Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Dune - Page 2 Empty Re: Dune

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:15 pm

Whoa, Steven Colbert did a cast interview to accompany the trailer:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1YqJDpQDeAaJV

Some take aways:

• You have to wait about 30 seconds for it to start

• We get some shots we DON'T get in the trailer.  Worth watching just for that.

• Villanueve insisted on shooting in real desert.  I about 80% agree with that - but because Dune should be a desert like no other the real thing can't live up to it.  Hence Forest's complaint about it looking a bit drab.  I think it should be shot in the desert, but then enhanced to bring it to a new level.

• The adab eyes stand out more than in the trailer.  I think it's about right.

• Rebecca Ferguson just GLOWS in real life, in a way that isn't captured on her screen version.  If I was in her presence I'd be reduced to stuttering gibbering goo.  Good god but she's gorgeous.

• Sharon Duncan-Brewster obviously did her research on the part, and can offer a clear analysis of Liet-Kynes as portrayed in the book.   I'm less bothered by her as a pc replacement now.

• Oscar Isaac and Josh Brolin both have a great sense of humor

• I still can't get over how gorgeous Rebecca Ferguson is in the interview compared to anywhere else I've seen her.  It must be a combination of after-desert glow and being herself.  Off to a cold shower.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Geezus Halfy Laughing

But yeah, when I first saw her in Mission Impossible 4 or whatever i was pretty taken.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:06 pm

She doesn't jump out at me anyplace except this interview.   It's a long interview and you may not have been motivated to watch much - jump to 6:00 for an eyeful. Haven't seen Mission Impossible 4 so don't know how it compares.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:28 pm

{{ I'll give it a nosey Halfy, sounds visually very interesting, and the film too. Nod }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:31 am

Laughing

Actually it was MI5: Rogue Nation (2015). It's certainly my favourite MI movie, and absolutely delighted me when I watched it in theaters.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:07 pm

{{ Rewatching the trailer something else gave me some cause for concern, again in the dialogue. Paul uses the word 'crusade' instead of the more usually applied in the book 'jihad'. I hope they are not going to be downplaying the arabic and muslim aspects to Arrakis. Or worse, removing them altogether.}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:29 am

Yeah, I noticed that too. I sort of understand, but the muslim aspect was so essential to the framework I'm not too happy about it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 am

{{ It is a bit of a worry. Dune is troubling in some ways in modern times depending how you take what Herbert is saying. On one level you can see it as white European goes to foreign land of arab types and becomes 'oneof them' but better than them, becoming their messiah and leader and saving them. Made worse by the clear indications that House Atreides is based off Greek/Roman heritage, the Fremen off Arabic and African culture, and various other groups represent the evoloved descendants of Judiasm, Catholicism/Protestants ect. Its a big part of the cultures of Dune and the commentary being made thereoff.
Now for my own reading of the books I dont find for example that Pauls role among the Fremen in any way depreciates or underplays the Fremen themselves or their culture, it does not feel like appropration to me. However conveying that within the confines of a movie runtime, thats trickier and could easily fall back into sloppy stereotypes, but removng it all together will remove a huge chunk of the flavour, and the point and the lore of the Dune universe.
After all Mentats, the human computers only exists because of a jihad against thinking machines and AI, that then passes into religous doctrine in the Orange Catholic Bible, prohibiting the devleopment or use of machines that think like a human. Religion, in all its forms, how they interact, and what each represents in their culture, and how all of that has for centuries been maniplated and implanted in socieities by the Bene Gessirit for their own ends is difficult to remove from the narrative as its central to how and why Paul rises to the position he does. The Messiah prophecies were deliberetly seeded in many worlds and cultures for this purpose (well almost it wasnt meant to to be Paul, but thats the point, its crucial to understanding what goes on) and its all tied back in subtle ways to the various religious mythlogies that still exist in the Dune universe and their interactions.
Which brings it back to the question of if the religous and cultural motifs of the book are going to be as prevelant, important or even present in the film. I am not so sure they are from what Ive seen and heard so far. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:38 pm

It's a good point that all the religious subtleties and sensitivities could be lost in the rush of a 4 hour combined run time. I suspect they'll try to mask the religious identities, and went for "crusade" as the less triggering term for their english speaking audience. I wonder if when shown in Muslim countries "jihad" will be dubbed in. Probably.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:34 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:22 pm

I would prefer hearing the dialogue from both.

There's a lot about Lynch's dune I like; I think the desert looks better and I prefer the triple jawed sandworms. I also prefer his version of the gom jabbar itself as more realistic.

As for Lynch's mucking with the story versus Villanueve's mucking with the story, we shall see. Lynch's introduction of the voice amplifier ruined things for me. I don't mind Villanueve's Liet Kynes substitution, but it remains to be seen if he goes too far in sanitizing the religious aspects.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:25 pm

test audience interviews look promising.

I think it's obvious that the Atriedes soldier captured by as a Harkonnen slave will be the one who appears in the slave battle with Feyd Ruatha. Surprised Quinn didn't see that.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:00 am

Somebody found a test audience member who was already familiar with the Dune universe in all incarnations, and did an interview. Looks promising. As the subject said, upon walking out of the theater there was the feeling that "Dune was DONE", with hopes that no changes would be made to what they just saw.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:34 pm

I am a little taken aback at some sauciness on Halfy’s part. Just remember, a certain Moderator might just be spying on you all. I see I still have powers here, so watch out!

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Are you commenting on the correct thread?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:30 pm

If Villanuever makes it rain at the end of his version of Dune, I will track him down and hang him from his own entrails.

(Trying to live up to Orwell's description of my activities in this thread.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:29 pm

{{ No chance of that I reckon, i think he is still hoping its a huge success and he will get to make the rest- though frankly the first one for all its denseity and length and weird names is by far the easier to adapt. Normally once you establish everything in the first film of a series youre free to get on with other things in later films, but the time gaps in the Dune series are so immense and the changes between books so vast often you'd need to reestablish everything and the new premise every time, and with almost entirely new casts of characters every time. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 am

So this Quinn fellow saw about 20 minutes of the movie, and discusses the trailer in that context. One big comment was that the film develops the characters more than the book did.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Quinn loved the first 20 minutes he saw, and talks about it in detail. I may watch this in bits, as he goes on for over an hour. Looks like I'll be lucky enough to see it in IMAX.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 pm

after 20 minutes there's no more exposition, he's just responding to questions. Mainly comments on how well it's all done: the subtlety, the pacing, the exposition. But I haven't watched much of it yet.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:40 pm

{{ Ill wait till I see it, overall things look generally positive but been things in both trailers- dialogue not being from book and sounding very Holywood generic, or the important bit of it missing when it is from the book, and representation of the Fremen are still crabbit niggles that I will neeed to wait and see how they play out. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 am

A little bit of hope: I don't agree with Quinn's pronunciation of most names, but he mentions that the movie says things differently. Quinn: harKOHNnens. Film: HARKuhnnens. I agree with the film version, so I feel they may be thinking more like me. Quinn says ihRUELen, but I'm pretty sure the film will say IEruhlan. Nod

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Ugh. My incandescent love affair with Rebecca Ferguson is so over. Here she's misattributing the strength of Lady Jessica to something the script writers added that wasn't in the original (?!!), and in another interview she says she couldn't get through more than 20 pages of the book and was shocked that the interviewer had actually reread it. No matter the hotness I can't get past a lack of intellect. Swipe left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGOrVuwwj3I

(I will accept startling originality in place of intellect. Give me both and you may be gathering me up with a mop.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:27 pm

So now I find that Dune will premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 3, more than a month before we get to see it here.  Delayed from the original Oct 1 to avoid conflict with the Bond film (why couldn't they delay the Bond film?).

If I had the time and money I would think about attending the festival, but it's probably good I don't have either one because no doubt I'd miss the first half due to wandering lost through the streets of Venice.  As one does in Venice.  Been an hour past my planned bedtime whenever I tried to get back to my B&B last time I was there.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:05 pm

{{ That interview is depressing ot hear, so much ignorance about the charactr and th ebook in uder 1 minute! not to mention "she's the best fighter there is". What? So Lady Jessica is a better fighter than Gurney or Duncan? You know characters whose sole job is fighting and war and protecting the Royal Family. And what n earth does she mean by Jessica is the Dukes bodyguard? He is a Duke with an entire planet, army, personal guards etc. What utter bollocks she speaks here and if this is what they've done to the character Im not sure these films are going to be much cop. Jessica in the book is already one of the most influential, powerful, politically savvy and mentally strong characters in the books, she doesnt have to be fucking Bruce Lee on steriods to prove she is strong, thats just stupid.
Why do modern films think showing women with the physique of a catwalk model throwing 6ft grown men about makes them strong. It just looks stupid, implausible and is such a cheap, pathetic and lazy way to convey it. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum