My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth

4 posters

Go down

My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth Empty My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth

Post by bilbobaggins Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:56 pm

I just began a Kickstarter for my first book titled "The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth." Kickstarter supporters receive special perks such as sighed copies, early access, reduced price, stunning artwork, etc Please check out the link if you are interested in supporting an Indie author.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tolkien/a-new-perspective-on-j-r-r-tolkien-and-middle-earth?ref=project_build

Blurb

J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth has captured the imaginations of millions of readers around the world for generations. He is considered the father of modern fantasy, but few understand how Tolkien’s worldview impacted his mythology. The Road Goes Ever On and On is the first book of its kind to place Tolkien within his proper context, giving the reader a deeper understanding of Tolkien and Middle-earth. Smith takes us on a quest through a wide range of Tolkien’s writings to unlock Tolkien’s perspective—a perspective that, like the elves who have sailed into the West leaving Middle-earth, has faded away from our world.

You will gain an in-depth knowledge of Tolkien’s views on politics, environmentalism, religion, and much more. From the Valar to Hobbits, the free peoples closely follow Tolkien’s sentiments. In contrast, forces under the Shadow represent what Tolkien believed was immoral. Covering a wide range of topics, The Road Goes Ever On and On is filled with breathtaking illustrations bringing Middle-earth to life like never before, making this the ‘one book to rule them all.’

Praise for the Road Goes Ever On and On!

Engrossing...Tolkien’s principles—patriotism, Medievalism, localism, Catholicism—are certainly out of fashion today. And yet they’re the foundation for all his books, which have sold hundreds of millions of copies. Mr. Smith does a wonderful job of explaining why modern readers are so enthralled by Tolkien’s reactionary vision. Whether you’re a casual Lord of the Rings fan or a serious Tolkien scholar, every page of Mr. Smith’s book will delight and fascinate. And if anyone ever tells you that fairy-tales are only for children, hand him this book. Tolkien ought to be regarded as one of the great social critics of our time, as Mr. Smith so masterfully demonstrates. -Michael Warren Davis is an editor for Sophia Institute Press and the author of The Reactionary Mind: Why Conservative Isn’t Enough. You can find him on his blog, The Common Man.

As the popularity of Tolkien’s work continues to endure, the importance of Jeb Smith’s work continues to grow. This is because of a prolonged siege against Tolkien’s work: the attempt to dislodge it from its Christian and Biblical foundations. Jeb Smith’s insights are immensely helpful to this and future generations of Tolkien admirers. -Scott L. Smith, author of Lord of the Rings and the Eucharist

This work is one of the best philosophical works that I have read in a long time as an editor… I am still in awe of this amazing piece of literature…Each paragraph carefully brought me into the author's perspective while allowing for a great level of introspection and understanding.…
Freelance editor Doris_foster

Last edited by bilbobaggins on Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Road Goes Ever On and On: A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jeb-Smith/dp/1685701256
bilbobaggins
bilbobaggins
Burglar

Back to top Go down

My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth Empty Re: My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:12 pm

{{ I wish you all the best and may even pick up a copy of the completed book, though I do hope its not being used to promote a particular political or religous agenda in its own right, as Im sure Tolkien would not approve of that. For whilst his work is without a shed of doubt one that deeply reflects Tolkien's religous views (he did afterall call it a 'deeply catholic work' at one point) there is also a reason his ME has no overt organised religion, and why the Shire though based in rural England, unlike rural England is not dotted with churches. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth Empty Re: My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth

Post by bilbobaggins Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ I wish you all the best and may even pick up a copy of the completed book, though I do hope its not being used to promote a particular political or religous agenda in its own right, as Im sure Tolkien would not approve of that. For whilst his work is without a shed of doubt one that deeply reflects Tolkien's religous views (he did afterall call it a 'deeply catholic work' at one point) there is also a reason his ME has no overt organised religion, and why the Shire though based in rural England, unlike rural England is not dotted with churches. }}

I hope its only "agenda" (if it has one) is to describe Tolkien, and his mythology in a authentic manner.

I would love it if you did pick up a copy when it is out proper, sounds like it could lead to a great discussion.

The Road Goes Ever On and On: A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth
bilbobaggins
bilbobaggins
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:24 pm

{{ If I were in better financial position Id back it just to support a fellow small author, so picking up a copy when published for discussion will certainly be something I will try to do, so keep us informed of progress and where to get it when its out. It's certainly got to be more interesting meat for discussion than putting myself through the recent Amazon series was and Im sure it will prove a more interesting subject and read than that travesty was to watch!

edit add-- oh and meant to say the illustrations are cracking.}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bilbobaggins Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:38 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ If I were in better financial position Id back it just to support a fellow small author, so picking up a copy when published for discussion will certainly be something I will try to do, so keep us informed of progress and where to get it when its out. It's certainly got to be more interesting meat for discussion than putting myself through the recent Amazon series was and Im sure it will prove a more interesting subject and read than that travesty was to watch!

edit add-- oh and meant to say the illustrations are cracking.}}

Will do and thanks for the interest. The eBook version should run $9.99.

I was not expecting much from the Amazon series, so I was one of the few purists who wasn't too disappointed. I would say it's 90% amazon and 10% Tolkien. There is not enough material on the second age to justify multiple seasons as Amazon is doing.

bilbobaggins
bilbobaggins
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:42 pm

{{ 10% is generous, I give it maybe 1% as it does use place and character names, but after that struggling to find any Tolkien anywhere in it.

If I get your book would be a physical copy, I dont do ebooks I like the feel and smell of paper, even if its a bit more pricey.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bilbobaggins Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:52 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ 10% is generous, I give it maybe 1% as it does use place and character names, but after that struggling to find any Tolkien anywhere in it.

If I get your book would be a physical copy, I dont do ebooks I like the feel and smell of paper, even if its a bit more pricey.}}

Lets call it 5% Very Happy

I agree, I like to hold my book in one hand a have a beer or glass of wine in the other tongue

I only buy eBooks if its a book I am only semi interested in and costs way to much.

bilbobaggins
bilbobaggins
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:20 am

Looks good but you'll have to explain how the kickstarter thing works: a $500 goal doesn't seem like enough to do more than typeset - so I take it this is just the cost to get it into ebook format. Seems you've reached the goal so we should donate the ebook price just to convince a distributor that it's worth their effort to host it?

I normally don't read ebook either, but I'd do it for a good cause.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bilbobaggins Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:57 am

halfwise wrote:Looks good but you'll have to explain how the kickstarter thing works: a $500 goal doesn't seem like enough to do more than typeset - so I take it this is just the cost to get it into ebook format.  Seems you've reached the goal so we should donate the ebook price just to convince a distributor that it's worth their effort to host it?

I normally don't read ebook either, but I'd do it for a good cause.

I am just trying to cover as much of the production cost as I can. I am in this to the end so even if it is not funded I the book will go to print.

Both paperback and eBook options.

bilbobaggins
bilbobaggins
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:44 am

What's Minas Tirith doing sitting in the middle of a dry-grass waste? scratch

Good luck on the Kickstarter!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:13 am

{{ The old Minas Tirith problem! Thanks PJ!  Evil or Very Mad Slightly better than a dust bowl I suppose Mad Should of course be something bit more akin to my own effort Nod Thats genuine Italian farmlands in that one Nod }}

My First Book!!! The Road Goes Ever On and On A New Perspective on J. R. R. Tolkien and Middle-earth Minas-tirithb

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down