chris63 wrote:Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 2016%2B-%2B1

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 Empty Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:27 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 13619908_460844287455992_7287243609663666604_n

Excellent! Very Happy

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:43 am

We combined Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire discussion, did we not?

Anyway, I was thinking about comparing the death scenes of the literary characters that Sean Bean has played in both ASoIaF and LotR, and I wrote up a bit on Reddit in response to an idiotic post someone had made about a tribute to Game of Thrones using the lines Sam and Frodo have at the end of the Two Towers film. 

I then realized it was wasted on Reddit, and copy-pasted it over here for our enjoyment!  study

As follows:

Boromir's death is intended to be more meaningful than Ned's death, I feel.

Let us compare the literature.

"A mile, maybe, from Parth Galen in a little glade not far from the lake he found Boromir. He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black-feathered arrows; his sword was still in his hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two was at his side. Many Orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet. 

Aragorn knelt beside him. Boromir opened his eyes and stroke to speak. At last slow words came. 'I tried to take the ring from Frodo,' he said. 'I am sorry. I have paid.' His glance strayed to his fallen enemies; twenty at least lay there. 'They have gone: the Halflings: the Orcs have taken them. I think they are not dead. Orcs bound them.' He paused and his eyes closed wearily. After a moment he spoke again. 

'Farewell, Aragorn! Go to Minas Tirith and save my people! I have failed.'

'No!' said Aragorn, taking his hand and kissing his brow. 'You have conquered. Few have gained such a victory. Be at peace! Minas Tirith shall not fall!'

Boromir smiled. 

'Which way did they go? Was Frodo there?' said Aragorn.

But Boromir did not speak again."

The Two Towers, "The Departure of Boromir"

In comparison, Martin tells the execution of Eddard Stark from the vantage point of Arya as she watches from the crowd. He's so broken down in this scene:

"That was when she saw her father.
Lord Eddard stood on the High Septon's pulpit outside the doors of the sept, supported between two of the gold cloaks...he was thinner than Arya had ever seen him, his long face drawn with pain. He was not standing so much as being held up; the cast over his broken leg was grey and rotten."

We see how low his fabled honour is brought as he admits to crimes he has not committed:

"The man in the black-and-gold armor stepped up behind Father and prodded him sharply. You leave him alone! Arya wanted to shout, but she knew no one would listen. She chewed her lip."
Her father raised his voice and began again. 'I am Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King,' he said more loudly, his voice carrying across the plaza, 'and I come before you to confess my treason in the sight of gods and men.'
'No,' Arya whimpered. Below her, the crowd began to scream and shout. Taunts and obscenities filled the air. Sansa had hidden her face in her hands."

He elaborates on the nature of his crimes and the crowd grows angrier. 

"A stone came sailing out of the crowd. Arya cried out as she saw her father hit...Blood ran down his face from a deep gash across his forehead."

In Tolkienian terms, the crowd acts more like a group of orcs than anything else. 

"A thousand voices were screaming."

They respond to Joffrey's command for Eddard to lose his head with:

"The crowd roared, and Arya felt the statue of Baelor rock as they surged against it."

And then Eddard is decapitated with the Starks' ancestral sword. And the crowd has this weird kind of voyeuristic *petit-mort* reaction.

"The old man shook her so hard her teeth rattled. 'Shut your mouth and close your eyes, boy.' Dimly, as if from far away, she heard a... a noise... a soft sighing sound, as if a million people had let out their breath at once."

The most obvious difference to me is that Martin is writing with more modern stream-of-consciousness style. And it's obvious to the point of my not needing to say it that Boromir willingly sacrifices himself and performs an atonement in his eyes for his earlier weakness with Frodo. While Eddard intends to live and serve in the Night's Watch, only to be thrown under the wheels of Joffrey's shitty little brat-face-ness. So really the major difference is that Boromir's death has meaning, while it's hard to find much meaning in Ned's death apart from it being, perhaps, Cersei's secret wish-fulfillment that her son would do away with this man who has lost in the game of thrones. She had earlier said that "when you play the games of thrones, you live or you die".

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to think about.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Jon Snow at a dinner party - even Blue might find this funny Laughing

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Well.. mebbeh.. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Figgs posted that a while back. I do believe.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Ah, must've missed it Very Happy

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:15 pm

GOT S7 confirmed to be seven episodes and will air in summer 2017 rather than spring as the first six seasons did.

https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/game-of-thrones-s7-production-9c12d317565d

S8 will probably be six episodes but still no official word on that.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:

Boromir's death is intended to be more meaningful than Ned's death, I feel.
The most obvious difference to me is that Martin is writing with more modern stream-of-consciousness style. And it's obvious to the point of my not needing to say it that Boromir willingly sacrifices himself and performs an atonement in his eyes for his earlier weakness with Frodo. While Eddard intends to live and serve in the Night's Watch, only to be thrown under the wheels of Joffrey's shitty little brat-face-ness. So really the major difference is that Boromir's death has meaning, while it's hard to find much meaning in Ned's death apart from it being, perhaps, Cersei's secret wish-fulfillment that her son would do away with this man who has lost in the game of thrones. She had earlier said that "when you play the games of thrones, you live or you die".

There was a discussion a while back about whether GRRM had themes or not. I held that he tended more towards the random side of things rather than themes, and in retrospect a better way to put it is whether GRRM imbues his work with meaning the way Tolkien did. I'd say he does not - his point is that there is no deeper meaning, which is the opposite of Tolkien.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:32 am

Could this happen ?

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:57 am

*cough*cradle-robber*cough*

(It is unfaithful of me, but I didn't even watch the video because I couldn't think of a reason that I would care whether Jon marries her or not.)  :/

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:44 pm

I apologise if this has been posted before Smile....................

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:18 am

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 16%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:25 am

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 13735874_652687888214355_1176058545_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:36 pm

chris63 wrote:Game of Thrones [2] - Page 3 16%2B-%2B1

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:10 pm

So what kind of character summary or back story did the writers of Game of Thrones give Dillane when they hired him to play Stannis?
“They didn’t. I had to fish around to get any sort of information and even then it was just ‘Oh he’s won a few battles’ and the rest of it I had to glean from the scripts. I had no idea at all, really, and that probably shows. If you look back on it, you probably see somebody standing there looking pretty bewildered, wondering what on earth is going on and where this is leading. You just have to trust that the fact that you’re in the dark is in some way playing out well.” —

Brisbane Times interview with Stephen Dillane

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:46 pm

That's kind of a stupid way to direct.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:05 am

Tell me about it Nod

“Maybe if you spoke to Peter Dinklage [who plays the hero, Tyrion Lannister] you’d get a different story, but I’m sort of on the periphery of the whole thing, so I turn up, do a few days filming in Northern Ireland and go away again. It really is a functional existence, in a way, the Stannis plot for me.”
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/the-tribal-mind-20140609-zs25t.html

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:12 pm

he should have read the books then shouldn't he. he has admitted he only did the show for the money and that he didn't enjoy it or 'get' it. sounds perfect casting for a man who was a grumpy git.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Not sure that would have helped all that much..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:52 pm

{Garostudios latest for your pleasure}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Thumbs Up excellent stuff
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg