Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 27 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next

Go down

Books! - Page 27 Empty Re: Books!

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 pm

And here's the relevant passages:

Nick was hungry. He did not believe he had ever been hungrier. He opened and emptied a can of pork and beans and a can of spaghetti into the frying pan.
"I've got a right to eat this kind of stuff if I'm willing to carry it," Nick said. His voice sounded strange in the darkening woods. He did not speak again.
He started a fire with some chunks of pine he got with the ax from a stump. Over the fire he stuck a wire grill, pushing the four legs down into the ground with his boot. Nick put the frying pan on the grill over the flames. He was hungry. The beans and spaghetti warmed. Nick stirred them and mixed them together. They began to bubble, making little bubbles that rose with difficulty to the surface. There was a good smell. Nick got out a bottle of tomato catchup and cut four slices of bread. The little bubbles were coming faster now. Nick sat down beside the fire and lifted the frying pan off. He poured about half the contents out into the tin plate. It spread slowly on the plate. Nick knew it was too hot. He poured on some tomato catchup. He knew the beans and spaghetti were still too hot. He looked at the fire, then at the tent, he was not going to spoil it all by burning his tongue. For years he had never enjoyed fried bananas because he had never been able to wait for them to cool. His tongue was very sensitive. He was very hungry. Across the river in the swamp in the almost dark he saw a mist rising. He looked at the tent once more. All right. He took a full spoonful from the plate.
"Christ," Nick said, "Jesus Christ," he said happily.
He ate the whole plateful before he remembered the bread. Nick finished the second plateful with the bread, mopping the plate shiny. He had not eaten since a cup of coffee and a ham sandwich in the station restaurant at St. Ignace. It had been a very fine experience. He had been that hungry before but had not been able to satisfy it. He could have made camp hours before if he had wanted to. There were plenty of good places to camp on the river. But this was good.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Such short, simple sentences. Strong writing though!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:20 am

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-best-christmas-movie-of-all-time-is-being-turned-in-1802147703

Laughing confused

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Hows it go then ? "on the 3rd day of Christmas I shot a Baddeeee, He fell out the top window ".... Very Happy
Actually it might be funny if it did go like that ? Smile

Books! - Page 27 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 27 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Laughing

For some reason my family doesn't want to add Die Hard to our staple of Christmas movies that we watch every year. Surely we could skip just one of those damn Rankin/Bass specials... Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:I have been rather enjoying the Earthsea-cycle. A bit limited by the YA audience at least the first books were aimed at, but that doesn't limit some nice world building and story telling too much. A more than decent fantasy story and world.

Have also been reading Hemingway's first bestseller, The Sun Also Rises. Rather an emersive read. Has wet my appetite for some more Hemingway reading, although I am not sure we altogether share the same view of the world.

I should imagine not. Laughing

I mainly remember the portion in which the friend goes on about how his face is a good face, "a face mothers should tell their daughters to go West with", and then he finishes by remarking, "God what an awful face."

Lots of that kind of chit-chatter in the book. The characters are usually sarcastic and droll, or at least trying to be. Oh, and they are often unable to "Catch up" (in getting drunk) with others in their party.

Catch up, and they make a whole song and dance about not getting "tight". It all embraces this idea of being pleasurably, and not overly, inebriated, which I must admit I like. That whole book has a lot of atmosphere.

I was getting into For Whom the Bell Tolls while in Spain. It is excellent reading, although brutal stuff. Sadly I don't manage to find as much time for reading back here in Norway. Managed a quite neat feat of reading the book on a hiking trip in the same area it is set. In the mountains between Madrid and Segovia, south of La Granja de San Ildefonso. (Incidentally that is where the Royal Palace of the pre-republic Spanish royal family was. (It is a sort of Versaille in Spanish size, if you will.) The palace actually comes with several sekoias/giant redwood trees, might be able to dig up some pictures.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:18 am

Hey! Like, where's all the pictures and stories about spain? Evil or Very Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 am

Speaking of recent vacations, I never did mention what I ended up reading while we were camping. I picked up a copy of Outlander since it fit the pattern of being a really long SF novel (though sort of a genre mash-up: time-travel historical romance that is shelved in the general fiction section of bookstores Razz) and because I had enjoyed the first couple episodes of the TV series back when it premiered, although I found it kinda slow. The book was enjoyable enough for the most part though I don't think I was necessarily the target audience ...

Spoiler:

My birthday occurred towards the end of the trip and I was able to open my gift from Baingil since it had arrived before we left, and it was Enchantress from the Stars, which is a YA SF novel. I had never heard of it before but it had rave reviews on the back cover from Lois Lowry and Ursula K. Le Guin among others, which was promising. I'd say I enjoyed it more than Outlander, though the two books aren't very similar (there's a romantic subplot in Enchantress but it's very tame in comparison). The book is set on a planet that's an awful lot like medieval Earth, but the three POV characters come from planets with widely varying levels of technological advancement. The writing style shifted from POV to POV; for example, the medieval kid's chapters were written in a very fairy tale sorta style, while the other chapters were in a more conventional modern style. Anyway, 'twas a good time, though the ending was kinda sad to me. It was clearly meant to be bittersweet but I think it might've gotten to me more than intended. But that probably has something to do with my emotional state on and around my birthday. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm

I've always been intrested in Outlander myself, as I did like the show (bar its somewhat over the top "romantic literature" leanings.) I'll jot down a distinct "meh.." in the considerations of myself giving it a go then Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm

halfwise wrote:Hey!  Like, where's all the pictures and stories about spain? Evil or Very Mad

mmmmmmm, indeeed Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Eldorion wrote:Laughing

For some reason my family doesn't want to add Die Hard to our staple of Christmas movies that we watch every year. Surely we could skip just one of those damn Rankin/Bass specials... Mad

You could try Die Hard 2 or Lethal Weapon instead? Razz Laughing

(Die Hard is a great action that happens to be set at Christmas, but it's not really a Christmas movie, Muppets Christmas Carol The Nightmare Before Christmas or Bad Santa ( Wink ) are better examples that get me in the Xmas spirit)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 am

Die Hard. I shall have to watch that again right after I finish reading through Blue's chronicle of his 6 weeks in Spain, with pictures.

Oh, wait. Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 am

I actually do really enjoy The Muppet Christmas Carol, even though I didn't see it for the first time until I was 20. That's one of the few non-animated films in my step-mom's Christmas movie rotation. A Christmas Story is pretty good too, though the lack of childhood nostalgia on my part might be part of the reason I don't like it as much as some people I know.

Still never seen Bad Santa. I should try suggesting that this year. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes, definitely see Bad Santa.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Well, not really books per se, but online books picked for being able to be read in about an hour.

New York was advertising these as http://www.subwaylibrary.com but it redirects to https://simplye.net

I've been reading the stolen moon rocks story, each chapter is just a few pages long. Perfect if you just need a little something every now and then.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 pm

I recently ordered away for some books. Some for me, some for Christmas presents. Anyway, has anyone read the horror novels The Troop by Nick Cutter or Bird Box by Josh Malerman? For horror I haven't really read anything but Stephen King in so long that I wanted to try a different author out for size, and they were well reviewed.
Books! - Page 27 17571466
Books! - Page 27 51md5T16SkL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_

Anyway, I sent for some Neil Gaiman for my sister (The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances). I've really enjoyed Gaiman's anthologies in the past, well, Smoke and Mirrors anyway.
Books! - Page 27 51QcQI8pqBL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_

Max Brooks (author of World War Z) novelized Minecraft apparently, so I got that for my nephew.
Books! - Page 27 51va2SwYWRL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_

In terms of what I've actually been reading lately, I've been working my way through the campaign guide to Horror on the Orient Express, which is a campaign for the Lovecraftian tabletop roleplaying game Call of Cthulhu. It's got some pretty juicy stuff in it: Lovecraftian vampires, an artifact of Prometheus(the movie)-like origins, and of course exotic train travel through Europe in the early 1920s.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 pm

I'm reading "When The Women Come Out To Dance" by Elmore Leonard. A collection of short stories mainly around women. Been good so far. Just short stories, one story is only 5 pages in length.

Books! - Page 27 Elmore10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Going back a bit to Forrest's last post: what's a Lovecraftian vampire like?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18 am

Reading Fire and Fury: inside the Trump White House. A fun ride. I'd say at least 20% of it is his own authorial slant on things, but when he's doing direct quotations it has the ring of truth.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:43 am

halfwise wrote:Going back a bit to Forrest's last post: what's a Lovecraftian vampire like?
Rather less interesting than the usual kind, but with most of the usual weaknesses and powers. Unwholesome, that's for sure, and unable to pass on its vampiric state.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:35 pm

definitely buying Fire and Fury Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:25 pm

Well that's not a take on the Beast that you see very often:

Books! - Page 27 F346514dd4888257c4015483453afad1--fairy-tale-illustrations-vintage-illustrations

It's from the illustrations for The Beauty and the Beast by H. J. Ford.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:17 pm

Que ???

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 pm

¡Esto es Loco! ¿¡¿Que esta pasando?!?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:22 am

hablas mehicano, senorita? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next