Amarië
Eldy
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ten Fucking Years - Page 3 Empty Re: Ten Fucking Years

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Hidden hero my arse! Razz

He was a vindictive abusive psychopath till the last. He was just a bad-guy who switched sides because he got the girl he liked killed. If he was a good guy who actually respected Lily though, he would have treated Harry a lot better. Snape was a cruel, selfish bastard who only cared about his own sense of loss.

Think about it--Snape is the one responsible for putting a target on Harry's back, and 1/3 responsible for making Harry an orphan. And then he treated Harry like trash for seven years. You have to be a bit of a psychopath to be that cruel.

The best you can say is that Snape is a great literary antihero. He's a very compelling character. Smile

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

Ten Fucking Years - Page 3 Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Harry represented what Snape most wanted and couldn't get; and Harry's dad treated Snape with all the scumbaggery we see coming out of Snape later.  It makes psychological sense.  Another nice turn-around that JK pulled off is having Harry find out his idolized father wasn't all that nice a person all the time.

So Snape becomes the villain you can sympathize with, and a realistic hero: someone who you can't figure if you like him or not, but you feel some compassion for and it puzzles you.  Such complex depth is a rarity in a children's book, and is JK's greatest accomplishment.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Snape abused most of his students (Slytherins generally excepted). He was Neville's worst fear in the whole world when the kid was 13.* Snape was a terrible human being with a shitty upbringing that goes some way towards explaining the way he turned out but does not excuse all the things he did. Certainly a compelling character and one I enjoyed reading about, but he was not "good" and he most definitely does not deserve the praise and treatment he receives from a certain segment of HP fandom/the fanfic community.

*Footnote:

I can feel empathy for Snape having endured severe bullying at school for years as well as (from the brief glimpses we get) probably growing up in an abusive household--at the very least, a seriously dysfunctional one. Sadly, people who were abused going on to abuse others is a fairly common occurrence, but the fact that we can sympathize with parts of their experience doesn't mean the experiences of their own victims should be discounted. HP in general tends not to acknowledge the seriousness of child abuse when it occurs, though.
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Welcome to the first Norcing of the new year! cheers

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm

halfwise wrote:Welcome to the first Norcing of the new year! cheers

*sniffles* It's so beautiful!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 pm

I get all your points about Snape being an abuser because he had had a shtity childhood being bullied, but the one thing he lacked as an adult was a legitimate way out of the cycle of abusing. From what I read about Hogwarts it was like an enclosed Oxford college full of dusty professors and was surrounded by children which allowed him to be a bully. if he had worked in the Ministry for Magic and had been surrounded by adults and eligible females he might have been different or broken the cycle. He might however just bullied his work colleagues. But in an adult environment he might have been challenged more and made to think. I think he would have been a loner no matter what and being surrounded by couples might even made him worse. He is a complex character and Halfy is right, he is her greatest achievement.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Snape was NOT an innocent victim when he went to Hogwarts.

He was a vicious little racist thug who was part of a gang of junior death munchers who terrorised muggleborns and molested girls with dark magic.

I can empathise with Snape's shitty home life before Hogwarts, but he was a horrific neo-Nazi youth at school and then he became a neo-Nazi Terrorist.

When James "bullied" Snape, he didn't do anything to Snape which Snape hadn't already done to him, and undoubtedly many "Mudblood" students. Snape invented the spell that James used on him. Meaning that James was simply retaliating for prior incidents.

Details with chapter citations here:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-evidence-in-the-Harry-Potter-books-that-Snape-was-a-bully-as-a-kid/answer/Nathan-Beard-6

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

Ten Fucking Years - Page 3 Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Gandalf's Beard wrote:Snape was NOT an innocent victim when he went to Hogwarts.

He was a vicious little racist thug who was part of a gang of junior death munchers who terrorised muggleborns and molested girls with dark magic.

I can empathise with Snape's shitty home life before Hogwarts, but he was a horrific neo-Nazi youth at school and then he became a neo-Nazi Terrorist.

When James "bullied" Snape, he didn't do anything to Snape which Snape hadn't already done to him, and undoubtedly many "Mudblood" students. Snape invented the spell that James used on him. Meaning that James was simply retaliating for prior incidents.

Details with chapter citations here:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-evidence-in-the-Harry-Potter-books-that-Snape-was-a-bully-as-a-kid/answer/Nathan-Beard-6
ah yes totally agree! and as eldy pointet out, a lot of the HP-fandom really loves Snaoe and i cannot figure out why. maybe for the same reason people romantizise christian gray? i do remember however when i read that plot-twist and being like really mind fucked and for a second really liking the snape character but yeah.. he is an asshole and a terrible teacher.. 

totally loving the norcing here.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Amarië wrote:Merlin's beard! Gandalf's beard! I guess it was the newsletter that lured you back?

I am afraid I agree that Harry and Hermione would have made a great couple. But that is food for fanfics, canon should remain canon.
... i read a great drarry fanfic once.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 pm

halfwise wrote:Hey - I thought turning Snape into the hidden hero of HP was one of JK's grandest accomplishments!
yes, a hidden hero. an asshole. but a redeeming asshole.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Reminds me I wanted to ask what Eldy's ship is.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Many people who are little shits as children grow out of it as they get older. I think Figgs has a good point about being cooped up in Hogwarts.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Amarië wrote:Reminds me I wanted to ask what Eldy's ship is.

Aberforth/Aberforth's goat #believe
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:59 am

rofl

(Hi GB)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

I just wanted to point out that for the first time in, I dunno, years at least....I woke up, looked at the Forum, and saw more entries in the Tolkien section than in the non-Tolkien section! :carrot:  Made me feel good, it did.

With Elthir and Lorient both reappearing we're out of our Who/politics rut!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Yey!!

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:10 pm

All I can say Halfy is, Variety. And there seems to be shed loads of it here Smile Im now starting to look forward to the new Tolkien film due out in this Spring. Im looking forward to it more than I did the Hobbshit, just hope I wont feel let down. IL chuck up if it goes all Hollywood glossy & airbrushed.

Ten Fucking Years - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Ten Fucking Years - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:44 am

and now it's been 10 years since dark planet day

(what the fuck 2011 was not a decade ago, come on)
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am

The years are in conspiracy, they are ganging up on us. Theyve scraped all the even numbers & we only get odd numbers, ( Ive noticed I remember odd numbers better than even ? )

Ten Fucking Years - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Ten Fucking Years - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:25 pm

{{ Eldy!!! cheers Good to know you're still hovering over the forum and keeping an ex-Admins eye on the record keeping Nod
And I dont want to worry you, but those ten years they go faster and faster as you age Mad
I remember Dark Planet Day like it was yesterday, I was drunk, I know that for sure because I distinctly remember it was a...well, a day Nod drunken

Wonder where Odo's got to? He usually shows up on the anniversary of Dark Planet Day to take the credit  Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 pm

Oh, now I know why I wasn't around on Dark Planet Day.  i had started teaching some course or other, and it was too much to prepare for that and keep up with Forumshire.

Hiya Eldy! Wave

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:50 pm

10 years that's a flipping long time. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:40 pm

What would we do without you, Eldy?

10 years... Certainly gets you thinking... Shocked

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:01 pm

I don't remember any dark planet, only a grey forum scratch

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down