azriel
David H
Bluebottle
malickfan
Eldorion
15 posters

Page 1 of 28 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] Empty continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by Eldorion Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:46 am

Just what we need: the possibility of losing our best defense against gerrymandering.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/supreme-court-weighs-overturning-dozens-of-congressional-districts-20150302

Last edited by Eldorion on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Florida Officials Were Barred From Using The Term 'Climate Change' Once Rick Scott Took Power
The Huffington Post | By Amanda Terkel

Officials responsible for making sure Florida is prepared to respond to the earth's changing climate are barred from using the terms "global warming" and "climate change" in official communications, emails and reports, according to new findings from the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting.

"We were told that we were not allowed to discuss anything that was not a true fact," said Kristina Trotta, a former Florida Department of Environmental Protection employee.

Another former employee added, "We were dealing with the effects and economic impact of climate change, and yet we can't reference it."

Climate change is a major problem for Florida. Last year, the National Climate Assessment named Miami as one of the cities in the United States most vulnerable to damage from rising sea levels. A Southeast Florida Regional Climate Compact paper has also warned that water in the area could rise by as much as 2 feet by the year 2060.

But the state's governor, Republican Rick Scott, has frustrated scientists by downplaying the problem.

Last year, a reporter asked Scott whether man-made climate change "is significantly affecting the weather, the climate." Scott tried to change the subject and replied, "Well, I'm not a scientist."

When asked by the Tampa Bay Times in 2010 whether he believed in climate change, Scott simply replied, "No."

In August, five climate scientists met with Scott and told him he needs to do more to protect the state from rising sea levels.

According to the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting, the policy against mentioning global warming went into effect after Scott took office in 2011 and appointed Herschel Vinyard Jr. as the agency's director.

Christopher Byrd, a counsel with the state Department of Environmental Protection, said he first heard about the policy at a staff meeting in 2011.

"Deputy General Counsel Larry Morgan was giving us a briefing on what to expect with the new secretary," Byrd recalled, saying he gave them "a warning to beware of the words global warming, climate change and sea-level rise, and advised us not to use those words in particular."

"I did infer from this meeting that this was a new policy, that these words were to be prohibited for use from official DEP policy-making with our clients," he added.

The agency's press secretary told the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting that "DEP does not have a policy on this." The governor's office similarly said, "There's no policy on this."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/08/florida-global-warming_n_6826824.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Rolling Eyes

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Eldorion wrote:Just what we need: the possibility of losing our best defense against gerrymandering.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/supreme-court-weighs-overturning-dozens-of-congressional-districts-20150302

The Arizona law is logical, but it would be better if some constitutional mechanism was put in place to reduce gerrymandering everywhere. It's funny that the Arizona Republicans put the law into effect, and Supreme Court conservatives may strike it down. They really should leave it be unless they want to force a constitutional amendment.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:58 am

Read it and weep, Brits. Smugdog

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/supermarkets/11037156/Americanisms-that-take-the-biscuit.html

Edit: see also http://m.bbc.com/news/14130942
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:34 am

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/lindsey-graham-ive-never-sent-email-n319571

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:46 am

I'd like to see an age stratified comparison between democrats and republicans with regard to technology use. I wonder if there's a difference?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Eldorion wrote:Read it and weep, Brits. Smugdog

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/supermarkets/11037156/Americanisms-that-take-the-biscuit.html

Edit: see also http://m.bbc.com/news/14130942

Evil or Very Mad

In all seriousness though, I have noticed more and more Americanisms creeping into British English, some of it is common sense admittedly (I didn't realize we spelt 'Jail' Gaol until I was 18...) but it is kinda annoying remembering which is which...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:41 pm

Well the good news is that in 50 years all the current Americanisms will be so firmly entrenched in British English that no one will remember where they came from. Nod Though I imagine there will be newer Americanisms to annoy people in the future too. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:23 pm

The servant has become the master? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:24 pm

You can't only just now be noticing that, Blue. Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:30 pm

What happened to the British Empire? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:51 pm

It's still around ... technically.

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] SaLsq7ah
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Don't forget the 50'x50' tract of beach where Captain Cook was killed in 1779 on the Big Island in Hawaii. It was ceded to Great Britain by the Hawaiian Monarchy in 1873 and still remains under  Crown rule today. (Why it doesn't have a pub I'll never understand Mad )

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] Captain_cook_monument

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Where did it all go? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:23 pm

The Romans asked the same question Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:27 pm

malickfan wrote:... I have noticed more and more Americanisms creeping into British English, some of it is common sense admittedly (I didn't realize we spelt 'Jail' Gaol until I was 18...) but it is kinda annoying remembering which is which...

Wait, are they meant to be pronounced the same way? I just assumed that 'gaol' was a british word for jail that we never use over here...not the same word.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 pm

David H wrote:Don't forget the 50'x50' tract of beach where Captain Cook was killed in 1779 on the Big Island in Hawaii. It was ceded to Great Britain by the Hawaiian Monarchy in 1873 and still remains under  Crown rule today. (Why it doesn't have a pub I'll never understand Mad )

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] Captain_cook_monument

Really?! I never knew that. That's kinda cool. Got to be some sneaky way to make use of it: I assume US has no authority there, so you could conduct all sorts of nefarious activity and buggery on that little square so long as nobody tells the UK about it...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 am

halfwise wrote:

Really?!  I never knew that.  That's kinda cool.  Got to be some sneaky way to make use of it: I assume US has no authority there, so you could conduct all sorts of nefarious activity and buggery on that little square so long as nobody tells the UK about it...

I was thinking maybe Edward Snowden could build a little bungalow.... Smile

{{{by the way, I believe buggery is legal in Hawaii. It would be a nice way to celebrate Captain Cook's naval legacy though... }}}

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 am

Mrs Figg wrote:The Romans asked the same question Very Happy

Yes, bu do you think they've gotten an answer yet? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:35 am

Entropy? Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:20 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/19/wonkbook-obama-suggests-requiring-everyone-to-vote/?tid=rssfeed

Yeah, this is a terrible idea.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Maybe, what do the OZhobbits think- they've had this law for a while I believe.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:25 pm

What is the penalty in Oz for not voting? Chris? Orwell? Get in dis thread!!!!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:27 pm

What is the penalty in Oz for not voting? - Bungo

Boomeranged? Strapped to a hyperactive kangaroo and released into the outback? Forced to drink American beer? Shrugging

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:32 pm

one of those funnel web spiders down the pants
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 28 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next