halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 19 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27 ... 36  Next

Go down

Books! - Page 19 Empty Re: Books!

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:42 am

David H wrote:Did you hear Philip Glass interviewed on NPR today? I thought it was really insightful.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2015/04/06/397832333/philip-glass-on-legacy-the-future-its-all-around-us

I did not hear that interview. Thanks Dave! cheers

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 pm

That moment when the voice of the madman in your head who went mad from the taint on the One Power, killed everyone he loved and turned himself into volcano with his final act tells you you're the mad one.

Why can’t the women be right? Lews Therin whispered fiercely in his head. This city is worse than any prison. There is no Source here! Why would they stay? Why would any sane man stay? We could ride out, beyond the barrier, just for a day, a few hours. Light, just for a few hours! The voice laughed uncontrollably, wildly. Oh, Light, why do I have a madman in my head? Why? Why?

Although he does at least aknowledge you're a decent person aside from that. Razz

I would not mind you in my head, Lews Therin said, sounding almost sane, if you were not so clearly mad.

While he still baulks at finding himself there.

Death, Lews Therin whispered.

Rand forgot everything else. Death? What do you mean?

Death comes.

What kind of death? Rand demanded. What are you talking about?

Who are you? Where am I?

Rand felt as though a fist had clutched his throat. He had been sure, but . . . this was the first time Lews Therin had said anything to him, something clearly and plainly addressed to him. I am Rand al’Thor. You are inside my head.

Inside . . . ? No! I am myself! I am Lews Therin Telamon! I am meeeeeeeeee! The cry faded away into the distance.

(Lews Therin Tellamon was a previous incarnation of the protagonist of the Wheel of Time series, who only appears directly in the series, outside the prologue, as a voice in the protagonists head.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 pm

And he does at least say some interesting things.

"Nothing ever goes as you expect, Lews Therin murmured. Expect nothing, and you will not be surprised. Expect nothing. Hope for nothing. Nothing."

"If it hurts too much, Lews Therin laughed in a hoarse whisper, make it hurt someone else instead."

"The wheel of a man's life. Lews Therin murmured. No mercy. No pity."

"Death rides on my shoulders, Lews Therin muttered. Death walks in my footsteps. I am death."

"Suddenly he realized that Lews Therin was humming tunelessly. Something about it seemed troubling, but what... ? Humming like a man admiring a pretty woman who was not aware of him."

"You never escape the traps you spin yourself. Lews Therin murmur sounded confused. Only a greater power can break a power, and then you're trapped again. Trapped forever so you cannot die."

"Where are all the dead? Lews Therin whispered. Why will they not be silent?"

"A man without trust might as well be dead, Lews Therin giggled."

"What I love, I destroy, Lews Therin laughed. What I destroy, I love."

"Lews Therin was giggling; that was the only word for it. Never prod at a woman unless you must. She will kill you faster than a man and for less reason, even if she weeps over it after."

"Who knows a woman's heart? Lews Therin chuckled wryly. He sounded in one of his saner moods. Most women will shrug off what a man would kill you for, and kill you for what most men would shrug off."

"Eagles and women can only be kept safe in cages. Lews Therin said as though quoting, then abruptly began weeping as the last of the Maidens vanished."

"To destroy, or be destroyed. Lews Therin laughed. When that's your choice, is there a difference?"

"A man who trusts everyone is a fool. Lews Therin said, and a man who trust no one is a fool. We are all fools, If we live long enough. He almost sounded sane."

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Interesting!
I'm just starting Neverwhere actually, so this is coincidental timing.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:56 pm

I was looking at these two quotes from the Wheel of Time and it struck me that they very well exemplify the dichotmy at the center of the series. Two very different ways of viewing both life and the world.

The first statement is made by the main antagonist in the series, appart from the Dark One himself. Elan Moran Tendroai was a celerated nihilist philosopher in the Age of Legends the  the age before the present age in the story. Now in the Wheel of Time world history moves cyclycly. In each of the three ages a hero of the Light is born to fight the shadow, and defeat the Dark One through loosing his own life. The realization Elan Moran Tendronai came to as a philosopher and a nihilist realized was that while time and the battle betwen the light and the shadow would, and had repeated itself endlessly, the shadow only had to win once for the wheel of time to stop, for the shadows victory to be permanent.He as a nihilist then concluded that in the infinity of battles betwen the light and the shadow the shadow would win eventually, whether in this age or another. And because of the futility of the fight, he decided that the only thing to do with any positive outcome was to join the shadow, and trough the Dark Ones victory rule for a time. He announced this publicly to Hall of Servants, the collection fo the most powerfull in the Age of Legends, a bit like an international parliment. And the people named him Ishamael, the betrayer of hope, upon his defection.

The darkness behind Ba'alzamon roiled, and furnaces roared as Ba'alzamon laughed. “You honor me. And belittle yourself. I know you too well. I have faced you a thousand times. A thousand times a thousand. I know you to your miserable soul, Lews Therin Kinslayer.” “You will die, worm! How many times have you died across the span of the Ages, fool, and how much has death availed you? The grave is cold and lonely, save for the worms. The grave is mine. This time there will be no rebirth for you. This time the Wheel of Time will be broken and the world remade in the image of the Shadow. This time your death will be forever! Which will you choose? Death everlasting? Or life eternal — and power!”

It should be noted that Ishamael was pretty mad by the time he made this statement (possibly thinking himself the Dark One), but still.. the futility of fighting, I think in the context of the general good/evil dichotomy of fantasy, this is a very interesting way of putting the case for the side of evil.

On the other hand the protagonists, the Dragon, fated to fight, defeat the Dark One and die, view. Who himself strugggle with the futility of keeping going.

“Why do we live again? Lews Therin asked, suddenly. His voice was crisp and distinct.

Yes, Rand said, pleading. Tell me. Why?

Maybe … Lews Therin said, shockingly lucid, not a hint of madness to him. He spoke softly, reverently. Why? Could it be … Maybe it’s so that we can have a second chance.

Rand froze. The winds blew against him, but he could not be moved by them. The Power hesitated inside him, like the headsman’s axe, held quivering above the criminal’s neck. You may not have a choice about which duties are given you, Tam’s voice, just a memory, said in his mind. But you can choose why you fulfill them.

Why, Rand? Why do you go to battle? What is the point?

Why?

All was still. Even with the tempest, the winds, the crashes of thunder. All was still.

Why? Rand thought with wonder. Because each time we live, we get to love again.

That was the answer. It all swept over him, lives lived, mistakes made, love changing everything. He saw the entire world in his mind’s eye, lit by the glow in his hand. He remembered lives, hundreds of them, thousands of them, stretching to infinity. He remembered love, and peace, and joy, and hope.

Within that moment, suddenly something amazing occurred to him. If I live again, then she might as well!”

And here you even have them talking about it.

"I feel so tired," Moridin continued, closing his eyes. "Is that you, or is it me? I could throttle Semirhage for what she did."

Rand frowned. Was Moridin mad? Ishamael had certainly seemed crazy, at the end.

"It is not time for us to fight," Moridin said, waving a hand at Rand. "Go. Leave me in peace. I do not know what would happen to us if we killed one another. The Great Lord will have you soon enough. His victory is assured."

"He has failed before and will fail again," Rand said. "I will defeat him."

Moridin laughed again, the same heartless laugh as before. "Perhaps you will," he said. "But do you think that matters? Consider it. The Wheel turns, time and time again. Over and over the Ages turn, and men fight the Great Lord. But someday, he will win, and when he does, the Wheel will stop.

"That is why his victory is assured. I think it will be this Age, but if not, then in another. When you are victorious, it only leads to another battle. When he is victorious, all things will end. Can you not see that there is no hope for you?"

"Is that what made you turn to his side?" Rand asked. "You were always so full of thoughts, Elan. Your logic destroyed you, didn't it?"

"There is no path to victory," Moridin said. "The only path is to follow the Great Lord and rule for a time before all things end. The others are fools. They look for grand rewards in the eternities, but there will be no eternities. Only the now, the last days."

Good, evil.. All very interesting. Or at least I think so.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:12 pm

This quote goes a long way to explaining the way time works in the Wheel of Time universe.

It can’t be the Last Battle. I don’t think it can. Maybe every Age has a Last Battle. Or most of them." Suddenly he frowned down his nose at the pipe in his teeth, and began rummaging across the table. "I have a tinderbox here somewhere."
"What do you mean it can’t be the Last Battle?" Rand tried to keep his voice smooth. Herid always came to the point; you just had to prod him toward it.
"What? Yes, exactly the point. It can’t be the Last Battle. Even if the Dragon Reborn seals the Dark One’s prison again as well as the Creator made it. Which I don’t think he can do." He leaned forward and lowered his voice conspiratorially. "He isn’t the Creator, you know, whatever they say in the streets. Still, it has to be sealed up again by somebody. The Wheel, you see."
"I don’t see... " Rand trailed off.
"Yes, you do. You’d make a good student." Snatching his pipe out, Herid drew a circle in the air with the stem. "The Wheel of Time. Ages come and go and come again as the Wheel turns. All the catechism." Suddenly he stabbed a point on that imaginary wheel. "Here the Dark One’s prison is whole. Here, they drilled a hole in it, and sealed it up again." He moved the bit of the pipe along the arc he had drawn. "Here we are. The seal’s weakening. But that doesn’t matter, of course." The pipestem completed the circle. "When the Wheel turns back to here, back to where they drilled the hole in the first place, the Dark One’s prison has to be whole again."
"Why? Maybe the next time they’ll drill through the patch. Maybe that’s how they could do it the last time – drill into what the Creator made, I mean – maybe they drilled the Bore through a patch and we just don’t know."
Herid shook his head. For a moment he stared at his pipe, once more realizing it was unlit, and Rand thought he might have to recall him again, but instead Herid blinked and went on. "Someone had to make it sometime. For the first time, that is. Unless you think the Creator made the Dark One’s prison with a hole and patch to begin." His eyebrows waggled at the suggestion. "No, it was whole in the beginning, and I think it will be whole again when the Third Age comes once more.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:02 pm

When I was in my late teens a series of events in life occurred which all had profound effect upon me, one of them was being given by seeming complete chance the book 'A Separate Reality' by Carlos Casteneda.
I knew nothing of them at the time, nor of the raging debate over if they were true or fiction. I don't think it really matters in the end, if they are true they are wondrous and important, and if they are fiction they are wonderful to read.
And many of the ideas they convey are no less valuable to ponder upon than Biblical insights are even without the belief of a God (for example, true or not I learned to do lucid dreaming from the instructions given in Casteneda)

Heres a couple of snippets from the audio book of Separate Reality (its really well read I think, the voice is very suitable for the subject matter, the whole thing is on youtube as well) for those who don't know the books they are supposedly Carlos, who was an anthropology student in the 1960's, account of his encounters with a Yaqui Indian he called Don Juan Matus, who claimed to be a shaman, or as he preferred a man of knowledge, and who took Carlos on as his apprentice, more or less-

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_nmrlzzRK9y1rjfh9io1_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:54 am

"You don’t really understand an antagonist until you understand why he’s a protagonist in his own version of the world."

— John Rogers

Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:48 am

"Princess Moonlight Ravens"

Rolling Eyes

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:57 am

Books suck. No
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:39 am

Suspect

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:53 am

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:02 am

Ah, well. I guess it's a natural consequense of working so closely with books. Shrugging

Bluebottle wrote:Oh, what always goes on in bookstores after dark, of course.

Contemplating rare books.
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_moogjhWTIO1rty05po1_250
Smoking a lot.
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_mqam9lZaxM1rob81ao4_r1_250
Using said rare books to try and summon the devil..
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_mqam9lZaxM1rob81ao1_250 Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_mqam9lZaxM1rob81ao8_r1_250
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_moogjhWTIO1rty05po8_r1_250 Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_mqam9lZaxM1rob81ao6_r1_250

Sorry, I just saw that movie a couple of days ago. I don't actually think you're trying to summon the devil, Eldo. Razz

Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_ndyo3y3rqc1shiv3ro1_500
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_ndyo3y3rqc1shiv3ro2_500
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_ndyo3y3rqc1shiv3ro4_500
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_ndyo3y3rqc1shiv3ro5_500
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_ndyo3y3rqc1shiv3ro6_500
Books! - Page 19 Tumblr_ndyo3y3rqc1shiv3ro3_500

There's something about book shops. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I was in the back today and took the liberty of filling in the blank on this title (the back cover asked "how would you finish this sentence?").

Books! - Page 19 MLCGjpB
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:53 pm

How poetic Laughing

Books! - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:56 pm

A bunch of (older) people at work didn't get it so just to be clear it's a reference to this song:

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:58 pm

It's also almost a CSNY song. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Also a great song. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Uh-mazing. Nod I hate that my favourite version isn't on youtube. It always feels a let down when you hear a less good one. (That, and knowing that Jimi Hendrix last recorded guitar solo was recorded over for that steel drum.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:17 pm

A great extract from the Cateneda books featuring one of my favourite characters/people in it- Don Genaro, also really like this Coyote guys readings of the books, very suitable voice for the subject matter-

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:20 pm

I just realized with all the excitement about Go Set a Watchman that some of the themes that set To Kill a Mockingbird apart is shared by Lord of the Rings: moral, heroic characters; perserverence in the face of almost certain defeat.  Tolkien was trying to restore these to Western literature, while Harper Lee brought them nearly fresh to American literature.  

These themes had been seen in US movies: westerns and film noir, but except for the otherwise ignored books the movies were based on, were not really seen by the reading public. Looked down upon as genera fiction. Tolkien managed to bring some respectability to fantasy, though of course almost nobody else could match it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:59 am

Read these books years ago by Terry Brooks, looks like there making it into a series.

Why New Zealand Serves As The Magical Backdrop To ‘The Shannara Chronicles’

http://www.mtv.com/news/2211027/the-shannara-chronicles-new-zealand/

Look forward to watching this.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27 ... 36  Next