Turembar
Norc
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
Lancebloke
33 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 40 Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 pm

I havent played a huge amount of it, but played an hourish at a friends.
Its nice enough looking, game mechanics arent going to make you think the wheel has been reinvented but it all seems to work.
But I did think however that the narrative and relationships were done were very well indeed and were a step up from the usual big game fare.
And if you are already a fan of post apocalyptic style settings that will also add to its appeal for you.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 40 Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time.

Post by Lancebloke Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:45 am

I have no idea how far through I am but I am really enjoying it. There are a couple of dodgy game mechanics that I am surprised havent been fixed, however the atmosphere has been captured really well and the characters are good. Ellie, the girl on the cover, is actually a candidate for one of my favourite characters in any game. I really recommend giving it at proper go if you get a chance.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 pm

I dont think its out on pc.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Isnt it? You should borrow a playstation then!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:56 pm

The latest build of Elite:Frontier First Encounters by AndyJ (with new textures by Nanite) is almost ready for release, and its looking very nice indeed for a 25 year old game! Can't wait.

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 40 KPENrHt_zps434b2d69

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:06 pm

It's very easy to forget about the past, and to forget about who you used to be. So when you take the time to revisit mementos of your former self (and for my generation those mementos are often stored in a digital format or found online) the surreality of the experience and the sense of loss that accompanies it is saddening, and very strange.
I just spent an hour or so looking over my old posts on the Lord of the Rings Online forums, and on my kinships (read, LotRO version of Guilds) website. The fact that the game itself is dying seems to echo my own departure from it. It's like coming back to the ruin of a house you used to live in, or visiting a place from your childhood.
MMOs really are powerful games. The simulated community aspect is the one that is most often mentioned by social critiques. However, with more and more time passing since they first appeared I think we begin to see that, just like real-life communities, they can age and die and the survivors are left with the "memories" (as in, the digital remnants, old forums etc.) just like real life.
Sad

Anyway, I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to say something before the emotion left and my life made me forget, once again, about who I used to be.
I really miss that naive feeling of limitless potential that I had when I first started questing in the Ered Luin on my Elf Guardian character. I was literally playing on a mountain-side and the future landscape stretched into the distance; what an obvious metaphor.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:I just spent an hour or so looking over my old posts on the Lord of the Rings Online forums, and on my kinships (read, LotRO version of Guilds) website. The fact that the game itself is dying seems to echo my own departure from it. It's like coming back to the ruin of a house you used to live in, or visiting a place from your childhood.

I've never played LOTRO, but I've posted on several forums that are now dead or dying, and revisiting them is always a painful experience for me, even if there is also a nostalgic joy to it.  The permanent and comprehensive nature of forum archives makes it really easy to relive old experiences in vivid detail, but that makes the sense of loss more acute.  It's especially shitty if you're not in touch with any of the people you knew before, but even if you still are with some of them, something is lost when the group isn't still interacting together in the same setting (virtual or otherwise).

Anyway, I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to say something before the emotion left and my life made me forget, once again, about who I used to be.
I really miss that naive feeling of limitless potential that I had when I first started questing in the Ered Luin on my Elf Guardian character. I was literally playing on a mountain-side and the future landscape stretched into the distance; what an obvious metaphor.

That's true, and really well expressed. It does feel that there are less options the more time you spend in one "place". :/ I dunno if this post is getting too mopey, but yours really spoke to me in relation to some emotional stuff I've been going through.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Young men starting to feel old! Smile

All I can say is, "Welcome to the club I'll buy you a round!" pub

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks Dave. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:30 pm

I used to play various MMOs as well, and I stayed in the same guild for a long time. We had a forum where lots of people were active, we played together, had conversations on teamspeak and some of them (10-15 guys) even met somewhere in England (can't remember where) just for fun. We got to know each other over the course of 2-3 years, but in time people began to leave (including me), and that was a very strange feeling. You hit the nail on the head about MMOs I think, well put Smile

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 40 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:30 am

Thanks. I was feeling rather mopey as Eldo said, hence the unusually intent attempt at philosophical musings.I appreciate that you guys feel the same: it helps legitimize what I said and prove it wasn't just mid-week blues.
Anyway, I'm off for the night. I have the chores and a delivery to do, and tomorrow is the first day of the county fair; should be a good time. Smile

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:38 am

Hope you feel better soon, Forest. Smile Enjoy the fair!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:16 am

Elite Dangerous tv spot-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:08 am

After nearly a year of sitting on my wallet, I finally caved and bought (and played through) Season 2 of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games.

It's hard to describe how I feel at the moment. It was very good. I'm not sure I could say if it was better or not as good as Season 1. I think they both do different things very well. At the end of Season 1 the player is confronted with the choices they made during the game (good and bad), while Season 2 took a character that many players loved and pushed the player to the limits to either defend or go against them, and in the end ultimately decide their fate.

I had a great time playing, and there were tears at the end. Sad

I was surprised to see that I was in the minority in the final choice I made. About 22 percent of players made the choice I did, 78 percent did not. It seemed like a no-brainer to me at the time, but now I'm starting to doubt it. Although, I do not plan to go back and change that choice.

I also like the addition of the "My Choices" menu, so you can go back and see where you stand in comparison to other players (in Season 1 it only showed you your choices in comparison to others at the end of a chapter, but now it can be viewed from the main menu).

I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone who wants a story/character driven game, you don't have to watch the tv show (I don't).

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:14 am

Uh oh, now I'm watching the alternative choices for the final chapter of Season 2.

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 40 Job

Mad

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 40 VQxJV

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:25 am

Having looked at the other choices, I don't see how they can make all of this line up for all players in Season 3. At the end of Season 1 the player had made some tough decisions, but everything led to the same point and everyone started Season 2 at the exact same spot. Now there's so many different endings, I'm not sure what's going to happen, or if there will even be a Season 3. Shrugging I hope there is.

-------

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/viewtopic.forum?t=1137

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40