David H
The Wobbit A Parody
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
23 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 39 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by the truth Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 am

actually the proper american usage would be " your ass is grass and Im the lawn mower " cheers
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 39 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm

that'll do it
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Note how matter of fact she it, Truth. But keep groveling, it does seem to help.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:26 pm

But its a lot more fun to pull her hair and then run away and hide. Sofa

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm

On a previous topic, Obama announced a series of Executive orders relating to gun violence. I was worried this would create justifiable backlash because it essentially circumvents congressional approval, but he mainly just removed roadblocks to background checks and research into gun violence which gun lobbies had previously managed to put in place. I call these all eminently reasonable red tape cutting, and will be indignant (though not shocked, alas) if there is a backlash.

http://www.businessinsider.com/obamas-executive-actions-on-gun-control-2013-1

Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper
training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obamas-executive-actions-on-gun-control-2013-1#ixzz2IAV0XXCn

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't think any of these will make a huge difference, but it at least clears away some deadwood and starts a few reasonable initiatives.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 pm

None of those sound unreasonable to me. A number of my Facebook friends were panicking because they thought Obama was about to sweep away the Second Amendment unilaterally, but based on that list he seems to be within the bounds of his authority. More sweeping action will have to come through Congress, of course.

I still expect a backlash, btw.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I've already seen some backlash: people complaining about new regulations requiring more government money. Unless this is related to the CDC funding it appears most people can't be bothered to read what they write about.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:15 pm

As a gun owner I dont have a problem with any of that and could actually add more to it
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm

I didnt look at the stuff on the link
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Its a step anyway have you been to Bree they are fighting like cats and dogs over there
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm

the truth wrote:As a gun owner I dont have a problem with any of that and could actually add more to it

Yep, if the NRA will take a similarly reasoned approach it will be a signal that the country may finally get somewhere rather than digging separate trenches and taking turns shooting at the other side.

Then I may start dreaming about this spilling over into a balanced bipartisan approach to the budget, immigration, the drug war....oops, looks like I've been drinking at work again. Embarassed

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:34 pm

I have no use for the NRA they are the shoe rubber of gun manufacturers
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 pm

the truth wrote:Its a step anyway have you been to Bree they are fighting like cats and dogs over there

Just returned from Bree, it's like dwarves tossing crockery about.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 am

Just watched the Pres. talk about the proposals on gun control. As an American citizen and gun owner I really dont have any problem with the proposals , they are very good ideas as how to stop the problems we have in our society today with firearms getting into the wrong hands , HOWEVER I do have seriouse issues with what I witnessed on the evening news (ABC NEWS Network) The president was shown with a few very young children who had wrote letters to him because they are very traumatized by the recent events , they expressed the fears they had of something like the Newtowne massacre happening to them. I think it is great that he took the time and consideration as a parent and person of authority to try and console them and put there fears to rest that responsible adults and the govt would do everything in our power to prevent these things from happening so that they will be able to grow and enjoy child hood like children should .
what i have an issue with is bringing them out in front of the media and essentially using them as a TOOL to manipulate the feelings of voters and Congress to help push ANY laws through . This is just wrong . Children are not allowed to vote , there is a reason why children cant vote , they have not developed enough to make decisions that adults do , they dont understand all of the consequences of those decisions . IMO this behavior is unacceptable its no different than parents going through a divorce and one parent trying to use the child against the other parent , its wrong and will not ever be right .

That being said I dont even have a problem with the Pres. using Executive powers to get these changes through , But not before trying to get them approved through Congress first, If Congress wont cooperate then Use Executive Powers , But DO NOT EVER USE CHILDREN to get the job done . Children are innocent and very impressionable , they are immitators and will exhibit the same behaviors that they see used around them.. using children pissses me off 100 times more than taking any constitutional rights away from me .
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:05 am

Dwarves throwing crockery, or toddlers throwing toys out the pram? Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:08 am

what the heck is a pram Figgs
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 am

a perambulator.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 am

ok Now I feel really stupid , never heard of perambulator
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 am

its a... er.....dont know what it is in the US. ....a baby buggy? a push chair?

scratch study
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 am

those things women push around in supermarkets and bruise your shins with. with a screaming kid inside.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 am

a shopping cart Oh my I was thinking well you know B.O.B. {{battery operated boyfriend}}
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 am

I get what you are saying about not using children for political ends, Truth. It's done all the time and I think people who do it don't think about what it may look like, they just see cute kids helping to underline their points.

As far as the executive order goes, it does kind of come down to skirmishes between the executive and legislative branches. In this case I think these were small items that are reasonable to implement and getting it tied up in congress is a waste of everyone's time. If he moves up to bigger things then he's meddling where he shouldn't be and I'd be dead set against it, even if I agreed with what he was doing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 am

we agree whooo hooo I feel the same funny how things work out
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 am

You have brought attention to an important truth about most people, Truth. People don't always agree on everything, but if one is patient, tolerant and truly listens, one usually finds they agree with other people on more things than they might think - even their enemies. Nod

{{{This does not, of course, apply to Odo Banks and Petty Tyrant Very Happy }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next