azriel
David H
Bluebottle
malickfan
Eldorion
15 posters

Page 2 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Left for the dingos, no doubt. No

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:33 pm

I've never been comfortable with the idea of mandatory voting. As the great political philosopher Geddy Lee once said, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." Mandatory voting takes away that aspect of free democratic choice.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:33 pm

having to cut their mullets off?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:34 pm

being forced to wear shirts with sleeves?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Eldorion wrote:I've never been comfortable with the idea of mandatory voting.  As the great political philosopher Geddy Lee once said, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."  Mandatory voting takes away that aspect of free democratic choice.

I chose not to vote this last congressional election. I live in a heavy republican district, so my vote wouldn't have mattered for the US house, and the Gov. and Senate seat were pretty much locked down by the Dems.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:39 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I chose not to vote this last congressional election. I live in a heavy republican district, so my vote wouldn't have mattered for the US house, and the Gov. and Senate seat were pretty much locked down by the Dems.

There are usually local elections and various ballot initiatives/referenda that are much more up in the air and where individual votes have mathematically greater significance because of the smaller populations involved. You also get reversals even in areas that lean towards one party. Maryland is one of the bluest states in the nation, but we elected a Republican governor last year.

Generally I think voting is a good thing and I encourage people to do so as long as they can make an informed choice. But I don't think they should be forced to.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't even know if there were any ballot initiatives last year, didn't hear about any. Shrugging Guess I wasn't as informed as I thought I was.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Well I dunno if there were any where you live. Shrugging I think they're more common in Presidential election years, since those are higher profile anyway.  In 2012 Marylanders narrowly voted to legalize gay marriage and gambling so I was glad I voted on those. On the other hand, they also voted in favor of gerrymandering, but by signing a petition to get that on the ballot in the first place and voting against it I at least helped in some small way to bring greater attention to the issue. That's how I look at it, anyway.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:53 pm

being forced to wear shirts with sleeves?- Figg

Made to cook indoors.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:00 pm

having to stop talking like they are asking questions every two seconds.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Very Happy

They could be forced to use all the vowels in a word too instead of just skipping them Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Not being allowed to watch Crocodile Dundee until after the next election?

Only being allowed to drink Fosters?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Eldorion wrote:Not being allowed to watch Crocodile Dundee until after the next election?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Mandatory voting would at least help with keeping track of who's still out there. I was just seeing that there are thousands of people on the books over the age of 115 who are still drawing Social Security checks every month. I wonder if they're voting too....

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:11 pm

https://news.vice.com/article/the-cia-just-declassified-the-document-that-supposedly-justified-the-iraq-invasion

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:14 pm

https://www.scribd.com/doc/259216899/Iraq-October-2002-NIE-on-WMDs-unedacted-version

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:15 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/19/florida-employee-forced-on-leave-climate-change

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:54 pm

That seems a bit, insane.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:25 pm

This is a really good video showing just a little of the split second decisions law enforcement has to make.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:13 am

That was an interesting video. Good on the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department for helping to explain their perspective in such a striking way. Although the whole "listen to the orders of law enforcement" thing should kinda go without saying, it's good to have a reminder.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Well, horrendous as the ultimate intent of this new law is, you've got to admire the strategy of hiding it under the law's title "Religious Freedom Act".  Snuck it by before anyone noticed.  I tip my hat to the National College Athletic Association for pushback, along with all the others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/us/politics/indiana-law-denounced-as-invitation-to-discriminate-against-gays.html?_r=0

Last edited by halfwise on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:12 pm

I just read that article Halfy. It didn't seem to say much about the law itself, mostly just alarmist rhetoric. Is this a real deal or just more pre-campaign smoke and mirrors? scratch

{{ 'tis the season for attacking straw men Razz }}

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 pm

It was passed, with mainly smoke and mirrors about defending religious freedom, but a clause in there that clearly allow businesses to deny service to anyone whose lifestyle they disagree with on a religious basis.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/mike-pence-religious-freedom-bill-gay-rights/

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:21 am

Does this pretty much boil down to cake shops not wanting to make a cake with two guys on the top? Fuck this country, seriously. F You USA

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next