azriel
Pettytyrant101
chris63
15 posters

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

Go down

Future releases [2] - Page 2 Empty Re: Future releases [2]

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:04 am

At first when I saw Matt Damon in a medieval Chinese setting I was kind of pissed: he doesn't belong there. Then I saw this is a Chinese made fantasy epic, and I'm a huge fan of Chinese epic movies. Finally we see how clever their marketing is: there's a Chinese focus of course, but they recruited some big name Western actors to help them sell the movie world wide (we get Prince Oberon back!). Gotta love it. I hope it's great.

AND.... it has badass Asian chicks kicking butt. Can't possibly go wrong with BAACKB.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am

More boob plate. Rolling Eyes

This film really stands out to me as an example of the Chinese film industry wading into the international blockbuster market.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:34 am

halfwise wrote:Money.   But yeah, the original was about as good as film can get with a spare dialogue.  All style and concept.  This new film better be blasted good or they will lose their shirts.

All style and concept my foot! Those sets didn't build themselves you know!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Yes, they had extra time because of the writer's strike. That's why the style was so perfect, and has largely been unmatched since. They had time to take it where no film had gone before.

"All style and concept" was not a contemptuous remark. It was a tip of the hat to a movie that was great with no clever banter, no great monologues (though the voice-overs were pretty great); a lot of time taken for scene setting, and time to let the philosophical ramifications of the replicants settle in. It was essentially a Sergio Leone science fiction film.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Hm.
I thought it was a general consensus that the removal of the voice-over from the Director's Cut made Blade Runner much better.

I agree about the movie doing a good job of adopting a pace that allowed one to think through this question of the replicants, and their plight.

Although the "Tears in Rain" speech is absolutely a great monologue, by any filmic definition!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:53 pm

At first when I saw Matt Damon in a medieval Chinese setting I was kind of pissed: he doesn't belong there.- Halfy

{{Saw the director talking about thts and he just laughed at the accusations Damon was taking work from a chinese actor- and said of course he is not-his character in the story is supposed to be someone from the west- so that sorts that out!}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Although the "Tears in Rain" speech is absolutely a great monologue, by any filmic definition!

Yes, truly a great monologue.  But what other movie only has one or two memorable speeches, yet is still considered great?  The whole stylistic construct was built to frame that one concept finally articulated at the end.  It's not a movie built on dialogue and human relations, it's aiming for the abstract.  And did so brilliantly.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Halfwise wrote: But what other movie only has one or two memorable speeches, yet is still considered great?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. lol!

No, not really. Razz I see what you mean.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:28 pm

The Great Wall is just the sort of chop socky film that I like Smile With these Oriental fantasy films I don't care abourt this or that, I just take it all in as a whole, I wont even analyse it, I just enjoy them for the spectacle they are Smile
And yes, Forest, great speech from Rutger Nod

Future releases [2] - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Future releases [2] - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:39 am

This looks fun.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Id watch it Smile & I really don't like musicals. My beef with Disney before Pixar jumped in was, the eeeeeeeeeeeeendless bloody singing ! A 2 or 3 minute song, ok but, every time anyone opened their mouth ???!!!!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:49 pm

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:32 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:32 am

I'm looking forward to that Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Oh hey, it's that girl from Fantastic Beasts.

Well they certainly covered the sexual imagery with that shower scene. :facepalm:

Is it just me, or does the plot appear to be exactly like the last film? People are instructed to go somewhere, the robot-dude comes along, people get infected by face-hugger as they stand over ominous penis-projector, and everyone probably dies.

I'm all for using a tried-and-true storytelling method, but is a new cast enough to make this film worth watching if it follows the same basic steps as the last film? I mean, they even included the slowly-metamorphing bit with that small speck of black that goes in the guy's ear.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:19 pm

they will probably do a lot of running down dark corridors. Rolling Eyes I will still watch it though. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Dark vaginal corridors.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Shocked *gulp*

heard they are making Kingsman 2 cheers
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 pm

The Power Rangers reboot looks terrible, and not 90's cheesy terrible like the TV series:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:59 pm

What a mountain of banality these CGI-drenched slam-fest movies are these days.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:55 pm

yep, it certainly does but, there may come an afternoon when, I just might watch it . I do hate it when someone says "you was born for this"......or......" I was born for this"......NOOOOOOOO! you fooking weren't, it was written in the script by a lazy person !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:51 am

The cliche lines in the second trailer for The Great Wall were as numerous as they were ridiculous.

Spoiler:

"A weapon more powerful...than any that we have ever known."

Ultimate Weapon, check.

"There are many things you have not seen."

https://youtu.be/moaW8LRusak?t=110

"The... only barrier... keeping the world safe."

The stakes? 

Ultimate doom for everyone!

Where have we seen this?

Every super-hero/sci-fi/epic-fantasy film of the last twenty years.

"They've trained all their lives for this war."

Along with Aragorn and all the others who have been "preparing for something their whole lives".

"I've fought for greed. And gods. This is the first war I've seen worth fighting."

Priam in the 2004 film Troy: "I've fought many wars in my time. Some I've fought for land, some for power, some for glory. I suppose fighting for love makes more sense than all the rest."

And just Mulan: "A girl worth fighting for!" 

The jaded warrior finds a cause worth dying for... Give me a break! Rolling Eyes

And, of course, enough cliff-diving bass-drops, dissonant descending horns, and racing orchestral music to blast a film producer out of his shoes and out the back wall of his mansion into the champagne pool.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:12 am

Laughing Oh yes

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Well, we all know the trailers do not reflect the actual movie. I'll wait to pass judgement since I kinda liked the first trailer.

But it's a little unfair to judge a movie on plot points. All plot points are recycled endlessly. Robert Heinlein said there were only three story lines: boy meets girl, the quest, and the clever taylor (outsmarts everyone he meets). The key is in how all these time-torn ideas are fleshed out.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 am

Forest Shepherd said there was only one story: Something happens! 

The majority of my criticism is motivated by the fact that the movie is about large green dogs storming the Great Wall of China. The inclusion of all these tropes to suit and accommodate that central plot-point is what makes me dismiss the film's merits out of hand.

Reminds me of Gary Larson's The Far Side. Razz 

Future releases [2] - Page 2 IMIucjZ

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next