David H
Forest Shepherd
halfwise
10 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Dune Empty Dune

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:19 pm

This will mainly be to talk about the upcoming movie, but of course book discussion will be in here too.

Here's a story: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a26329764/dune-movie-cast-plot-release-date-details-news/

Though I think I may like the director, and many of the casting choices seem about right, I'm given pause by talks to have Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho.  No, no, no.  Duncan is a great swordsman because of skill, not brawn.  He has to show subtlety.  Momoa could not be more wrong for the part.  I had hopes but this has already dashed them.

Lynch's Dune had the right look and the right cast, but he obviously only halfway got Dune.  Harkonnens should be refined evil, not totally disgusting evil.  The battle training given to the Fremen should NOT be handing out deadly megaphones.  Paul does NOT magically make it rain.  So much was right, but these major stumbles were a death blow.

I'm hoping this casting choice doesn't hint at more death blows in the upcoming version.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Dune Empty Re: Dune

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 pm

There's some hope here in Villanueve said Lynch's adaptation was "not the adaptation of my dreams", which means he's been thinking about it a long time.  What I didn't like is he said his version would be "nothing" like Lynch's.  The Lynch version looked absolutely right.  In my mind the same look but getting other elements right would be sublime.

Last edited by halfwise on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Just read without any attribution that the plan is to do it in two films. Good move. The book compresses the end just like Return of the King does, so it's not clear where the obvious break point would be. I'm guessing it's soon after Paul takes the name Maud'dib.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:28 am

Muaaaaaaaaa'dib!!

haha, the Dune movie is lovably not-great at times.

Anyway, I'm excited for the new thread! I never read Dune, only one of the sequels. It had Dune in the name, and there was a pretty big plot all about a robot who was some kind of tyrannical figure and owned human slaves maybe. I don't know if that makes any sense. The reason I read that one was that the library was out of Dune copies, so I settled for a sequel or prequel or whatever.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Not completely sure but it sounds like you read Dune: Machine Crusade.  You got shafted: it was written by Frank Herbert's son Brian. Half the Dune books out there are written by him. The son is such a horrible writer I can barely make it past a page.  Kindly erase the experience from your mind and start over.

If you read FRANK Herbert's books, you MUST read them in series.  They really can not stand individually.  And if you read only one, it MUST be the first one.  Don't even think of reading anything else until you've read the original one.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Ah, yes it was! I was mixing my books up though, I've also read Children of Dune. The scene where whatshisface melds with sandfish, that stands out in my memory.

Haha, so much for reading in series.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Yeah, Children of Dune will have a whole slew of unexplained things popping out at you. The Brian Herbert book will actually explain a lot, but with such horrible writing I'm surprised you continued to another.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm pretty sure I started with Children of Dune, and then moved on to the only other Dune book they had in-stock: machine whatever. Of course this was back in 2007 or so, so it's been a bit.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Yes! Original "DUNE" by Frank Herbert. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
It was originally published as a stand-alone, and that's the best way to read it, at least the first time. It's one of the few books that can make me feel like I'm dying of thirst while I'm in the middle of a soggy Pacific NW winter.

If for some reason you then feel the need to watch the story told on a screen, then track down the Scifi channel miniseries. Otherwise, fight the urge and just reread the book...

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:12 pm

I haven't been able to secure the SyFy miniseries. From what I've heard it's close to the books, but doesn't quite convey the full impression. What's your judgement on it, Dave?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:31 pm

It isn't half bad. It follows the characters and plot of the book pretty closely. The acting is pretty good for a miniseries to as I remember, but the budget wasn't huge and it shows in some of the sets and locations. Also, how do you capture melange dreams, Guild navigators, or Bene Gesserit prophesies properly within a tight narrative? Yep, I think "Not Half Bad" covers it.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 am

Reviews I read said "Where's the spice?" as in, it was bland.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 am

{{I saw the Dune and Children of Dune miniseries- there is a marked difference between them. Dune is, well its pretty close the book for the most part but its got the budget of a Doctor Who episode, circa 1970. And unlike Dave, bar a few big name stars for some key (but short-lived roles) I thought some of the acting was pretty dodgy.
Children of Dune was much better in all ways, looked pretty good, performances were much better and the script had more umph to it.
Downside is (Eru knows how you managed Forest) you really have to start with Dune to have half a clue whats going on in Children.

Regards this new one- lots sound promising, but some of the casting is a tad worrying for me.
They just cast the guy who plays Aquaman as Duncan Idaho- not only not how I envisioned him but by all accounts the guy doesn't exactly act so much as he is just himself in every role. That's fine if they only ever make Dune, where Duncan is an important but not a central character- but if they get to make sequels not having a 'proper' actor might be an issue as Duncan is in every book (the only character who is).

The other worry I have is that its being pc'd. When I read them (and reflected in the tv miniseries versions) there are some distinct racial/religious lines drawn for different peoples- Fremen with their desert lifestyle, J'hads and the like are Arab-like. The lot who make all the non-thinking machine stuff and the Golas (cant remember their name offhand- Talaxians?) had Jewish aspects to their culture ect. I am not seeing any of this reflected in the casting so far.
And I don't want another non-Arab, whitey Stilgar either.

The Lynch version looked absolutely right. - Halfy

Oddly I don't actually agree here. I think Lynchs version looked incredible in terms of sets and costumes, but bar the Benet Gessirit and the Emperor sets I was not so keen on a lot of the rest in terms of it being Dune. }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:49 pm

As you'll see in my first post I totally agree with you on the casting for Duncan Idaho. If they can make such an obvious screw up so early, what else is to come?

I don't see anything wrong with Javier Bardeem as Stilgar, but I think Pedro Pascal would be better. I don't quite see Josh Brolin as Gurney; he's supposed to be an ugly minstrel. Move Oscar Isaac from Duke Leto to Duncan. We no longer have Christopher Plummer to play Leto, you really need a Brit to do it right, not sure who to slide in there. I don't know anything about Timothee Chalamet, he seems a bit fragile looking to me to play Paul. Can this kid do a knife fight without looking out of place?

I'll have to re-watch Lynch's Dune, but my remembered impression is he got the grandeur of the early sets right, got the desert right, but the sietch didn't feel right. Geidi Prime was all wrong. From pics I've seen of the SyFy version, it looks like it was filmed in a mid to high level apartment complex.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:05 pm

As you'll see in my first post...- Halfy

{{Apologies Halfy, my time right now is as brief as my crabbit is infinite at how little free time I have right now!! Mad  (But at least, partly, there is a REASON!)

I missed the Stilgar casting- is he an Arabic actor? Or at least a bit brown?
Agree Gurney should be more brutish, especially in a visual version its a particularly good juxtaposition with his gentler musical side and love of songs. Patrick Stewart was also miscast in the role in my view- though he did at least try to bring the gruff side out in his delivery- but he does not have the visual stature for the role in it and I actually think a classic trained RP English accent does not suit Gurney. I'd still go for a Brit though, a out the box choice at first glance- Robson Green- but I think he looks the part or could be made to for Gurney, he can act and he is also a singer.

Dune 81254-v9-bb

For Leto, I'd go for an Irish actor, who can do a non-Irish accent to match whatever accent they give Paul. I like Jurgen in Lynch's version, but its weird he sounds so foreign compared to everyone else we hear speak on Calladan, including his own son. I'd choose Ciarán Hinds. He was apparently in Deathly Hallows- but he is a highly acclaimed character actor with a decent resume on film including, Road to Perdition, Munich, There Will Be Blood. }}

Dune 76857-v9-bc

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 pm

they have Oscar Isaac (the pretty boy fighter pilot from Force Awakens) to play Duke Leto.  Not really right.

I think Ciaran Hinds has the acting chops to play Leto, but not quite the finely honed aristocratic look.  There's plenty out there who do, I just can't put my finger on one.

But Stilgar has Pedro Pascal written all over him.  He's the closest we've got these days to Omar Sharif. Javier Bardeem (their current choice) hasn't got the physicality of Stilgar. needs to be wiry.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:40 pm

halfwise wrote:Oscar Isaac (the pretty boy fighter pilot from Force Awakens)

Dune Tumblr_o33slpbc5A1rfd7lko1_500
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Well, he is pretty. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:59 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:43 pm

The stillsuits with robes are not bothering me as much as the bare stillsuits did.

Krisknife should be curved.

Stilgar and Leto looking good. Jessica's looking too young.

But I'm getting good vibes nonetheless now.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:31 pm

It's finally out and I'm liking it!  So much more of Frank Herbert is in there than previous versions.

But I'm hating the music.  I hope it's only trailer crap and the real stuff will be more appropriate.  Dune isn't a pop song.

Where's the blue eyes?  Should be more apparent. They are there but very subtle in this version. I don't think they should be glowing like other versions but less subtle.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Hey, nice! Quality trailer actually.

I've read the book only once, but I didn't catch any grievous alterations. Of course, they could be cherry-picking book-alikes for the trailer.

I too don't like the music choice there. Is that a... Pink Floyd cover?

Right yeah it is. I knew that. Razz

My main criticism is that the desert looks far too drab. It lacks the vibrant-sand of a real desert thanks to their filter choices.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:29 pm

{{ Interesting trailer- first its good trailer. But it leaves out controversey- we dont even see the Kynes character who was a man and is now a black woman (for, no reason I can see other than to have a black woman in the cast), nor does it hint at the alleged change to make Chani Stilgar's daughter, or the greatly expanded 'action' role for Lady Jessica- all still concerns, but all absent from the trailer- I dont know if thats because they arent given as much focus as feared or if they are being deceptive in presenting stuff thats closer to the source in the trailer than the rest.
What is in the trailer which worries me is dialogue, particulary the dialogue from the pain box test scene.
The quote in the film is - "An animal in a trap will gnaw off its own leg to escape, what will you do?"
This worries because the quote in the book from memory is something more like "an animal will gnaw off its own leg to escape, thats an animal sort of trick. A Human would wait to trap the hunter and so save more of his kind from the same fate."
The point of the scene in the book in to show how the Bene Gesserit see people- as either animals who act solely on instinct, or as 'humans' with the capability to use will and intillect to override instinct. Its the whole point of the test- to see if hes human or animal.
The dialogue in the film however seems to have just turned t into some sort of pain test with only a shallow nod to the book spurpose? That worries me, as the Dune story without all the social and societal commentary is just ok, the story is merely a vechicle to discuss these things. If you take them out, or simplify them too much you lose the point and the surface story on its own is not enough to sustain it. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:23 pm

RE the pain box, it's hard to judge until we get the full dialogue.  Sounds like script compression that may or may not lose the meaning.  I went back and looked at the lynch version, which didn't use the dialogue quoted but was very clear about the meaning.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum