Bluebottle
halfwise
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is your favourite actor of all time and why

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:Yeah, there are too many actors whose work I enjoy that it's impossible to pick only one. Shrugging

Cop-out!

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why - Page 2 Tumblr_mifvnclCSk1qjszfuo1_250

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is your favourite actor of all time and why

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm

I think I must be odd.... I can't often tell a good actor/tress from a great one. I can tell a bad one easily enough.

I am not sure what makes any of those that have just been mentioned better/worse than the likes of Will Smith, Josh Hartnett or whoever is in your average chick flick/teen spoof comedy these days.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 pm

DiCaprio has been in so many great movies this past decade that I can't help but agree with you, Forest Very Happy As to Brad Pitt - I thought his performance in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (longest film title ever?) was excellent, and I loved him in Inglourious Basterds as well Smile

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:35 am

Brad Pitt has more personal charisma than a dozen lesser actors put together. Impish, cheeky, fun-loving, serious, love-sick, heart-broken, or vengeful; he's even enjoyable in questionable roles like Louis from Interview with the Vampire or Achilles in Troy. There's something a little jerk-ish about him, I would argue, in some of his earlier roles. As though he could switch over to being an ass-hole without much warning. But age has mellowed that side of him, and now he's just fully likeable in movies like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

And yeah, like you said, he's gotten to the point where he can make fun of himself in movies like Inglourious Basterds, and that's a good place for an actor to be. Smile

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm

I think Brad Pitt is & will go down as one of our greatest Stars. Ive seen him in so many different films. The loony in 12 Monkeys, the heart breaker in Legends of the fall, so many films. The wally brain in Burn After Reading Smile
Tom Hanks
Bruce Dern
Harvey Keitel
Olivia Coleman
Emma Thompson
Im too stuffed with chocolate & shortbread to think properly but, there's a few out there Smile

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:29 pm

of the classic actors my faves are,
Jimmy Stewart
Michael Caine
Cary Grant
of the modern actors my faves are,
Tom Hanks
Vin Diesel
Kevin Bacon
of the contemporary ones,
Idris Elba
Tom Hiddlepuff
Martin Freeman

I think they all have a certain quality of irony and understated quiet humour that appeals to me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Yep, I'm jumping on the Brad Pitt band wagon, though I see Figgs has demurred.

I think Cary Grant should have played James Bond. His turn in Notorious showed he can do it, and I simply don't like seeing him in his comedy roles.

When I first saw Tom Hanks in a serious role I couldn't accept him, to me he was always a comedian and it was as wrong as putting Robin Williams in a serious role (which happened a lot). I finally accepted him in Joe Wilson's War (partly comical) and totally in Saving Mr Banks

btw, out of context here a bit, but I saw Mary Poppins Returns and it didn't do it for me. Saving Mr Banks was the appropriate sequel, Returns was sadly uninspired. Not a bad film but doesn't measure up to the masterpiece it needed to be.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:12 pm

I get cold feet when I see follow up films, especially if its for classics like, Mary poppins. There are times I feel that these films are classics & should be left alone. Let them remain evergreen. It often seems the remakes, sequels, whatever you call them just don't do the originals any justice OR any respect.

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:06 pm

they will be rebooting Wizard of Oz soon...wait...they did... Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:13 pm

And that was a cock up !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:36 am

they rebooted Wizard of Oz? Shocked

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:53 am

halfwise wrote:
When I first saw Tom Hanks in a serious role I couldn't accept him, to me he was always a comedian and it was as wrong as putting Robin Williams in a serious role (which happened a lot).  I finally accepted him in Joe Wilson's War (partly comical) and totally in Saving Mr Banks

btw, out of context here a bit, but I saw Mary Poppins Returns and it didn't do it for me.  Saving Mr Banks was the appropriate sequel, Returns was sadly uninspired.  Not a bad film but doesn't measure up to the masterpiece it needed to be.
That's certainly not the "Saving" movie I would have expected you to mention!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Saving Private Ryan was jarring for me because at that time I still couldn't accept Tom Hanks as a non-comic actor.  Moving beyond that I still wasn't as blown away by the movie as others were.  To me the only great scene in the flim was when the Hanks character saves the life of a German soldier by finally mentioning what he did for a living back home.  I appreciated the realism and all that, but it didn't deeply move me. Maybe I need to see it again.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Castaway did it for me. it was heartbreaking.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Oh yes ! when he cried "Wilson !!!!" Sad

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 pm

yes that was so agonizingly sad  Sad Crying or Very sad when I watch the film I wonder when he started realizing Wilson wasn't real, was it when he got back to his life, but I wonder if he ever got over losing him. really.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm

I reckon that could haunt someone, I know I could never forget that. That's one hurt that wont fully heal.
First time I noticed Tom Hanks I think was in a film called "The Burbs" Smile brilliant film !!!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:55 am

I loved him in 'Big' Very Happy  there is one of those spooky Zaltar fortune tellers on Scarborough seafront affraid
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:yes that was so agonizingly sad  Sad Crying or Very sad  when I watch the film I wonder when he started realizing Wilson wasn't real, was it when he got back to his life, but I wonder if he ever got over losing him. really.
Well, he buys another volleyball at the end of the movie.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:41 pm

does he? I didn't remember that Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2