halfwise
Norc
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 28 of 38 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33 ... 38  Next

Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 28 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 am

Dwalin lived to be 340. Thats a ripe old age.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 28 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 am

Sad to say, I don't even remember Thorin's death scene from Battle of Five Armies film. That such a crucial scene was not memorable makes me downright grumpy.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am

I don't remember it either Halfy. I think peejers was more interested in that other thing, wotsitsname….Azog & slippery ice & any other CGI affects you can throw into the mix. Love interests have to die, tears to be shed ( yeah, in relief !!! ) Hero's are made, Leggy bumping off Bolg, My darling sweet'ums dying for his one true love Towel Rail, Towel Rail's little elfin heart breaking as shes got a kinky thing for fresh faced Dwarves, Everyone has to grab 10mins of screen time & lets push the main character death to the side lines, in fact pushed so far its out the door & into the parking space outside. Thorins death is meant to be higher in rank than Smaugs. Its to serve a purpose. But the Coven just had to go slushy because all the little 13 year old girls need a female role model & there just HAS to be romance,...…...everywhere......even the Witch King had a mother who loved him, why don't we have a sequel watching Kingy play hide N seek with mummy ? oh & he has to have a puppy that he loves so much & skiing lessons, & a playstation, cuz if Legolas can role play Tetris so can Kingy !!

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 28 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 28 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:39 am

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/19/peter-jackson-battle-of-the-five-armies-i-didnt-know-what-the-hell-i-was-doing-when-i-made-the-hobbit

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Yep.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:30 am

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 28 DlDyJFLXoAEAkxZ

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/16576ed02e622240

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Why a google email link?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Id like to know why any picture, shot or drawing is shown, to go with anything Tolkien, that it has to be from Peejers films ??

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:59 pm

A lot of visuals available, but doing extra artwork that nonetheless pulls from PJ is just annoying.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 pm

{{Also the drawing of Tolkien, is it just me who when they look in his eyes get the impression he is only smiling that way because someone has a gun to his head! The mouth is smiling, the eyes are worried! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lord-rings-almost-starred-mick-jagger-1160023

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:45 pm

I hate the trend for article titles to be click bait that buries the lede. But that was a very good read.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:25 am

Yeah, there was a lot of good detail in there, including some stuff I wasn't previously familiar with. Thanks for sharing the link, Malick! Thumbs Up
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:11 pm

I read in the Sunday magazine that comes free with the Sunday paper, ( which in my view isn't free as the price of a Sunday paper is twice the price of a daily & more ) that the wife of David Tennant, Georgia Moffett, has a son, TY, from a previous relationship BUT is in the new Tolkien film due out in May this year. Apparently Ty plays one of Tolkiens chums at an early age. Reading that refreshed my optimism of the upcoming film. Hope it will be worth it or...…?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Wasn't there some other film about Tolkien out recently? Or maybe I'm getting it confused with this upcoming one.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 pm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3361792/news
This says a bit about it. Im hoping it will be a good version & not a piece of Romantic slush ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 am

I'm looking forward to this biopic with Nicholas and Lily.

In any case I can't look backward to it, at this point.

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:48 am

Incidentally (Eldy posted about this earlier) the show at NYC's Morgan Library is going on now.

Hammond and Scull have already appeared to speak. Questions were not allowed, I hear, after their talk. I picture them fleeing through a trap door before a balrog wing brawl erupted!

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Kissing ciao Elthir
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Woo-hoo! I shall have to go. Thanks for the reminder Elthier.

https://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/tolkien

I like the rules for visitors Razz

Tolkien Visitor Guidelines and Policies

Costumes are permitted
Shoes must be worn at all times
No masks, wizard staffs, scepters, axes, bow and arrows, or swords are permitted
Photography is not permitted
Selfie-sticks are not permitted

So I won't be bringing back any photos. Note how they allow costumes but put so many limitations it's not worth it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Shoes must be worn at all times? Maybe they mean Stoors must wear dwarf-boots in muddy weather?

Have fun Halfy!

I might be able to go, more likely in April if so. Recently I checked out the Cloisters and stood outside the Ed Sullivan theater waiting for Mr. Colbert (he didn't show). And other stuff.

Saw two Batmans!

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 pm

I'm thinking of going to their Long Expected Party.  It's a trade-off: crowded and limited time, but you get drinks and live music.  

Since I already have all the Tolkien art work in book form and don't get so much from looking at manuscripts, I may settle for loss of gazing time at the party.  But if you go in April, Elthir, give me a shout.  I'd happily make a special visit for that.

Cloisters is cool, even better if you hike up the back.  Best is getting there early for their medieval festival, which is just another Ren Fest (seen one, seen 'em all) but since it's actually in Manhattan there's a bit of a surreal giggle factor added to it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Will do Halfy! Not sure how many times my angel of a wife will let me drag her to yet another Tolkien site or Tolkien-based thing, but who knows.

Heheh. I was already in Midtown before I realized (looked at a map) that "part of the Met" did not mean what I thought it meant with respect to the Cloisters, in a geographical sense anyway!

The Cloisters in Spring (I'm guessing), with a Heavenly Body thrown in.

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 28 636613827042926759-09.-HBCuxaCloisterGalleryView

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 am

Depends on what you bribe your angelic wife with. Or...the nice thing about NYC is there's always plenty for folks for different interests to do.  You can split up and rejoin and no harm done.  Just pick a tapas bar or something to meet up at and you don't even have to be on time.

I'm sure you're not the only one who got thrown by the link between the Cloisters and the Met. Hot tip: the M4 bus connects them. A long ride, but plenty to see on the way.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:13 am

I'd forgotten about this during the mess that was the second half of last semester and by the time I remembered tickets for Hammond and Scull's appearance were sold out, so I haven't been yet. I haven't been to NYC since the 2016 New York Tolkien Conference but it would be nice to make it up for this before the exhibition closes. It's a bit much of a trip to only be there for part of a day, but I found an amazing Airbnb deal last time so it might not be too much to stay for a night or two, even though I'm doing two anime conventions this year. Razz
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 38 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33 ... 38  Next