Tinuviel
Orwell
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
chris63
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Drogo Baggins ?

Post by malickfan Tue May 20, 2014 7:53 pm

True, it's possible the part was deleted/merged with another, I'm certain the sackville baggins's are in though, perhaps Bilbo adopting Frodo could be covered with dialogue instead of casting his parents, after all this has very little to do with Thorin's hair or CGI ninjas so It might look out of place in the film...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 pm

I'm not sure where they'd bring it up. The framing sequence is set on the first day of FOTR, so there's no reason for Frodo's parents to be brought up. I suppose it's possible that we get a highlights reel of Bilbo's life between the end of the Quest and the final framing scene, but that idea sounds so awful that I regret typing it just now.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Eldorion wrote:I suppose it's possible that we get a highlights reel of Bilbo's life between the end of the Quest and the final framing scene, but that idea sounds so awful that I regret typing it just now.

With this song playing over the top, right?

Trollface 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue May 20, 2014 10:42 pm

They've foreshadowed the incident where Bilbo arrives and Lobelia is stealing his spoons in AUJ, so that for sure will get a scene, probably right when he comes back. I'm beginning to notice how much of this story is being told to us rather than shown us in these movies. Every line seems to simply tell what's supposed to be happening, and then we see some crazy acrobatics instead. Or in Smaug's case, he decides to go to Laketown just because. You know it's not working when a film has to use dialogue to tell you what you're supposed to feel instead of being able to see it.

So with that said, I'm sure Drogo will be talked about at some random point when Bilbo gets back without any reason for him to be brought up except that the plot demands it. Ugh. So boring.

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Tinuviel wrote:So with that said, I'm sure Drogo will be talked about at some random point when Bilbo gets back without any reason for him to be brought up except that the plot demands it. Ugh. So boring.

Part of me wouldn't be surprised if this happens, but I refrained from bringing it up because I wasn't sure if Drogo would have been the right age. A quick check shows he would have been 23 at the time (going by his year of birth listed in the Appendices). I don't know how old Ryan Gage is (his age isn't listed on Wikipedia or IMDb), but he looks older than 23 to me. He's definitely older than a Hobbit should look at 23 if you subscribe to the notion that Hobbits at 33 (when they come of age) are physically the same as humans at 18. I don't, personally, and I don't know if PJ does, but he cast then-18-year-old Elijah Wood as Frodo, who is supposed to appear 33 throughout LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:Well, if they must include the White Council, then I would just as soon have them use the same actors (except Hugo Weaving; he sucked as Elrond Mad).
How ironic that Eldo said this, and Elrond in The Hobbit turned out to be a major improvement over his grumpy LotR self.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 pm

I agree, I think I noted in my AUJ review that Hobbit movie Elrond far, far closer to his character in either book than he was in the LOTR films. I can't really complain about this, but it does raise a rather significant continuity issue. What could have happened during or after The Hobbit to make Elrond such a racist old grump? Is it all just because Aragorn got the hots for his daughter? The timing seems really strange though, since The Hobbit is a story that's largely about people of different backgrounds coming together and overlooking their differences (albeit only in order to fight a different, more otherized threat Shrugging).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Eldorion wrote:Well, if they must include the White Council, then I would just as soon have them use the same actors (except Hugo Weaving; he sucked as Elrond Mad). Smile

wot? Suspect 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 AdEZE8U
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Indeed Eldo, if anything Elrond should have been even more accepting of all the different races coming together during LotR. The reason for his grumpy nature in the first trilogy must come down to a series of decisions made by Jackson and Co. to have him fill the role of the Drama-Lord.
Now that the heavy lifting is done in LotR, they must have decided to have some fun in The Hobbit. Dialogue was lightened up, frown-lines were taken care of, uppers were taken by all.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 23, 2014 2:21 pm

No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon May 26, 2014 3:31 am

I didn't mind Hugo as Elrond.

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Tumblr_mxeelap7ex1s1u5slo4_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon May 26, 2014 3:48 am

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Bakshi-elrond
Title: Elrond
Images from Ralph Bakshi’s animated “Lord of the Rings” movie

Not many people liked this

http://www.councilofelrond.com/imagegallery/elrond-19/

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon May 26, 2014 4:35 am

Emperor Caeser Elrond? He's a classic!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 26, 2014 4:45 am

I quite liked his voice, and his delivery- on the voice over when he talks about who he selects for the 9 walkers the bit where he speaks about trusting to friendship rather than great wisdom is really good, you can hear the reluctance in his voice, that he doesn't think its necessarily a good idea but has bowed to Gandalf- for one line of dialogue it conveys an awful lot.

Not a fan of the clothing but the animation of him is also very good. I also like that's it very hard to put an age on him.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon May 26, 2014 5:09 am

chris63 wrote:I didn't mind Hugo as Elrond.

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Tumblr_mxeelap7ex1s1u5slo4_500

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Picard_facepalm_xlarge

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon May 26, 2014 5:12 am

Eldorion wrote:Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 AdEZE8U

There's only one thing I want to see in the final Hobbit movie: Elrond fighting. I don't know why. I just want to see it.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 26, 2014 9:34 am

I agree Bungo, We see a snatchet of Elrond in his nice shiny armor at the beginning of FOTR, when Isildur grabs the Ring but, he's kept his fighting skills tightly under his robes.

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon May 26, 2014 9:39 am

bungobaggins wrote:

There's only one thing I want to see in the final Hobbit movie: Elrond fighting. I don't know why. I just want to see it.

Careful what you wish for from Jackson; he may just give you super somersault action hero Elrond the second most powerful being in Middle Earth. The action figure is pending of course.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat May 31, 2014 1:02 am

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:

Careful what you wish for from Jackson; he may just give you super somersault action hero Elrond the second most powerful being in Middle Earth. The action figure is pending of course.

hahaha yeah don't give em any ideas
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 31, 2014 7:48 pm

I love Hugo Weaving as Elrond, he seems to me to be just as Tolkien described him in LOTR.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 31, 2014 8:37 pm

I think he brought the proper gravitas, but his lack of respect for the race of men in LotR was unjustifiable. I know they were trying to build up Aragorn's transformation, but it just didn't feel right.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:50 am

I didnt mind it, and I only really noticed it once, when he was talking to Gandalf in Rivendell, when we saw the flashback to Isildur, I think it is a deviation from his character and the story that doesnt bother me personally too much.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I liked Hugo playing Elrond to. He was " Elfy" with a serious side, not all skipping & skirts. I felt he took the idea of pretty, flutter wings at the bottom of the garden, & made Elves a formidable & quite determined race.

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Drogo Baggins ? - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:02 am

"Formidable and quite determined" here having the meaning of "fading and fatalistic."

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next