Orwell
Tinuviel
Pettytyrant101
Ringdrotten
Eldorion
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

One Year To Go... Empty One Year To Go...

Post by Eldorion Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:01 pm

So this picture was posted by Weta Workshop on their Facebook page and has been making the rounds this afternoon.

One Year To Go... Zdp6E

Now, this picture is actually wrong. Since 2012 is a leap year, there's actually 366 days to go. However, it is exactly a year to go until the release date of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (which appears to now be the finalized title) will be released on 14 December 2012, followed by The Hobbit: There and Back Again a year later, on 13 December 2013.

Given how far along in filming they have come, all signs indicate that this release date is The One we've been waiting for. I remember being very excited in December 2008 because there were "only three more years to go" (so much for that) and I know other people have been anticipating this for even longer. Ady's blog started in mid-2007 and it's now been very nearly four years since the project was officially announced in December 2007.

Coming on the tail end of our own third anniversary celebrations and the 10 Years On thread about LOTR, I think this is a nice opportunity both to look back and also to see how close we are (relatively speaking) to the films after all this time. It's been a long journey but the most important thing to me is that, regardless of how the films turn out, it'll have been worth it since we have this community. Very Happy

Let the countdown begin! cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

One Year To Go... Empty Re: One Year To Go...

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 pm

"Now, this picture is actually wrong. Since 2012 is a leap year, there's actually 366 days to go"

lol! lol!

It's been a long journey but the most important thing to me is that, regardless of how the films turn out, it'll have been worth it since we have this community.

Couldn't have put it better myself Smile

One Year To Go... Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:25 pm

I'm wellling up here. Crying or Very sad Must be smoke in the room or something...

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:50 am

Encrypted kisses for all of you!!!! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

One Year To Go... Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:46 am

Lighten up Petty: at least the films being closer means they'll be over and done with sooner. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 am

But what about Forumshire... will we fade into the West... Sad

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:07 am

I would imagine that the next 2-3 years will actually see a noticeable increase in activity to all Tolkien sites. The long-awaited arrival of the first trailer in a few days will be a major step towards getting news about the movies out to people who don't make a point of reading Tolkien or film blogs, and the marketing campaign will only increase as the release date nears. Then there will be a year in between the films when attention should be even greater. After that, if LOTR is any indication, the excitement will persist for a while but die down over the next several years.

That will inevitable see all Tolkien sites come down from the highs of activity and new membership they experienced while the films were being released, but the sites with lots of exposure and/or strong communities will continue to thrive. There were, after all, online Tolkien communities before PJ even thought about making Tolkien movies, and I'm sure that there will continue to be such communities even if the films were completely forgotten (which they won't be, much to Petty's disappointment, but that means another avenue for people to find forums such as this one). Smile

Keep in mind, of course, that classic stories with passionate fandoms like LOTR and The Hobbit (and Star Wars, and Harry Potter, and you get the picture) have a way of grabbing new fans -- both from younger generations and from people who just had somehow managed to keep away before -- and making converts out of them even after decades. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 am

Orwell wrote:But what about <font style='color:black; background-color:Lime;'>Forumshire</font>... will we fade into the West... Sad

We can all meet up in Valinor and all stay young for ever.
All that buckie and no hangover, cant say no to that Smile
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:40 am

chris63 wrote:
Orwell wrote:But what about <font style='color:black; background-color:Lime;'>Forumshire</font>... will we fade into the West... Sad

We can all meet up in Valinor and all stay young for ever.
All that buckie and no hangover, cant say no to that Smile

YAY! you can all hang with me forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers

One Year To Go... Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue May 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Eldorion wrote:It's been a long journey but the most important thing to me is that, regardless of how the films turn out, it'll have been worth it since we have this community. Very Happy

Let the countdown begin! cheers

So two and a bit years later Eldo, was it worth the wait?

Ironically it was how the film's seemed to be turning out that spurned me on to join Bree *Elijah Wood returning, Two films into three and some very videogame esque trailers...*, and eventually here

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue May 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Jeez, I remember the day the trailer was released. I waited all day, and the trailer gave me goosebumps. It was amazing. There was so much hope and promise; it seemed like I wasn't going to be disappointed.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue May 20, 2014 7:39 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Jeez, I remember the day the trailer was released. I waited all day, and the trailer gave me goosebumps. It was amazing. There was so much hope and promise; it seemed like I wasn't going to be disappointed.

Yeah the first AUJ trailer was totes amazeballs as Mark Kermode would say, I must have watched it a dozen times, I don't even remember if I watched any of the others, I kinda lost hope after reading about the Azo/CGI changes.

In fact I've decided to stop actively seeking trailers, most of the time the film fails to meet my expectations*Man of Steel*

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 pm

malickfan wrote:So two and a bit years later Eldo, was it worth the wait?

That's a kind of complicated question, to be honest. Obviously I'm grateful to The Hobbit project for being the original reason why this forum was created, as the community and many of the people I've met here have been important to me for many years now. And I'm glad that I got the chance to experience the release of new Middle-earth movies for myself, even if they weren't event films like LOTR was. I always felt sort of left out around the oldbies on LOTR forums (back when I was a newbie) since I had been a little kid when the LOTR films were released and hadn't even read the book yet. And as disappointing as the films have been, in some ways it feels better to see them and know what they're like then have the eternal "what if?" hanging over our heads. It also makes debates over PJ's legacy. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Jeez, I remember the day the trailer was released. I waited all day, and the trailer gave me goosebumps. It was amazing. There was so much hope and promise; it seemed like I wasn't going to be disappointed.

I have very vivid memories of the day the first trailer was released. I had been counting down to it for a week or two, and knew it would be online in the late evening in my time zone. It felt like a really big deal, even though we'd gotten a few vlogs by then, for The Hobbit to have an official trailer that would be shown in theatres and everything. After years of production hell and people questioning if the movies would be made, it was a really validating experience for those who had followed the films for so long (or at least for me). The fact that it came out in mid-late December, around the time the project had first been announced and all the films have been released, furthered that sense of importance for me.

Early that evening my mom asked me to watch Good Will Hunting with her, and I agreed, but said that I would need to run upstairs to check on the trailer as soon as the movie was over. Laughing I got online maybe 10 minutes before it was scheduled to go and started seeing rumors about it appearing early somewhere. I was squeeing all over the thread I'd made about the trailer and once it was up (and I'd watched it two or three times in a row) I used my old laptop's shitty screengrab function to make a gallery of images from the trailer and put it up on Photobucket with some commentary. I was very proud of myself that I beat TORn to having a gallery of screencaps from the trailer online, even though their's was far superior. Smile My little gallery/commentary thing is at the bottom of the first page of the thread below.

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t288-hobbit-trailer-1

NB As exciting as the trailer was, looking back, I'm pretty sure that being introduced to Good Will Hunting was the better experience. I love that movie and have rewatched it several times since. But the trailer hype was a lot of fun and I was glad to get to share it with the people on here. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 21, 2014 5:08 pm

so weird to read posts from 2011 regarding the shires future Shocked
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 21, 2014 5:23 pm

It's funny looking back, when I thought it was going to be a great movie. But here, the steaming pile of poop that we got was planned all along (even with all the rewrites and what not).

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 21, 2014 5:26 pm

I wasn't expecting much to begin with, particularly not on the adaptation side, but I was hoping it could be a fun adventure movie, even if it was shallower than and inferior to the LOTR films. :/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Boy was I naive. Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed May 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Same here, I was hoping the Hobbit movie was going to be a faithful adaptation; the excuse about the source material being too long didn't apply here, but as we've seen Jackson and co have no shortage of imaginary problems to "fix".

Regardless of the film's relevance in the coming years, I think this community will be alright. After all, most activity as of late seems to be from other topic section   Razz  I'll be sticking around anyways  Very Happy 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Thumbs Up

One Year To Go... Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

One Year To Go... Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Well Im not moving out my barrel just because some films that make me crabbit are no longer being made. That will be a cause for celebration on a Tolkien forum and happier days to come.  Nod And an excuse to have a big party of course, get very very drunk and say inappropriate things to Mrs Figg Twisted Evil 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 21, 2014 9:55 pm

"And yet come to naught in the end but might-have-beens, I guess," said the Dwarf.

"To that the Elves know not the answer," said Legolas.

Sad 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu May 22, 2014 5:50 am

So true.  No 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 22, 2014 1:42 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well Im not moving out my barrel just because some films that make me crabbit are no longer being made. That will be a cause for celebration on a Tolkien forum and happier days to come.  Nod And an excuse to have a big party of course, get very very drunk and say inappropriate things to Mrs Figg Twisted Evil 

Rolling Eyes 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 22, 2014 1:49 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Boy was I naive. Mad

No  me too Sad  a time when I had faith in PJ, a time I skipped through the flowery fields of geekitude and rolled in the hay of nerdsville.

One Year To Go... Knight-of-the-flowers_zps2e9f3799
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next