Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an screen adaptation eventually?

+6
azriel
Forest Shepherd
Eldorion
Mrs Figg
halfwise
malickfan
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an  screen adaptation eventually? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an screen adaptation eventually?

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:06 am

Preeetty sure he has blue boots.

Edit: darnit they are yellow.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an  screen adaptation eventually? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an screen adaptation eventually?

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am

Hey, I just noticed all this talk of a TV series. How did I miss it all!?!?

Anyway, my two bits worth. Give me Tom Bombadil in all his glory. And all of you who don’t love and want Bombadil... well, as a severe - but somewhat inattentive - Moderator, I plan to hunt you all out and Ban you for a Life from Forumshire.

What Amarie has been doing while I haven’t been doing what respectable Moderators should have been doing all along - that is' Banning Any proposed Tolkien TV series and all talk of them! - I might never know. I suspect she has ducked her responsibilities! Gone soft. Amarie wasn’t always soft. I remember those days when she ruled Dark Planet with an iron fist!  Mad

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:56 am

A "Bring back Bombadil" campaign is needed. He was in my mind before I saw the "Fellowship" & was royally pee'd off that he wasn't in the films. I remember saying I was looking forward to seeing him & coming away wondering why he wasn't ! Its a mad world.

Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an  screen adaptation eventually? - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an  screen adaptation eventually? - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 am

Maybe we should split Forumshire into two parts. The Purists and the ones who should be killed but we can’t so  let’s give them their own Forum.... [Once they are inside, we can lock the doors behind them]

I don’t know I want Jackson anywhere near Bombadil, mind... pale

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:15 am

Peejers had the Witches, one on each shoulder whispering delights & trinkets into his ear. He would no doubt have fucked it up. Boyens is as mad as a box of frogs, Walsh is a Hydra. All are in the wrong place in the wrong time. I cant help but think if Peejers was left alone to do manly things with manly men around him we might ( slim but ? ) might have got different films. When the Hobbshit came out it felt like he was poisoned beyond repair ! Hallucinating & running for an antidote !

Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an  screen adaptation eventually? - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Should Tom Bombadil make an appearance in an  screen adaptation eventually? - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am

No, PJ should not be let near Bombadil, but can you imagine what would have happened if Petty got his wish and David Lynch go his hands on Bombadil? affraid    I really think the Northern Exposure folks need to do Bombadil.

Last edited by halfwise on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 pm

I have an opinion which does not belong here at all on this particular thread, so, in true Forumshire tradition, I’ll go ahead and give it...

I think parts of the very early stages of The Hobbit (at Bag End) had real merit. El Toro, or whatever his name is, I think read The Hobbit and actually had a proper go at portraying Tolkien right.... I swear I can tell you what bits PJ and the Coven put in. They were unnecessary bits and not Tolkien at all.... as the film progressed, it got particularly horrible. I still haven’t even seen movie three. Movie two I saw once. Movie one I watched twice... but only because El Toro clearly did some of the earlier parts, no bull!

So, getting back to this thread, we need someone to give us a Bombadil like Tolkien described. It ain’t hard. It would work.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 am

Can but agree, even after all this time. Mad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 pm

I still think it's too difficult. It sort of turns into a Broadway/Disney dream sequence as everyone is singing and then suddenly it's back to normal.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:07 pm

{{ You should go watch the purist hobbit edits then Orwell, as from your alnalysis it contains all the Del Toro stuff till the end, and hardly any PJ! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:16 am

Del Toro wanted a female elf for the same reasons the coven did. He also wanted to shovel in more of the LotR cast.

https://screenrant.com/hobbit-movies-canceled-del-toro-secrets-facts-trivia/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:56 am

ALL of the LotR cast apparently, what a strange idea!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:31 pm

{{ I can never decide with Toro  if we missed out on an interesting adaptation of the book, or if it wouldnt have mattered which bullet we tried to dodge here we were still getting a pile of shite full in the face! Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:46 pm

I have a feeling Del Toro would have been as bad. Having seen his work after the first film, he tends to rehash his imagery so you can tell it is one his films.

as for Bombadil with the right actor it could be done well and without the potential for Disney. if they chose Jim Broadbent it would work, because he can do loveable or sinister at the flick of a switch, and he has those blue eyes. Watching him act in Harry Potter and Sky Atlas, he can be amazingly ambiguous, you don't know whether he is a friendly old hippy with yellow boots or an unpredictable, untameable and ancient magical being, and that is what you need for Bombadil.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:05 pm

Ive seen Mathew Kelly play deep, dark characters. Im sure he played a serial killer on TV ? He can be nutty funny one minute & then go all broody the next.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Bombadil doesn't brood. He's deep but never dark.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Matthew Kelly is a bit heavy-set and taurine for Bombadil, he reminds me of Shrek, you need someone whimsical and quicksilver.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote: If more people prized laughter and singing over decapitations of goblins and boot-lickers with uni-brows, the Tolkien movie-verse would be a merrier world!

Why can't elves perch in the tree-tops and make jokes about the dwarves' beards in between catches of song? Would that be so terrible?!? But nOo, they're the warrior race that eats lettuce and knows things.

Laughing

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I have a feeling Del Toro would have been as bad. Having seen his work after the first film, he tends to rehash his imagery so you can tell it is one his films.

as for Bombadil with the right actor it could be done well and without the potential for Disney. if they chose Jim Broadbent it would work, because he can do loveable or sinister at the flick of a switch, and he has those blue eyes. Watching him act in Harry Potter and Sky Atlas, he can be amazingly ambiguous, you don't know whether he is a friendly old hippy with yellow boots or an unpredictable, untameable and ancient magical being, and that is what you need for Bombadil.

Interesting. Whatever the case, I think it could be done with the right director and the right actor.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:39 pm

azriel wrote:Ive seen Mathew Kelly play deep, dark characters. Im sure he played a serial killer on TV ? He can be nutty funny one minute & then go all broody the next.

And Tom is jolly, full of zest, not to ridiculous. A weird thought just flashed into my head: Radagast in the early bit of the Hobbit. Not exactly, but you know... Hated that...but as Bombadil. Obviously, not saying exactly like that, but it’s almost there.... mmm... I’d have to watch the movie again to see if I just didn’t go nuts just then... but I’d be nuts to even to go and watch the movie again.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Elthir wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote: If more people prized laughter and singing over decapitations of goblins and boot-lickers with uni-brows, the Tolkien movie-verse would be a merrier world!

Why can't elves perch in the tree-tops and make jokes about the dwarves' beards in between catches of song? Would that be so terrible?!? But nOo, they're the warrior race that eats lettuce and knows things.

Laughing

Not sure the elves were actually in the treetops. In the trees, or high up, in the trees, as in, high up the valley??? Curious. Otherwise, why not? How it’s in the book, I mean.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Tree-middles?

Probably not tree-bottoms. But in any case I think Tree-Tops goes well enough with Terrible and leTTuce and Tom and ediT and darniT and booTs.

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Elthir wrote:Tree-middles?

Probably not tree-bottoms. But in any case I think Tree-Tops goes well enough with Terrible and leTTuce and Tom and ediT and darniT and booTs.

At the risk of being serious, and therefore out of character (for me), i always thought the elves were just high up the valley side ‘among’ the trees. Or something. Read that book probably ten times, but not for quite a few years. Maybe I need some read it again!

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:54 pm

We are told they are "in the trees", and reading it as a kid who was wont to climb trees, I always took it that the elves were hanging and swinging in the trees as they sang. This is why we get voices but no real visual descriptions of the elves. But maybe that's because it's twilight.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:34 pm

But if you want a real question, how did the elves know the names of Mr Baggins, Balin and Dwalin? We don't hear of Gandalf talking to any elf messengers, or pre-announcements of a trip being made.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next