halfwise
Norc
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 19 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next

Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:52 am

got to say Ravenna seems an odd choice. its by the sea and its very flat with no mountains. There are many places that look the part more.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by Bluebottle Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:19 am

Perhaps he was thinking architecture wise. Shrugging

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Img_splash_ravenna02

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:44 pm

could be. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I am digging a more mittel European look for minas tirith personally.

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Image8_zpscflo9f4y

[URL=https://s1247.photobucket.com/user/cat402/media/3ffd582e-0586-418e-b48e-5ba0394b283c_zpsat9tpxmi.jpg.html]The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 3ffd582e-0586-418e-b48e-5ba0394b283c_zpsat9tpxmi

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Untitled_zpsxa7yzm1x
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:54 pm

I though Mount St Michel was the inspiration for Minas Tirith.

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Baie-du-mt-st-michel_large_rwd

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Update on the Warner Bros/Tolkien Estate lawsuit:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/warner-bros-can-sue-tolkien-835296

pale

I don't see this winding up anytime soon..

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:09 pm

Just another reason to wish these films had never fucking happened Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Seeing as the original agreements have not been made public I don't think any of us can form an informed opinion about who is in the right here, legally speaking.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:16 am

Eldorion wrote:Seeing as the original agreements have not been made public I don't think any of us can form an informed opinion about who is in the right here, legally speaking.

That is a fair point, but I find it kinda ironic WB are after more money considering they were rather lax with marketing TH films in comparison to New Line, I don't recall seeing any trailers for BOTFA (other than on youtube) and you only have to look at TORn to see how dissapointed people are with the EE.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:01 pm

I mean, it wasn't like Star Wars or Minions level marketing, to pick two recent examples, butI don't know exactly what people were expecting.  I guess since I was too young to really be paying attention to the LOTR stuff when those films were coming out I don't have much of a frame of reference for New Line's marketing. I do think there was more surrounding AUJ, so I wonder if WB backed off after the below-expectations box office returns for the first film.

The EE theatrical release was pretty poorly marketed, but that was really just for the hardcore fans anyway.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Eldorion wrote:Seeing as the original agreements have not been made public I don't think any of us can form an informed opinion about who is in the right here, legally speaking.

Well, that is true of course. Although, one can of course speculate.

For instance, let's say the original contract where Tolkien signed away the movie rights only expressly mentions tangible merchandize. Normal contractual principles would say that the obligations between the contracting parties begins and ends with the contract. Particularly when it delves into depth and is very technical, hinting that the contracting parties has put what they saw as the entirety of their relationship in the regard of what the contract handled into the contract. I am struggling to see good arguments that would entail an intellectual property right holder, remember Tolkien sold the rights himself, the originating artist, would have signed away more of his intellectual property than the agreement he made said. That goes against my immediate sense of justice, at least.

Now let's say there were such arguments anyway, what would they be. Well, it could be said for one that the standard in these contractual relationships today is that both tangible and intangible rights are sold when a deal selling movie rights to popular novels are made. If this is standard practice, that could be something that counts for these rights also being included in the agreement, even if they were not mentioned in the actual contract. It might also be argued that the only reason intangible merchandize was not mentioned in the agreement was that it wasn't a viable option for either of the parties to consider at the time of the agreement. Intangible merchandize at that time not really being a thing. That there has come this whole new industry into being, with computer games, and online games and so on does in my opinion count for the view that this is something that needs to expressly agreed between the parties. Taking into account the wide ranging consequences it has, both economically and practically.

In the end what might be of the most importance is what was the understanding between the contracting parties at the signing of the contract. If the issue of intangible merchandize was an issue, and left out for a reason, I don't see Warner Brothers having much of a case in any.. case.

All of this relies on how the Tolkien estate has argued the case publicly being the actual case though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Remember that attempt to crowd fund the construction of a real life Minas Tirith a few months ago...well they weren't successful

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/campaign-finished--2#/story

New book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Vice-J-R-Tolkien/dp/0008131392

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:49 pm

I don't bother packing my mithril boots then. Sad Crying or Very sad No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:32 pm

malickfan wrote:New book:

I wonder if the book really mentions ASOIAF/GOT as much as the blurb implies or if it's merely as transparent a bid for pop cultural relevance by the publisher as it appears to be.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/75986534/health-and-safety-legislation-sees-peter-jackson-resign-as-weta-workshop-director

I'd assume Jackson didn't have a great deal of involvement in the day to day workings of the company anyway, and it is probably unlikely to effect Weta's involvement in any future projects of his, interesting to see that Jamie Selkirk (editor of ROTK and most of Jackson's pre-tolkien work, IIRC also an associate producer on LOTR) was still involved with the company as I don't think he worked on T.H.

Jackson has mentioned in previous interviews that he'd be interested in making a WW1 film exploring the Gallipoli Landings...I wonder if the photography was a hint or jokey reference?

Last edited by malickfan on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Makes sense. I never thought he was a managing director of Weta to begin with.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Two previously unknown Tolkien poems discovered:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14278587.Undiscovered_J_R_R_Tolkien_poems_found_in_1936_school_magazine/

http://www.olab.org.uk/media/news/article/6775/Tolkien-poems-in-school-annual

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Lucky find Smile wonder if there's anything else lurking secretly thats yet to be discovered ?

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:31 pm

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 51MvFCtmxzL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_

First ever critical study of Tolkien’s little-known essay, which reveals how language invention shaped the creation of Middle-earth and beyond, to George R R Martin’s Game of Thrones.

J.R.R. Tolkien’s linguistic invention was a fundamental part of his artistic output, to the extent that later on in life he attributed the existence of his mythology to the desire to give his languages a home and peoples to speak them. As Tolkien puts it in ‘A Secret Vice’, ‘the making of language and mythology are related functions’’.

In the 1930s, Tolkien composed and delivered two lectures, in which he explored these two key elements of his sub-creative methodology. The second of these, the seminal Andrew Lang Lecture for 1938–9, ‘On Fairy-Stories’, which he delivered at the University of St Andrews in Scotland, is well known. But many years before, in 1931, Tolkien gave a talk to a literary society entitled ‘A Hobby for the Home’, where he unveiled for the first time to a listening public the art that he had both himself encountered and been involved with since his earliest childhood: ‘the construction of imaginary languages in full or outline for amusement’.

This talk would be edited by Christopher Tolkien for inclusion as ‘A Secret Vice’ in The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays and serves as the principal exposition of Tolkien’s art of inventing languages. This new critical edition, which includes previously unpublished notes and drafts by Tolkien connected with the essay, including his ‘Essay on Phonetic Symbolism’, goes some way towards re-opening the debate on the importance of linguistic invention in Tolkien’s mythology and the role of imaginary languages in fantasy literature.

Hardcover: 300 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins (7 April 2016)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:39 am

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Smiling-potato-face

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:00 am

'ere ? have we been taken over ? Suspect

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 pm

halfwise wrote:I though Mount St Michel was the inspiration for Minas Tirith.

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 19 Baie-du-mt-st-michel_large_rwd

Been there. Lovely place.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm jealous. alien

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:48 pm

That place is SO Minas Tirith Smile there's no denying it Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:49 pm

https://atolkienistperspective.wordpress.com/2016/03/31/breaking-a-tale-of-the-north-new-middle-earth-film/#more-5908

Given there's no source cited I'd assume this is an early April Fools joke (though I was told on TORn a few months ago, that one of the admins had reported at a convention there were 'plans in place' for the future of the franchise) so there's no need to get angry just yet Petty...

...though given the mixed reception to the DC universe films, Mad Max 5 stalling in pre-production and the gamble of Fanastic Beasts, I don't doubt that WB aren't quite finished with the franchise...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next