Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published

+3
Eldorion
Elthir
malickfan
7 posters

Go down

Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published  Empty Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm

pub

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published  Empty Re: Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published

Post by Elthir Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Well it's about time.

I thought we'd never get there.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published  Empty Re: Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Really? Geez, feels like it was yesterday.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 am

80 years, the time between Bilbo's and Frodo's big journeys.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 am

{{That does give some perspective Halfy on how long it would have felt- Bilbo's stories would be old mans news by Frodo's day. No wonder half the folks in Hobbiton dont believe a word of it! }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{That does give some perspective Halfy on how long it would have felt- Bilbo's stories would be old mans news by Frodo's day. No wonder half the folks in Hobbiton dont believe a word of it! }}}

On the other hand 80 was considered young for a hobbit, they lived for a century more often than not, Bilbo's story would already be ludicrous and hard to believe at the time even without 80 years of rumours and hearsay, though the myths about Bag End being filled of jewels and gold didn't subside...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 am

{{ True but Bilbo was already in his 50's when he was off adventuring, so there probably wouldn't be too many of his generation still on the go by Frodo's day. Even with longer hobbit lifespans. One of the few others from that generation we get to know is the Gaffer, and by the time of Frodo's day he is held in esteem for his age and homespun hobbit 'wisdom' (and quickly dismissed by some of the younger generation for it too who prefer the more scandalous versions of events like the tunnels being stuffed with jools!). So I think by Frodo's time even to hobbits Bilbo's tales would seem to be from a distant time. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 am

Eldorion wrote:Really? Geez, feels like it was yesterday.

Heheh... multi level remark... I like!

Thumbs Up
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:02 am

Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published  DKQvC8yWsAA4T_A

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:47 am

I like that picture, its something you could do yourself at home Very Happy  Gave me an idea of what book covers from other countries look like ?
I found quite a few Smile

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=foreign+Hobbit+book+covers&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp-LCPj7vWAhWsC8AKHQYrCZ8QsAQIJw&biw=1024&bih=618

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1024&bih=618&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=foreign+lord+of+the+rings+book+covers&oq=foreign+lord+of+the+rings+book+covers&gs_l=psy-ab.3...412603.421522.0.421970.23.23.0.0.0.0.185.1567.22j1.23.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.91...0.0.3lSaqvUWWQs

Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published  Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Today marks 80 years since The Hobbit was first published  Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum