How often do you read Lord of the Rings?

+13
Radaghast
bungobaggins
Sinister71
Tinuviel
Lancebloke
halfwise
Eldorion
malickfan
Mrs Figg
Orwell
Norc
Ringdrotten
RA
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Empty How often do you read Lord of the Rings?

Post by RA Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:26 pm

I just started my annual re-read (always around this time of year) and was wondering how often you guys read Lord of the Rings? Smile 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Empty Re: How often do you read Lord of the Rings?

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Once every two years or so, I think Smile I switch between the original version (English) and the Norwegian translation called Ringdrotten. I sometimes wish more people here were fluent in fjordian, it really has to be the best translation of any book ever. Just finished rereading the English version, but already I want to get started on the translation Smile

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Empty Re: How often do you read Lord of the Rings?

Post by Norc Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:36 pm

bokmål ftw..

no but honestly, i have read it all (obviously) but i tend to pick up and just choose a chapter and start reading..  i tried re-reading it but.. i didn't have time. sporadic reading when u know the story is the best Nod
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:38 pm

btw, ringo, fikk masse skryt for den norskgreia du hjalp mæ me Smile spesielt orwellsk nytale Nod tusen takk! fikk 5/6 på den så superfornøyd <3 men leverte ett minutt på og det merka ho, siste setninga ga ingen mening Razz
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:09 am

The Hobbit every couple of years (maybe). LotR every five or so. Very Happy (Just finished The Children of Hurin btw. Fascinating read).

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:10 am

I dont want to read it again for a couple of years, although I have bought a new copy with illustrations.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:25 am

I like reading in Autumn. There's something about reading Fellowship in the Fall air that makes it magical Very Happy 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Norc wrote:btw, ringo, fikk masse skryt for den norskgreia du hjalp mæ me Smile spesielt orwellsk nytale Nod tusen takk! fikk 5/6 på den så superfornøyd <3 men leverte ett minutt på og det merka ho, siste setninga ga ingen mening Razz
Nice, vel fortjent Very Happy

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Not often enough. I think I've only read the whole book twice, the last time being about 2 years ago, though I frequently read bits and pieces. My paperback copy is getting rather beat up so I'd like to replace it with an illustrated hardback, but damn those are hard to find! (in good nick at least).

I still have half the HOME, The Fall of Arthur and a stack of other books by Tolkien I'd like to read first though.

I did however finish The Hobbit again about three weeks ago.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:15 pm

It's been years since I've read the entire book.  I started re-reading it maybe a year ago but petered out about two-thirds of the way through FOTR.  Part of that's probably because I don't read as much as I used to, period, though when there's something I've never read before I can still devour giant books. Very Happy

As for sporadic reading, I'd say every few months I pick up one Tolkien book or another and read a fair bit of it. Unfinished Tales has a lot of great shorter material, and I've always found The Hobbit and The Silmarillion easier to read through all the way than LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:01 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
Norc wrote:btw, ringo, fikk masse skryt for den norskgreia du hjalp mæ me Smile spesielt orwellsk nytale Nod tusen takk! fikk 5/6 på den så superfornøyd <3 men leverte ett minutt på og det merka ho, siste setninga ga ingen mening Razz
Nice, vel fortjent Very Happy
^^
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:48 am

I used to read through LoTR every couple of years, but for the last decade and a half it has only been sporadic reading, diving into something I'm in the mood for.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 am

Lately Lord of the Rings is the only book I can sit down and read through. Most of the rest of my book collection is read through randomly and sporadically right now.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 am

I probably read every 3 or 4 years. Normally when I hear something or see something about it that I really didnt remember. Its not the sort of book to take on the train to work though so takes me a long while to get through.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:09 am

I skip around; I open my book and just read. I should read the parts I don't remember very well, but I like the juiciest bits best. I think the only book that I read straight through was Fellowship, the other two I read sporadically because I was younger, less focused, and just wanted to read certain parts of the story.

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 am

I read the Hobbit about twice a year depending on what other books I can find to read. The less other stuff I find to read the more I read the hobbit. I call it ol' reliable because it never fails to be a good read for me. LOTR i read maybe once every other year all the way thru. But most times I do the same thing Norc does and just pick it up and flip to a page and read for a couple hours then move on.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:20 am

I've read LOTR three times all the way through, and I don't know how many times I've read The Hobbit. Ever since college my "reading for pleasure" has pretty much stopped, but I've been paging through The Hobbit, the appendices, and Unfinished Tales recently, reading random passages and re-familiarizing myself with the timeline.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm nearly done reading TH and LotR for the 6th time (or maybe the 5th) since 1985, so that's an average of once every 5 (or 6) years or so. Maybe I'll read it every third year (or so) from now on.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Its been a while since I last read it cover to cover. I have a tendency these days to just dip into it at various points depending on my mood.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Once every two years or so, I think :)I switch between the original version (English) and the Norwegian translation called Ringdrotten. I sometimes wish more people here were fluent in fjordian, it really has to be the best translation of any book ever. Just finished rereading the English version, but already I want to get started on the translation Smile

Wow, just noticed this. I finally know where your name comes from!  Smile 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Same here. I'd been wondering about that too Smile

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:55 pm

see ! you come here, to a place called Forumshire, & you get all your questions answered ! sweet !

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Found this book in a charity shop today Smile
"Tolkien's Ring" by David Day. Full of illustrations on almost every page plus, colour plates spread throughout.

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Dsc01511
How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Dsc01510
How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Dsc01512
How often do you read Lord of the Rings? Dsc01513

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:32 pm

{{That looks interesting Azriel- and Alan Lee art is always good to have Nod  (even if he did sell a large chunk of his Tolkien soul and credibility by aiding PJ in the more ridiculous visual designs for TH movies  Mad ) }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 pm

haven't had time to read it yet tho the pictures are tempting. Alan Lee seems like such a gentle soul that I shall excuse him, for he was blinded by pixie glamour, faerie dust, the smooth sweet tongue of ……. The Coven...……..( dramatic crash of thunder & lightning )

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next