Congratulations from me too Halfwise.  Nod 

I do have a link now by the way, if anyones interested.  Very Happy 

Quite good actually.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 20 Empty Re: Sherlock - BBC [3]

Post by Amarië Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:17 pm

That was fantastic!! Absolutely fantastic!!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Amarië! u sold your soul to the devil! i am 12 minutes in and it fucking stopped Mad
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 pm

You can try that if you want.  Wink 

http://www.vidbux.com/y1yxectf64s0

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Finrod really does have his moments. *happy sigh*

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:23 am

A long day of playoffs behind me, I'm starting "The Sign of Three" now. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:54 am

That was good.  Really different from any previous Sherlock episode, but still an entertaining watch.  The combination of the visual style and the endless flashbacks and cutaways made for a sometimes overwhelming viewing experience, at least for me, but it was enjoyable.  Unfortunately it does still feel like very little has happened this season which, with only one episode remaining, is kinda disappointing.  But they've teased what's to come at the end of both episodes so far so hopefully the finale will be suitably exciting.  I'm curious to see what they go with as the cliffhanger this time around. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:11 am

I'm still downloading it! Mad

Agh, suspense!

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 am

with all this fluff i expect the season final too be brutal...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 am

I liked the episode, fun and lots of light moments. But it all seemed like filler, and didn't get us any closer to knowing who that person was that we saw at the end of the first episode. That's pretty much what bugged me about the whole episode.

With the wedding over and Sherlock's observation towards the end I hoping that the show won't become too... er... domesticated (for lack of a better word), or fall back onto cliche.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 pm

i really liked it Very Happy i loved it!!! drunk sherlock cluing for looks Laughing omg.. and falling asleep on the stairs *gold*.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
With the wedding over and Sherlock's observation towards the end I hoping that the show won't become too... er... domesticated (for lack of a better word), or fall back onto cliche.

I wonder if they will stick with canon, where she's only mentioned in passing as someone to work a schedule around, and eventually fades away entirely?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Well. I'm glad to hear you guys liked this one better, as i thoroughly enjoyed this one as well.  Nod 

It was another non mystery centric episode, but I don't think it suffered because of that. Still, will be interesting to see how the third episode turns out. I was also a bit worried it would turn into a bit too much filler Bungo, but then it all seemed to spring to life with Sherlocks speach.

Oh, and I loved the bachelor party bit too.  Very Happy 

Spoiler:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Well, yet again I seem out of step with folks here, I much preferred the opening episode to this one, this was very much a tale of two halves for me.
I thoroughly enjoyed the second half when the sleuthing kicked in and all the threads started to draw together, but the first half I actually got bored watching.
I felt the opening episode was justified in revelling in the reunion and the audience reaction to it, as the original stories do too, but once thats out the way its business as usual.
This was not business as usual.
Watson is married three times by the end of the books, and Sherlock never goes to any of the weddings, let alone be best man at any of them. And as Halfy points out Watsons wives are mentioned more in the passing than anything else. So the first half of this episode is entirely new ground and unlike previous Sherlock a basis for it cannot be found in the original stories, and its weaker for that.

Like his two Who stories (Curse of the Black Spot and Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS) Thompsons script was solid and competent but never quite seemed to match up to its big concept- in this case a series of cases linked together through Sherlocks wedding speech. It felt too plodding at the start and to light weight in the middle. (Hard to believe it came from the same pen as the person who wrote last series finale which was a much tighter affair altogether)
Given we only get three episodes I am starting to wonder if we will actually get a traditional Sherlock and Watson on the case together type story at all.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08 pm

I did really, really enjoy the episode, I was laughing so loud I had tears in my eyes and Finrod was worried I'd wake the kids. But I am not so sure how "correct" it was. The two episodes were as night and day.
Talk talk talk:

Speculation:

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm

I agree that we have probably been getting fed lots of little things that will draw together in the final episode, but for me the strength of Shelrock so far has been its ability to rewrite the original stories into something new, modern and fresh, whilst still retaining the spirit and feel of the originals an the characters- but I didnt recognise last nights episode in this context. For fans of the originals (and the Brett interpretation) like myself it was just to far off base for me to fully enjoy and it was only when the episode got into more traditional ground of solving crimes (and there were plenty fan references to original stories there) that it felt like Sherlock again for me.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:54 pm

While I enjoyed this episode, parts of it (especially the pre-credits opener) felt more like a parody of Sherlock to me than something in the same setting as the first two seasons.  Halfy's comments about the nature of the comedy in S3E1 came to mind.  When you get too zany , it's hard to take seriously the parts that are intended to be serious.  And I did feel that parts of the wedding, especially the pregnancy reveal, felt more like a scene from a Sherlock fanfic (albeit a well-written one) than anything else.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well, yet again I seem out of step with folks here, I much preferred the opening episode to this one, this was very much a tale of two halves for me.
I thoroughly enjoyed the second half when the sleuthing kicked in and all the threads started to draw together, but the first half I actually got bored watching.

I actually don't disagree with your description of this episode {{{but I still liked it more than the first one Razz}}}.

Given we only get three episodes I am starting to wonder if we will actually get a traditional Sherlock and Watson on the case together type story at all.

I don't really expect that we will, since the third episode of each of the first two seasons was more of a thriller chasing a major villain than just solving cases.  Simply having the characters go solve a mystery was a big part of what I really enjoyed about the Baskerville episode, although based on this site, other forums, and people I know IRL, I think I might have been the only person who really liked that episode. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Im not sure about the final episode this time out- they havent built up any big bad they way they did before, just hinted at one. Perhaps the finale episode will be more of a reveal of the big bad than the end of it this time out.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:04 pm

The hinting at a big bad reminds me of the clues they kept dropping about Moriarty in the first season. Both A Scandal in Pink and The Blind Banker ended by revealing that Moriarty was behind the episode's villains, though obviously those are much bigger teases than what we've seen in series three so far.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Its the underpaying of it thats making me wonder.
In the return story The Empty House Sherlock is being pursued still by the last of Moriairty's men. And sets up a ruse involving a dummy of himself at the window in order to catch the assassin (who is using a for then advanced hand made sniper rifle).
The new bad is also introduced (amidst Shelrock bemoaning that with Moriarty's demise London is no longer the place it once was for interesting crime) I am not sure that the basic premise of he originals wont still hold, and that these two first episodes are more insertions inbetween than permanent deviations.
They perhaps felt that Watsons very quick coming to terms with Sherlocks return and acceptance of it in the books was too underplayed for a modern audience.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:54 pm

A comparison, to those interested- The Empty House- from the Return of Sherlock Holmes staring the late great Jeremy Brett as Holmes-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 pm

I get what you're saying about it being in two parts Petty, but it got so enjoyable when the action kicked in that I didn't really mind it.  Shrugging 

I was also sitting there saying to myself at the beggining "Are they really doing another mystery light episode?" But it's not really fair to judge it on that basis as a standalone episode.

I don't really mind them stepping away from the original stories a bit, as the series never was planned as a very faithfull adaptation. And a lot of the deviation seem to have basis in the relationship particularily betwen the actors, but also the actors and the writers. I think it's healthy for a television show like this to use stuff that grows up naturally like that.

So I really enjoyed it,  Nod  though it dragged a bit at the beggining I agree and it was perhaps in danger of going to far with the sentimentality at the end.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 pm

In some ways they have been suprisingly true to the originals in previous series.
My favourite episode so far is Scandal in Bergravia- the first half of which is largely a solid adaptation of the original, there are changes yes, but all the main feature of the original are present and correct- the second half of the episode however concerning the plot with the airplane of dead folk is pure invention- but its so expertly woven into the original plot that it feels a part of it.

This episode was all like the second half of that one, but without the first act based in the originals to give it the weight and feel so it all felt like invention to me and a lot less meaty.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next