Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my!

+3
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Elthir
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my! - Page 2 Empty Re: Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my!

Post by Elthir Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:06 pm

There are certainly different kinds of goblins, but I don't recall the word "goblin" being used in the chapter for the Mines of Moria in The Lord of the Rings.

It was Tom Shippey's opinion that "goblin" tended to not be used by the "wise and the long-lived" while hobbits used it, except that A) he used an incorrect secondary source regarding the instances of "goblin" in The Lord of the Rings to come to his conclusion, and B) he discounts The Hobbit (suggesting that it was not written with care in this regard in any case).

In The Lord of the Rings, I think the word "goblin" appears the most times in the chapter The Uruk-hai. If we count instances in chapters anyway.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my! - Page 2 Empty Re: Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my!

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:22 pm

thought I'd stick this here, it's kinda cute.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/lord-of-the-rings-orc-actor-panic-attack-set-1234630436/

Then he goes on to attribute the most nonsensical lines to Phillipa Boyens:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lord-rings-actor-philippa-boyens-225022875.html

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:26 pm

Ha, poor guy, hanging out alone at the wrap party. 

Even the article-writer failed to do him the service of getting a picture of his actual character. That's Snaga,

Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my! - Page 2 Lord-of-the-rings-orc

played by Jed Brophy

Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my! - Page 2 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg1.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20120117232422%2Flotr%2Fimages%2F8%2F86%2FJed_Brophy

This is Grishnakh

Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my! - Page 2 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

played by Stephen Ure

Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my! - Page 2 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

In LotR he also played Gorbag.

Orcs and goblins and trolls! Oh my! - Page 2 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpm1.narvii.com%2F6880%2Fb21fa597dce2cfcf96cb850f546a174a5cdfba49r1-694-664v2_hq

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Speaking of that "meat back on the menu" scene, what bothered me was that first we see the big Uruk take off Snaga's head, everyone gets excited and starts eating his body (seemingly pulling out entrails at one point?), but then we also get a shot of an orc lying on the ground writhing in panic as, seemingly, it is eaten alive. The orc on the ground still has its head, so what gives?

It starts at 2:14 if the link didn't work right.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:22 pm

Never noticed that orc on the ground before. Looks more like he's outside the group, but also looks like the one who got his head chopped off. Strange detail.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:18 pm

That's Snaga, - Forest

{{I always thought that was one of the women actors they got to play orcs!

As to the clip, there are two possibilities. The least likely, as being the only one makes any sense in the context of Tolkien, is that the Uruks for some reason decided to just attack and eat all the Mordor orcs, as its one of the smaller Mordor breeds on the ground under an Uruk foot.

Two, more likely because its PJ and he loves his over the top violence and gore, is that one orc being ripped apart and eaten was not simply not visually enough, so to heck with sense he wanted a shot of an orc still alive writhing as he is about to be violently killed and eaten too, so just put it in. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm

Alternatively, it could be a relic of an earlier version of the scene that they had filmed in anticipation of not being able to get the decapitation past the censors. Idk.

Funny how we get just one decapitation per movie, including the EE content, and Aragorn gets to deliver two of them. He must be the real hero of the trilogy!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2