Forest Shepherd
David H
malickfan
halfwise
RA
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films - Page 2 Empty Re: The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 am

I saw Movie 1 twice, Movie 2 once, and the 3rd Movie not at all.

Movie 1. I found the first part at Bag End bearable - to a point. And then Gollum scene mostly.

Movie 2: Glad I only saw it once and can’t remember much, and don’t want to be reminded.

Movie 3: hee hee hee ...You poor suckers! I win!

Radagast and his bunnies. Yep. Silliest scene I can remember off hand. Lucky I can’t remember much.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films - Page 2 Empty Re: The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:10 pm

There was more than one bunny scene. I think the one with the bunny sled zipping back and forth across the horizon chased by orcs as the dwarves popped down a hole like some Keebler elves took the cake. There was real effort expended to make that as ridiculous as possible.

The Dol Guldur scene by contrast wasn't silly, it was just wrong.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:38 pm

It was all wrong, all of it. I knew it would be terrible from the moment I saw the designs of the Dwarves. There isn't 5 minutes of it that I can bear to watch. The one tiny moment in the whole sorry mess was the Bilbo and the butterflies above the trees scene. oh and the curl of smoke coming out of the chimney. that's it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:21 am

Orwell - That is pretty much my experience other than I happened to see a bit of the last one by accident once. I dont remember much about it though so may well as not have seen it.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:52 am

{{ The problem here is that TH trilogy contains more dumb scenes than it does non-dumb scenes.
It is probably easier to follow Orwells lead and note the few non-dumb scenes that were watchable and just go on the assumption the rest was a steaming pile of crabbit inducing dumbness. Because having had to edit them into an attempt at something resembling the book I can assure you it is just dumb crabbit meter exploding scene after dumb crabbit meter exploding scene Mad Evil or Very Mad Extremely Crabbit Banghead }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:04 am

May sound a bit crazy, but I really kinda liked the smashing the plates song and sequence (mostly). It at least conjured up happy memories for me of reading The Hobbit as a child. But the idea is kinda dumb really. Good dumb not bad dumb. Does that count?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:44 pm

Despite deviations from the book the party scenes were good. I think they spent half their time writing that one, and the other half the time desperately trying to catch up to write the rest of the 3 films before shooting. Sorry, meant before shitting.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Orwell wrote:May sound a bit crazy, but I really kinda liked the smashing the plates  song and sequence (mostly). It at least conjured up happy memories for me of reading The Hobbit as a child. But the idea is kinda dumb really. Good dumb not bad dumb. Does that count?

Yes, crazy! But still makes it one of the highlights!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:48 am

Rabbits. White Orc. Stone Giants. The Stone giants scene might have looked good from a distance but not as a close-up fight as seen.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:08 pm

The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films - Page 2 Fine10

The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Most of the smashing plates and some of the Gollum scene seemed true enough to The Hobbit for me to actually enjoy. Indeed, it affirmed in my own mind that a ‘true’ adaptation of the book would have worked a treat. I feel the same for LotR. No surprises there. Which makes me feel that Jackson just missed the feel of both books. The old story, opportunity lost.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:41 pm

Grrr... I rewatched a little bit of the start of the fan edit I downloaded, and it's impossible to enjoy the damn thing.

The dwarves are still as disgusting and boorish as ever, Gandalf lacks gravitas, and Bilbo is annoyingly directed.

The constant call backs drove me to turn it off in minutes. Gandalf bumping against the chandelier, calling for "a little more light" when the map is taken out, it is insufferable! Write some new dialogue or use what's in the book! Only brainlet cretins can enjoy this level of pandering.

It really is the case that Gandalf lacks here as a character. He has no bite. In Lord of the Rings, Gandalf is capable of a threatening presence, abruptly imposing when need be. He throws Samwise onto a table, he fills the room when confronting Bilbo. As a kid he scared me when Frodo walks in after the party and Gandalf is puffing on his pipe and staring into the fire. There was a gleam in his eyes that I did not like.
But this Gandalf is happy-times-lovable Gandalf. He is, "remember LotR??" Gandalf. He is not really annoyed with Bilbo on the front step, showing far too much vulnerability to the know-it-all little hobbit. His line, "I am Gandalf, and that means... me", ends with an apologetic half-smile, as though he is shyly embarrassed of how little he amounts to. This is blatherskite. Gandalf should send Bilbo popping in through his front door with the fear of God in him, but by presenting Gandalf as "lovable softy grandpa" the scene has no teeth.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:03 pm

And so says it for the rest of the film. Actually it doesnt, There is so much more, more shite than you can fill a bucket with. The Marie Celeste Galadriel is a corker, Prescription fuelled Radagast pulling on a peace pipe, forget the rabbits, they are trying hard to get out of this film as fast as we are trying to leave the cinema. Phil Mitchell aka Legolas, Dominatrix Trixie who has a pervy thing about small men and Im sure I saw a McDonalds Happy Meal toy that looks like the Goblin King ? The character I liked out of all this bilge was Smaug. I was genuinely sorry he copped it. The biggest insult I felt was  Alfrid Lickspittle ( I had to look it up ) the cowardly coward who stuffed treasure in his boobs in the last film. To be honest its easier to say whats good about all three films ----- the bit where I leave to get the bus !

The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The dumbest scene in the Hobbit films - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:08 pm

There are only two fleeting scenes which I like in the whole bloated carcass, and that is sparks floating out of a chimney, and black butterflies in the treetops. The rest is horrible.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:40 am

Hahaha, "You should have stayed dead!" Elrond in the clip at the start of this thread.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 pm

Just rewatched that clip. Inutterably horrible. I seem to have even blocked out memory of most of it: trauma response.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:23 pm

Laughing

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:56 pm

and black butterflies in the treetops- Figg

{{They even screwed that up- the butterflies are bright blue in the film Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:43 am

rofl, yeah I remember that detail being off as well. I was looking forward to that moment too. It's a lovely bit of description in the book.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:19 am

I was quite peeved that the coin spilling out of Alfrid's bosoms before he is catapulted into the troll's mouth was golden and not silver. Another gross deviation from the book!

Also, why do I feel like some of these uncanny-valley-looking trolls were modeled after, or caricatures of, people that Jackson personally disliked?

Also-also, why does that archer look so poor in his form when he shoots in the first few seconds of the video? Or perhaps it is the bow that is wrong. It appears as though the only part of his draw that requires any effort is the last six inches. Before he lifts the arrow and bow into a shooting position, his left arm is bent and fairly loose, his right elbow is down instead of raised, and yet the arrow is almost fully drawn. Hmm... ALMOST as if the bow he's using is a stunt bow with a draw weight of only 5 pounds...

I swear that Jackson has been doing that kind of release too since LotR: his archers like to give the arrow a little push by pulling the arrow back a little more at the last second and following the flight of the arrow with their left hand, like they're helping "throw" the arrow. It's almost like if someone's shooting a rifle and they punch forward with it as they shoot lol. (Also note that the middle-aged man closes his eyes as he does this. Excellent for aiming: close your eyes and punch your bow forward as you release!)

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2