Eldorion
Mrs Figg
Norc
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Kony 2012 - Page 3 Empty Re: Kony 2012

Post by Mirabella Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:02 pm

He's such an American, Orwell. Can't admit to his hypocrisy... they're all the same... Rolling Eyes

Woman strong enough to not fear beauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:06 pm

I feel for the boy, Mirabella... and Eldo's self-seeking apologetics can't deflect me from that... Being a Father, I can understand the damage that adults can do by their heartless trampling of a child's feelings, whether the damage is experienced currently, or will be inevitably be experienced in the future.... Sad

You know, Eldo has never shown much compassion for children in my experience. Me, me, me type, if you know what I mean. Can't put himself in someone else's shoes... And he definitely doesn't like admitting to being a cad, even when he clearly is being one... Nod

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirabella Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:11 pm

You could never be a cad, could you, Orwell... You lovely hobbit. I love you

Woman strong enough to not fear beauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Oh stop it... Embarassed But you're right. If anyone ever tested my DNA they'd find not a trace of caddishness, methinks... Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 pm

scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:53 am

Mrs Figg wrote:I want to know why this guy has gone suddenly fruit loop? Shocked

Well, he has had some dreadful days, the movie has been seen world wide over night and equally quick he has basicly been accused of using the child soldiers agony and his own son's honest face to steal money from kind people. It could melt anyone's brain... Sad

I guess he was easier to take down than Kony, why care about the faith of some kids far away when there is a popular YT video for the media to milk?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Or maybe he could just buy bigger and better drugs with the money he purloined from guilty-minded Westerners? Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Orwell wrote:(...)Being a Father, I can understand the damage that adults can do by their heartless trampling of a child's feelings (...)

Orwell wrote:Or maybe he could just buy bigger and better drugs with the money he purloined from guilty-minded Westerners? Very Happy

Mhm... Missus left the room and couldn't read over your shoulder anymore, am I right?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Embarassed

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:34 am

I'm mostly with Eldo on this one. As an expose, the KONY video has some merit. But it seems more like a propaganda piece meant to drum up Liberal and Progressive support for another war. Mad

What sucks is that some good Hollywood Liberal/Progressive types are buying into the Right Wing rhetoric.

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

Kony 2012 - Page 3 Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I saw on a facebook page the day after Whitney Houston Died the following -' One Celebrity dies millions mourn'- then a picture of Africa and 'Millions die nobody mourns'.
Simplistic but sadly probably close to the truth. Its the nature of our culture.

So true. Crying or Very sad

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:39 am

Mrs Figg wrote:That looked suspiciously like Orwell from behind. Embarassed Moon

no but really is that him? I wonder whats has happened, I guess he wont be showing his kid photos and saying "who is the weird naked guy?".

Nice to see that my emoticon is being used wisely. Very Happy

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 am

Eldorion wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:no but really is that him? I wonder whats has happened, I guess he wont be showing his kid photos and saying "who is the weird naked guy?".

Kony 2012 - Page 3 H03qV

Very Happy

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:45 am

Mirabella wrote:He's such an American, Orwell. Can't admit to his hypocrisy... they're all the same... Rolling Eyes

I know a few Aussies that might fit that bill too. Razz Very Happy

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:59 am

Like Eldo, I spent a good chunk of this morning on Facebook discussing this.Some Lefty posted the following video saying how great it was. What follows that is my response.

ME:

Sorry. NO!!! Alex Jones is Spinning the Truth to promote his OWN Right Wing John Birch Society Propaganda.

Alex is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT to speak out against the prospect of an imminent "humanitarian" war and the propaganda supporting it. Democracy cannot be spread by a Sword wielded by the ANTI-democratic 1%.

But he is also ABSOLUTELY WRONG to blame "Liberals" for promoting the potential war. There is NOTHING "Liberal" about the RIGHT Wing Corporate agenda.

IF Bono, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, and a number of other Liberal and Progressive people are buying the Right Wing propaganda for war (and I don't yet know how much of that is true), then they have been fooled by the same sort of propaganda that led us to war in Iraq. That doesn't make them the instigators, or "fronts" for the Corporate Imperialists . It just makes them dupes.

If Alex Jones hadn't undermined his own credibility with his anti-Gay, anti-Feminist, anti-Latino, anti-"Communist," anti-Illuminati, anti-Freemason bullshit, I might take him more seriously. Also undermining his credibility are the assertions on his websites that the 1% and their politicians (including Obama) are part of a LITERAL Secret Satanic Conspiracy. As "evidence" he proffers the ridiculous notion that they (the individuals that head the Corporate State, including the Obamas) use "Devil" hand signs to display their allegiance. He has also supported Birtherism.

Yes, ALL Leftists should oppose the invasion and occupations of African Nations. But we don't need Alex Jones to make that case for us. We are better off disowning Alex and attempting to avoid the inevitable conflation of Leftist Conspiracy FACTS with his kooky John Birch Conspiracy rhetoric, and guilt by association with him.

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Liberals for War? Shocked

About bloody time! cheers

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Kony has been around a long time. I first heard of him in 1996, in a letter from a friend working at an orhanage in Uganda. It was something like "...a nucklehead called Kony is making trouble up north". Since then I followed it a little from what bits and pieces came out in the news from time to time. Kony has fallen from strength over the years however, and now seems more a the leader of a dwindling renegade band, hiding in the jungle. In fact, he reminds me of a real life version of the ficticious rogue American Colonel in the Vietnam War film 'Apocyplse Now'.

As far as this recent film-maker guy goes, what can one possibly make of it. The one thing that seems certain, is he totally and I mean totally, freaked out. It is interesting, but also depressing, to see people take the politically polar view, that is interpret it thru the left and right lenses independantly. (And I hereby name them 'Polar Bears' Laughing )
One observation I could make is that in his film, he makes he himself and his role, an important player in the situation, making dramatic claims and creating expectations. What comes to mind is his having gotten carried away at some point and developing something like 'delusions of grandeur'. Anyway, it gives me a sense he was not all that stable before the film released.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm

You wouldn't be the only person to feel that way, Turembar. Screenings of Kony 2012 in Uganda were apparently halted because some of the audience members who were personally affected by Kony took offense to the video, in part because of the focus on Jason Russell and his son. I think the violent reaction from some people was over the top (clearly) but I can understand why it was considered. Full story.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:18 am

The whole Kony thing reeks of danger and fraudulence and things delusionary. (Remember, delusionary 'things' are not all about 'things' being all-out-of-whack, much may make objective sense, but it's a few tiny mental-malfunctionings in the mix that make "delusions" actual delusions! Delusionary behaviour/thoughts can seem quite normal at times, it's how crowds get sucked in, before they have time and space to think things out, or find out or see the whole picture. Danger! Danger! Danger! Hitler operated the same way. He was deluded but a lot of people got sucked in at first and then it was too late. Beware bandwagons. They rarely end up being good things. Shocked

So says I who is wise in the ways of the world. Very Happy

I say to you all: "Follow me,my Brothers and Sisters, and no child will be persecuted, no woman accosted, no man made to go hungry!" And send money - I shall see that good is done for EVERYONE! Forumshire can be a far better place! (Though we may need to tinker ever so slightly with some of the Rules here!)

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 am

Jumping to conclusions has become the national pastime in the USA. Lemmings jump to conclusions too.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3