Pettytyrant101
azriel
Amarië
halfwise
Eldorion
12 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

IT IS HERE! Forumshire fanfic collection - Page 4 Empty Re: IT IS HERE! Forumshire fanfic collection

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:07 pm

I've realized that some of the newer members who missed what Eldo refers to as "the sock puppet craze" might need some introduction to the characters. That in itself would be a major undertaking.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

IT IS HERE! Forumshire fanfic collection - Page 4 Empty Re: IT IS HERE! Forumshire fanfic collection

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Orwell wrote:I did wonder with some of the things if Eldo edited and added a creative touch or two.

I corrected spelling and punctuation errors when I noticed them and in a few cases (which I don't think included any of the Wholesome Tales) I combined consecutive short lines into single paragraphs if it made sense and didn't interrupt the flow of the dialogue. I didn't rewrite anyone's stories, though (not even mine).

Orwell wrote:I also now wonder at some of those Wholesome Tales.... not sure that they are all that Wholesome at times, though I hope I don’t offend anyone by suggesting that possibility...

The ones where I was hanged drawn and quartered, just hung regularly, and in one case killed and cannibalized were all very uplifting. Smile

{{{And no worries; I understand not to take the Wholesome Tales at face value. Wink}}}

halfwise wrote:I've realized that some of the newer members who missed what Eldo refers to as "the sock puppet craze" might need some introduction to the characters.   That in itself would be a major undertaking.

Even our newest regulars have been here for going on five years but if anyone is uncertain I could try to write a primer. Though my previous attempts at that were sometimes met with pushback, as can be seen in the All New Council of Odo chapter. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 pm

Eldorion wrote:

halfwise wrote:I've realized that some of the newer members who missed what Eldo refers to as "the sock puppet craze" might need some introduction to the characters.   That in itself would be a major undertaking.

Even our newest regulars have been here for going on five years but if anyone is uncertain I could try to write a primer. Though my previous attempts at that were sometimes met with pushback, as can be seen in the All New Council of Odo chapter. Razz

Page 1372. Took me half an hour read through to find it. Orwell is nothing if not prodigious in his output.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:16 am

That he is. Nod I applaud you for your reading progress so far though, halfy! cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:50 am

It is done Surprised Damn, to soon for me getting my updates in. Maybe in some weeks. silent One update though, the Howard Hughes-esque Eldo story is "2016-", not "2016-2017". More coming! At some point Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:52 am

Eldorion wrote:That he is. Nod I applaud you for your reading progress so far though, halfy! cheers

That was 30 minutes for just one thread. Shocked

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:42 am

halfwise wrote:
Eldorion wrote:

Page 1372.  Took me half an hour read through to find it.  Orwell is nothing if not prodigious in his output.

Eldo and Petty and Figg and all the other talents go for quality: me, I’m a quantity man. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:48 am

So you're saying it's the low-grade writing and humor that cracks me up? Suspect

By that measure other writers should move me equally. Somehow Trump's writing just doesn't have the same effect on me. Makes me laugh, even choke, but it's still not the same. :drum:

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 am

Bluebottle wrote:It is done  Surprised  Damn, to soon for me getting my updates in. Maybe in some weeks.  silent  One update though, the Howard Hughes-esque Eldo story is "2016-", not "2016-2017". More coming! At some point Smile

If/when I do the polished version I'd be happy to include your notes. Smile I probably won't start on it until at least the end of the semester; I found out today that I actually did really well on my midterm despite spending far more time editing this than studying for it, but I've gotta get into gear with my final projects now.

I see what you mean about the date thing, though I didn't mean to imply anything by it. None of the ongoing stories have an empty dash after them, but the editorial comments at the end of Hughes-esque (as well as Halfwise in Boots and Love Is A Doing Word) do note that it's still in progress. Wink

halfwise wrote:That was 30 minutes for just one thread. Shocked

There's a whole world of forum fanfic that's contained in here, man. Nod Many worlds, really. I'm only being slightly facetious when I call it our own mythology. My main hope for this collection is that it serves as a lasting testament to Forumshire, but I would love to see these stories be more widely read now, especially some of the obscure ones.

That said, if you're trying to find specific moments or investigate the origins of certain elements, then ctrl-f is your friend. Wink I've been having fun with that myself. I'm actually really tickled that there are 637 instances of fuck or some variation thereof in the collection. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 am

Orwell wrote:Eldo and Petty and Figg and all the other talents go for quality: me, I’m a quantity man. Very Happy

Your writing is full of gems, man. Both the prose and the poetry.

A battle? Oh dear! What a mighty laugh!
I fight bigger battles in my soapy bath!
With my gigantic penis as Chief of Staff,
Metaphorics? Just so! I'll pound his arse!

Even being on the receiving end of that, I laugh every time I land on that page again (p. 1706). Laughing And Thuglyffe was a story that I looked forward to editing because I remembered this gem from way back when:

One day – when her painting/drawing wrist was sore from drawing a picture of an albatross – Thuglyffe was resting in a deck chair. A cabin maid approached, by name Allygator.

"Miss, may I be having a moment of your time?" the latter asked timorously.

Thuglyffe opened a bleary eyed, but her scowl was mild. "Yes, what do you want, servile ship person-girl?"

But the whole story is great...

Spoiler:

Also, everyone should read The Jimmy. Nod But I'll stop here for now.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:03 am

Well, at least I didn't kill you off.. yet Very Happy I seem to remember I threw Ringo off a cliff though, (literally) and never explained scratch study Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:00 am

The Ringo moment made me stop and re-read to see if I had missed anything, yeah. Razz It's always nice to see my doppelgängers escape horrible, tortuous deaths, though. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:09 am

there are 637 instances of fuck or some variation thereof in the collection- Eldo

{{I wonder how many of them in one fashion or another come out the mouth of a characterisation of Norc?! Smile }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:42 am

halfwise wrote:So you're saying it's the low-grade writing and humor that cracks me up? Suspect

By that measure other writers should move me equally. Somehow Trump's writing just doesn't have the same effect on me.  Makes me laugh, even choke, but it's still not the same. :drum:

Oh i wouldn’t put anything by the Archet Bugle in Trump’s league.... Saucy Wink

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:51 am

Eldorion wrote:
Orwell wrote:Eldo and Petty and Figg and all the other talents go for quality: me, I’m a quantity man. Very Happy

Your writing is full of gems, man. Both the prose and the poetry.

A battle? Oh dear! What a mighty laugh!
I fight bigger battles in my soapy bath!
With my gigantic penis as Chief of Staff,
Metaphorics? Just so! I'll pound his arse!

Even being on the receiving end of that, I laugh every time I land on that page again (p. 1706). Laughing And Thuglyffe was a story that I looked forward to editing because I remembered this gem from way back when:

One day – when her painting/drawing wrist was sore from drawing a picture of an albatross – Thuglyffe was resting in a deck chair. A cabin maid approached, by name Allygator.

"Miss, may I be having a moment of your time?" the latter asked timorously.

Thuglyffe opened a bleary eyed, but her scowl was mild. "Yes, what do you want, servile ship person-girl?"

But the whole story is great...

Spoiler:

Also, everyone should read The Jimmy. Nod But I'll stop here for now.

I just finished reading Thuglyffe, funnily enough.... its one I have gone back to from time to time... makes me laugh, which is nice when you read your own stuff... and I also just read our poetry battle and was struck by the verse you posted: I often wonder why story and poetry writing comes so easily in Forumshire... some sort of magic in this place... and I was going to read the Jimmy... strange... .... spooky.... though I might read Firefox... incidentally, I have been taking a look through Figgy’s Nora tales... my gawd, they make me laugh..... Laughing

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:there are 637 instances of fuck or some variation thereof in the collection- Eldo

{{I wonder how many of them in one fashion or another come out the mouth of a characterisation of Norc?! Smile }}}

I wonder how many didn’t... who... when..? Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:28 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I wonder how many of them in one fashion or another come out the mouth of a characterisation of Norc?! Smile

Quite a few, to be sure. Laughing

NB I just noticed your new signature. It means a lot that you thought it worth changing now; thanks! Smile

Orwell wrote:I just finished reading Thuglyffe, funnily enough.... its one I have gone back to from time to time... makes me laugh, which is nice when you read your own stuff... and I also just read our poetry battle and was struck by the verse you posted: I often wonder why story and poetry writing comes so easily in Forumshire... some sort of magic in this place... and I was going to read the Jimmy... strange... .... spooky.... though I might read Firefox... incidentally, I have been taking a look through Figgy’s Nora tales... my gawd, they make me laugh..... Laughing

It's definitely a great creative environment. There's some much to draw on that, for me anyway, makes coming up with ideas/stories easier, even if I still only rarely end up writing very much. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 am

Just read Archet Bugle’s ‘Alternate Gospel.” It got me wondering. Does anyone here know if there really is a Hell? Not asking for any particular reason... .... just curious....

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:48 am

{{Yeah there is its called sobriety! No }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:47 pm

I actually quite liked that one but the ending is one of the reasons I haven't shared the collection with many non-forum friends. Razz Not sure how well the humor would translate without an awareness of what the Wholesome Tales/Eruvianism are and what they're parodying. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:there are 637 instances of fuck or some variation thereof in the collection- Eldo

I have been sober for many many years.... explains a lot in my personal life! Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:52 pm

Eldorion wrote:I actually quite liked that one but the ending is one of the reasons I haven't shared the collection with many non-forum friends. Razz Not sure how well the humor would translate without an awareness of what the Wholesome Tales/Eruvianism are and what they're parodying. Laughing

Yes, some people don’t have my sense of humour... including Eru, I imagine... pale

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Eldorion wrote:That said, if you're trying to find specific moments or investigate the origins of certain elements, then ctrl-f is your friend. Wink I've been having fun with that myself. I'm actually really tickled that there are 637 instances of fuck or some variation thereof in the collection. Very Happy

Fuck Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 pm

(NSFW I guess)

Last edited by Eldorion on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next