:Doesn't look bad, I mean could be worse and be called the Hobbit. affraid  seriously it looked original and entertaining, and if It is based on a book I've never read it so I can appreciate it as a film

Shrugging I think that if someone otherwise enjoys The Hobbit it's possible to praise the movie while acknowledging that it isn't a very faithful adaptation.

Yeah but for me the Hobbit is just so loosely based on the book, I find it horrible in comparison. I know there are people like BN who love and defend the films, which hey good for them. They won't ever change my mind. Cause I can see a better film that follows the source material, without making up a bunch of crap.

Personally I wish they would come out with more original fantasy films without trying to make something up, off the bones of a book. Heck I would love to put my imagination into an original fantasy film. For me it would be more satisfying than destroying a classic for unnecessary reasons

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:44 pm

I get what you mean, Sin. I have tried to assess the films separately by the standards of both film and adaptation, but I get that this can be tricky, and I often find myself thinking "why even bother changing that?" even when the changes aren't necessarily something that would bother me in an original film.

It does kinda suck how hard it is to get non-adaptations made in this film market. It's a bit strange that PJ, having proved himself at the box office, has only expressed interest in making further adaptations and remakes. But that's his call, of course.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:48 pm

halfwise wrote:That's what B.N. has been doing.

Not to speak for BN, but I think a big part of the debates he's been involved in has been about whether certain changes in the films represent a serious enough deviation to merit the label of unfaithful.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next