CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
27 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Oscar Watch - Page 13 Empty Re: Oscar Watch

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:18 pm

I thought he played a good Elf though. Legolas wasn't exactly well drawn in the books.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:41 am

Yeah, it went to American Sniper.  And with that, The Hobbit trilogy is in the books as far as awards go.

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:57 am

Mrs Figg wrote:''a scifi with distant buildings, ships taking of for landing,or in fantasy distant mountains, castles, cities ect- when its does it that way, in much the way classic matte painting was used I think it can be photo-realistic, but when its done like TH was it does not look at all realistic.'' Petty

GOT is proof of that. Nod  its got the right balance, real stuff in the foreground, cgi in the distance.

Game of Thrones looks really good. That's true Nod

I wonder when that show is coming back on. I remember hearing about how the show has caught up to the books so I'm not sure what they're doing now.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:07 am

Game of Thrones season 5 starts on April 12.  There's a bunch of us eagerly waiting for that in the GOT and ASOIAF threads over in the Arts and Entertainment forum. Very Happy

This is going to be the last season with any substantial storylines being adapted from currently published books, unless George RR Martin delivers the sixth book in less than 12 months, but even then, the scripts for season six will have been written before the book comes out.  From what has leaked out about S5, the show appears to be taking greater liberties with the source material then before.  The showrunners have been briefed by GRRM about his plan for the ultimate ending of the series, but it's only a broad strokes vision and the show will likely take a significantly different path to get there than the last few books will.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:41 am

Well that has me conflicted now. On the one hand, I want more Game of Thrones. On the other though, if that's coming at the cost of fidelity to the source material I wonder if the quality will be there too. I never read Game of Thrones, but I can respect the reservations those who have might hold.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:48 am

The fourth and fifth ASOIAF books were a big step down in quality, in part because of how slow paced they were, so I think the show has a chance to improve on the originals here. I stress the phrase "a chance" because it's quite possible it'll end up nonsensical, but I'm not ready to write this off as a failed experiment. The show is definitely going to finish years ahead of the show, though, so we'll have to wait a long time to learn just how faithful they are. And even then we might not know because GRRM's plan could well change between now and when actually writes the final book.

Part of me is disappointed that the end of a story that I started reading in print is going to come in TV form, but on the other hand, it's nice to be able to be confident that the show will actually conclude. Laughing I'm excited to see how it turns out though. This is the season I've been eager to see since the show began.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:01 am

New material not covered in the books so far will mostly start to appear next year, not this I think. And by that time George might very well have the next book out. (Here's hoping anyway.) But it's becoming pretty clear that the show will finish before the book series.

I'm a bit hesitant at that, as I feel they've dropped the ball a bit with some of the storylines they've been adapting from already published material. How will they fare then when they only have basic plot points to go off? The same probably. Razz

It will be interesting to see how people react to this season, seeing as the material they are adapting, as Eldo says, for good and bad is a lot slower in pace.

Still, it's good to remember, as George said, that the series is the series and the books are the books. Eventually we will have both and can judge for ourselves. And it strikes me with these large fantasy series that the journey is often as interesting as the conclusion, which often is quite formulaic. A final battle betwen good and evil. How many ways can it end really?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:04 pm

I've found that the script writing is better when Benioff is doing the adaptation than when George does. So I for one feel the show has a chance of being better than the books. But I wonder if George will wall himself off to keep his writing from being contaminated. With two books to go that will be nearly impossible.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:25 pm

List of winners.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 pm

I really want to see The Theory of Everything. Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:16 pm

At least George and the writing team seem to be in communication and have a good relationship, so things can be planned out and differences discussed, I am sure they have mutual respect.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Eldorion wrote:Yeah, it went to American Sniper.  And with that, The Hobbit trilogy is in the books as far as awards go.

Spoiler:

I thought Birdman won?

fake edit. oh you mean sound editing Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Birdman won Best Picture, Directing, Original Screenplay, and Cinematography! cheers

I really want to see Whiplash. Nod

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Commence the butthurt!

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=838685;sb=post_time;so=DESC;guest=132712244

Moon

Well, most of the posts seem pretty reasonable and sober. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:54 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Commence the butthurt!

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=838685;sb=post_time;so=DESC;guest=132712244

Moon

Well, most of the posts seem pretty reasonable and sober. Shrugging

pity I cant read the butthurt. Surprised
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:19 am

Mrs Figg wrote:At least George and the writing team seem to be in communication and have a good relationship, so things can be planned out and differences discussed, I am sure they have mutual respect.

from my understanding doesn't Martin help with the script writing? I could be wrong but I thought in the past he was involved in that aspect of the show. So if that's the case I'm sure we have nothing to worry about.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:46 am

I think they pass everything by him for approval before they do anything drastic.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:10 am

Mrs Figg wrote: I think they pass everything by him for approval before they do anything drastic.

That's sorta what I heard too

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:20 am

I don't recall having heard anything like that.  GRRM has expressed his dissatisfaction with a number of changes in the show, though that apparently hasn't stopped him from having a working relationship with the showrunners and contributing a script a season.  I can't imagine HBO having agreed to give GRRM veto power over the show either when they were negotiating things back in 2006-07.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:32 am

Eldorion wrote:I don't recall having heard anything like that.  GRRM has expressed his dissatisfaction with a number of changes in the show, though that apparently hasn't stopped him from having a working relationship with the showrunners and contributing a script a season.  I can't imagine HBO having agreed to give GRRM veto power over the show either when they were negotiating things back in 2006-07.

I don't think he has "veto power" but probably helps comes up with a solution to ideas he drastically disapproves of. I know he has stated that the books and the show may take drastically different paths now that some characters are caught up with their book counterparts

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:53 am

They clearly have an amicable working relationship, disagreements and all. I think he's better at coming up with stories but they're better at writing scripts (despite his being an experienced script writer) so things work out fine.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:33 am

halfwise wrote:They clearly have an amicable working relationship, disagreements and all.  I think he's better at coming up with stories but they're better at writing scripts (despite his being an experienced script writer) so things work out fine.

Completely agree Halfy

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:51 am

Obviously there are staff writers and script polishes and the like but I liked the GRRM-scripted episodes in S2 and S3 (can't remember enough about his first season one). Apparently the script he wrote for S4 was split over two episodes due to some structural changes made late in the game.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:17 am

I'm sure the screen writers are in on the direction of the new book so it will at least mesh with the show a little. I'm sure what they do wont effect Martin or the story in the next book but I think Martin would at least cue the screenwriters in on the direction the next book is going so the show would stay a bit on track

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Still haven't got round to watching the show, I don't watch that much TV and I usually prefer to read the source material first (I like having my own imagery of the 'true' story first rather than seeing someones else's interpretation of things) however if things are going to be that different I might end up giving in at some point (I usually marathon TV series a season or two at a time, hate waiting...)...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next