David H
The Wobbit A Parody
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
23 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 2 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:25 pm

That was a brilliant example of proof by reducto ad absurdum, Petty. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Whether atheism is a form of faith I would say depends on the reason for being an atheist. If you feel that science disproves God, then....science depends on faith that the universe behaves in a reproducible manner. If you are an atheist just because the concept of God annoys you, then I'd say it's not based on faith.
halfwise
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 2 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:30 pm

There are other reasons too, though. Personally, I dislike the notion of faith on philosophical grounds. I'm not trying to disparage people who have religious faith, but for my part, I prefer to structure my beliefs about life, the universe, morality, and other such topics on evidence, logic, and reason (whichever is most fitting; evidence won't really help you come up with a moral theory but I don't think it's reasonable to treat God as an arbiter of morality based on his track record of destruction and murder in the Bible). I'm not trying to make anyone else believe that way, but I think it's a legitimate basis other than just being annoyed at God. Razz

Last edited by Eldorion on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Well put, Halfwise.
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm

halfwise wrote:.... reducto ad absurdum = Petty.

Couldn't agree more, Halfwise. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Eldorion wrote:There are other reasons too, though. Personally, I dislike the notion of faith on philosophical grounds. I'm not trying to disparage people who have religious faith, but for my part, I prefer to structure my beliefs about life, the universe, morality, and other such topics on evidence, logic, and reason (whichever is most fitting; evidence won't really help you come up with a moral theory but I don't think it's reasonable to treat God as an arbiter of morality based on his track record of destruction and murder in the Bible). I'm not trying to make anyone else believe that way, but I think it's a legitimate basis other than just being annoyed at God. Razz

Why can't we have a God with kind eyes, a pipe and comfy slippers? Crying or Very sad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Somewhere across the storm-tossed sea, on a small island off the coast of Scotchobbitland, Petty is fiendishly praying for the soul of Orwell....
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 pm

reducto ad absurdum = Petty.- Halfwise

Couldn't agree more, Halfwise.- Orwell

I am pretty sure that is NOT what Halfwise said! Mad

Was posting my rage as you were posting Halfwise- how well you read me! Extremely Crabbit

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I am pretty sure that is NOT what Halfwise said! Mad

Oh no, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he meant, old friend. That's why I acted as editor. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 pm

halfwise wrote:Somewhere across the storm-tossed sea, on a small island off the coast of Scotchobbitland, Petty is fiendishly praying for the soul of Orwell....

I knew it... A closet Rafartarian (???) or Gondolonian! Rolling Eyes

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:48 pm

"A closet Rafartarian (???) or Gondolonian!"- Orwell

I'm not keen on beans and I dont like boats!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Orwell wrote:

Oh no, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he meant, old friend. That's why I acted as editor. Very Happy

cheers

You two do so keep me happy.
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 pm

The trouble with you, Halfwise, is you don't take either of us seriously, and with Petty I can understand -- but ME! Banghead

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:08 am

I take you two so seriously I even made an avatar. No more hiding in dark corners for me! Equal footing now, that's what I say.
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:13 am

It's just how I imagined you! Shocked Spooky! cyclops

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:But what about purple splongerous zones? I dont believe they exist either, seeing as I just made them up, doesnt make it an act of faith though surely?!
And I only have buckie. drunken

Oh yeah? Well I just named the little corners of my attic where the mice run "purple splongerous zones", and I can assure you they DO exist. Bring that buckie on over and I'll prove it to you cyclops
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:25 am

"and I can assure you they DO exist. "- David

I'm confused! Does that mean I don't have to believe in them anymore because they exist now? scratch

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 2 Empty wacky

Post by leelee Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am

halfwise wrote:
Orwell wrote:

cheers

You two do so keep me happy.

I doubt even Petty or Orwell could ever win an argument or anything else over a person from Manhattan (if you are not from Manhattan you act amazingly like a native. I even smell money when I read your posts.) . I mean look at Seinfeld, a show about nothing, no one else could have done it, and they also have the soup nazi. I wish he would join this forum. "No words from you Petty and Orwell and Leelee, one year!)
But never mind we have the absolute brilliant Half Wise. er.........could I get your autograph, are you related to princess Mrs. Figg, shes awfully light on her feet as well.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 am

Suspect

as usual

Shrugging

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:10 am

My stars, are you flirting with me Leelee? Kissing (I wonder what an elf date would be like...wouldn't have a clue how to behave. Prolly make a beeline right for those ears.)

I'm not sure you should be smelling money; I have but a small (yet comfortable) hobbit hole up in the northern low-rent district of the island. But I get direct sunlight! A rarity worth more than money to me. And I'm not a native - very few are. They ARE a breed apart, though likely not in ways you would expect.
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 2 Empty america

Post by leelee Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 am

Orwell wrote:When people say they are praying for me, I want to punch them in the face. People should worry about saving their own souls, and leave mine out of it. I don't want to be mixed up in other people's delusions. It's insulting and dictatorial and ideological and plain rude. Religion is an insult to intelligence and an invasion of privacy. I mean it kindly though. Very Happy

{{{Hey, you Agnostics and Atheists - I don't Really mean it kindly... Very Happy }}}

I love you Orwell and I am always praying for you.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 am

Razz

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 am

For all my shortcomings, I would never be so forward or disrespectful to you, leelee. flower

Orwell

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 2 Empty america

Post by leelee Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 am

Orwell wrote:For all my shortcomings, I would never be so forward or disrespectful to you, leelee. flower

well, even if you meant every word , that does not make them true, at least to me, and that does not make me less inclined to care deeply for you and your welfare(especially in the light of your doings with Mrs. Figg) and ..............................to pray fervently for you every night, I think Ill bump it up to every day and night , that violent bent in you dearest. And never mind Orwell I am covered , can have half paid for plastic surgery after the whopping, so that's alright.
But you have to find me and catch me in order to whop me and I'll be ready for you. Smile
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 am

Does it concern you at all that I don't give a hoot about your welfare? Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 am

Orwell wrote:Does it concern you at all that I don't give a hoot about your welfare? Very Happy

Nope. love you, praying for you, love you , praying for you. love you praying for you. love you praying for you. love you praying for you. love you, praying for you.
I have a disability, but it is not in the area of unconditional love. So take that grouchy yelling, punching, swearing , growling dear Orwell. Kissing
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next