Mrs Figg
malickfan
RA
bungobaggins
Eldorion
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Tolkien biopic reportedly in development - Page 4 Empty Re: Tolkien biopic reportedly in development

Post by Eldorion Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 am

David H wrote:In the old days of small black-and-white TV's with weak signals, snowy pictures and bad sound, the laugh track was essentia, because you might be missing half of what was said.  Same with the vaudeville style deliveries.  It was all acted over-the-top so that it could be understood in the cheap seats.

I Love Lucy set the standard, and sitcoms followed the recipe for decades.  I guess I got desensitized to laugh tracks as a kid, but they do seem pretty obnoxious now, if I stop and listen to them.

That makes sense.  I don't mind the vaudeville type performances when it's in a vaudeville type setting.  I love the old Marx Brothers stuff I've seen, and there are plenty of wacky comedies that I don't think are really hurt by the laugh track, even if I don't personally care for them.  But a comedy that is trying to transcend its genre by adding elements of drama, especially drama based on a horrific real event like WWI ... it just feels so utterly at odds with the laugh track in their most fundamental approaches to storytelling. At the very least, use it more sparingly. Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Tolkien biopic reportedly in development - Page 4 Empty Re: Tolkien biopic reportedly in development

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 16, 2014 3:25 am

I know its old and normally it wouldnt matter- but as Halfy was possibly going to be watching them, and possibly that series in particular it seemed a current enough reason to be worth spoiler tagging for him.  Shrugging

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am

No problem; done. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 16, 2014 3:28 am

Thumbs Up 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Bumping this old thread as I din't want to start a new one.

How is everyone feeling about the new biopic film? It's out in around a week(?) I suppose I would say I'm cautiously intrigued, the trailers trod a fine line between hollywood cheese and intriguing character drama, the film isn't endorsed by Tolkien's family or publishers, and I'm expecting it to play rather fast and loose with the facts (I expect his religious beliefs and references to The Silmarillion will be glossed over in favour of LOTR references) but I'm still thinking about watching it (one of my local cinemas is only £5 a ticket, so may be worth checking out)...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:01 pm

As I said elsewhere, from what little I've seen I wasn't convinced the actor who plays Tolkien can portray hidden depths.  Dropped my interest quite a bit, but if I hear good reviews from people I trust I may be interested again.

Just noticed the spoiler discussion between Petty and Eldy.  It's old and I appreciate the well-intentions, but I'd like to head it off.  An old show will not be watched immediately, at which point any "spoilers" will be forgotten.  I wouldn't spoiler tag anything more than a year old.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:31 pm

um the trailer is very sweet and gloopy. yuck.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:17 pm

I just noticed this thread was norced from the 4th posting, and only recovered on this page. Razz

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4