Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era)

+13
Orwell
Amarië
Bluebottle
Tinuviel
Elthir
halfwise
bungobaggins
Forest Shepherd
malickfan
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
azriel
Eldorion
17 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 Empty Re: Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era)

Post by azriel Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm

the things you can do in the dark Smile Manhandling wood at an early hour ? But then you do need to use your hands to smooth & find bumpy bits, Only the firm, soft touch of your finger tips can do this

Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 Empty Re: Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era)

Post by Norc Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:03 pm

halfwise wrote:I'd think you'd know your way around your erection well enough by now to not need a flashlight.

sometimes one needs a machete though....
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Of the missing ones, Ally disappeared abruptly in late 2013 and no one has heard from her since; several of us fear the worst.

this is actually very worrysome.. Sad i hope she just .. idk.. got tired of tolkien/peter jackson
Eldorion wrote:
Gandalf's Beard is still active elsewhere online and spends much of his time these days writing erotic Harry Potter fanfiction.

Laughing this is amusing ..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 am

Norc wrote:
halfwise wrote:I'd think you'd know your way around your erection well enough by now to not need a flashlight.

sometimes one needs a machete though...
No

That is too bad to hear about Ally having disappeared. That's before my time, but even so it makes one wonder whether one's family would say goodbye for one online if one were to suddenly depart for good.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:59 am

I do miss Ally, still....

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 am

Me too.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 pm

I also miss and worry about Ally when I'm reminded of her. She used to mention having accounts on other Tolkien forums but I don't think she used the same username elsewhere; at any rate I've never recognized her despite being on some of the same sites. I briefly interacted with her on Facebook on Dark Planet Day but her profile there is completely blanked out. :/
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 am

When you say ‘interacted’, do you mean you had actual contact recently?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 am

I had actual contact with her on Dark Planet Day -- the original one, almost seven years ago, which is how I told her about the new (this) forum. Sorry if I was unclear.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:13 am

No probs. Thought it might have been the case. Just needed clarity... mind, if you had have contacted Ally this Dark Planet Day, it would have been good news, indeed: or, at least, ‘news’. Crying or Very sad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm

I haven't really been continuing this project this year, but I've made a couple quick glances at the top tier of forums in recent weeks. I can't guarantee that no other forums would've displaced any of the top eight (with the exception of the Plaza, which has been offline since late March), but the chances of that are fairly low, and the odds of it impacting the top four even less. The way things are shaping it up, it looks like we'll end with (1) TORn, (2) Hall of Fire, (3) Arwen-Undomiel.com, and (4) Forumshire, which is the same top four as last year, but with the top three having all changed position.

There's a real possibility that TORn will be the only forum to finish with over 10K posts for the year. Thus, the Tolkien Society Facebook group will probably be the most active online English language Tolkien community of 2018, as was likely the case in 2017 as well. They used to publish (and probably still do) estimates of how many posts and comments the group received, but I'm not a member of the Society anymore so I don't receive issues of the newsletter (Amon Hen). In 2016 they were pretty regularly getting 1000-2000 combined posts/comments a month, though I would think they've slowed down over the past couple years along with everyone else. There are a few other Tolkien FB groups that might also surpass most of the remaining active message boards, but I think the TS has the most members, at least.

Of course, there's a lot of ways in which Facebook groups and message boards defy easy comparison, but this ties back into my comments last December regarding the shift in center of gravity from forums to social media. There are a few sizable Tolkien subreddits but I'm not gonna try to make an estimate of how many posts they get. Razz /r/tolkienfans would probably rank in this project if I had an easy way to do so and decided to expand the scope, though--maybe /r/lotr too.
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 pm

So we are still ticking along. We may not be picking the bones out of LOTRs or The Gobshite anymore but, are the other Forums still knee deep in Orcs ? Has anyone rubbed an Ent lately ? I think I can go to bed tonight secure in the knowledge that we are defiantly still plodding on Smile

Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 pm

P.S, I do like the way you keep us up to date on this Smile

Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 Hatty

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks az, that's always encouraging to hear. Smile
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Meanwhile I thought Chris had posted a video with an interesting theory about prescience in the Tolkien Humor thread (of all places). Nobody has commented on it but me but it seemed like an interesting bit of Tolkien lore worth discussion. Which hasn't happened in ages.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:26 am

{{{{{ Problem there Halfy was you said it all in your own reply, nice idea, but doesn't quite work, I felt there was not much to be added.

But if anyone is up for a lore discussion there was Eldy's fine piece on the Numenoreans. That has far greater meat ton the bone to feast on! Nod

I have always been fascinated by that story- its a heady brew of myths and religious ideals mashed together, Atlantis, Eden, the serpent in the garden and fall of man, the flood and Noah, direct divine intervention and a reshaping of an entire world from flat to round!
So many fascinating aspects before you even get into characters or setting or individual tales.

So if anyone is up for a Numenorean based chat I'm all for that. Nod

Here's Eldy's finest Lore from the Tower of Lore be the starting point for discussion-

https://terpconnect.umd.edu/~jkeener/tolkien/numenorean.html

Anyone fancy a good old fashioned Tolkien lore debate then? study }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{{{Anyone fancy a good old fashioned Tolkien lore debate then? study }}}

possibly involving livestock? Nod :carrot:

Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 UJpDi Largest Tolkien Forums of 2015 (end of an era) - Page 6 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
So if anyone is up for a Numenorean based chat I'm all for that. Nod

Here's Eldy's finest Lore from the Tower of Lore be the starting point for discussion-

https://terpconnect.umd.edu/~jkeener/tolkien/numenorean.html

Anyone fancy a good old fashioned Tolkien lore debate then? study

I remember first encountering that essay more than a year ago and being blown away. Eldy had clearly entered the ranks of the Wise and the Great, and the problem is that I'm not sure any of the rest of us are really up to the level to "debate" much that's in there.

It's a fascinating topic to be sure, and to me one of the more interesting things about it is that Tolkien's "chosen people" by his own admission can be arrogant asshats at times. This is referenced in TTT when even Aragorn refers to the Dunlendings language as sounding no more than the bleats of farm animals to his ears, while Gamling notes it is an ancient language and clearly has some regard for them. As noted in the essay they would have equal claim of lineage as the Rohirrim, but looks and politics were against them.

Eldy's distinction between history from secondary world sources and history from the outside narrator is relevant here: much of what I might perceive as Tolkien's white man's racism can stem from being from the Numenorian perspective, while his own characters often contradict this chauvinistic viewpoint, such as Sam wondering about the life of the slain Haradrim.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:24 pm

possibly involving livestock?- Dave

{{Well Numenor had everything the Numeroreans needed upon rising up out the sea or wherever it came from- I dont know if Tolkien mentions them taking livestock to the islands or if it already had its own. It is a divinely created island after all, in a nice star motif.
And then there is the matter of horses, grey or otherwise, they definitely had them on the island as folk round about on it- but were they there when they arrived or did they bring them? And if they were there were they Divine horse, like Shadowfax, is that how that line ended up in Rohan? (Offhand cant remember where Tolkien says the Mearas came from, but I think he does somewhere!- Lore Master required!!)  }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 pm

I just saw a message on the bottom of the home page that said the largest number of users ever online was 36 users on Dec 29, 2019.

What did I miss? Shocked

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:48 pm

Oh it was just the best party ever, like the bestest picnic in history. And it's no wonder you don't remember, silly man, you were sooo drunk! Forgot your name and everything, then Orwell was acting out scenes from wholesome tales - as a cationary tale of course - and you started weeping and saying you wanted to go home and that your name was...

Um...

The buckie barrel race and... Oh dear.

Well, never mind that. How was your new year eve? Did your brother surv- ARRIVE I mean. Think it was supposed to be a surprise.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 pm

I suppose that explains why I woke up in the tub wearing a curtain for a diaper with my address pinned to it. Thanks to whoever took care of sending me home. clown

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Going back to Petty's question from a year ago, the LotR fandom Wiki digs up two mentions of the Mearas origin, one saying Orome brought them from the West, another saying they were brought from Westernesse. https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Mearas

Since they are mainly associated with the kings of Rohan, I'm inclined to doubt the Westernesse origin.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 pm

I just noticed the following statistic at the bottom of the page:

Most users ever online was 37 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:41 am

Wha....?!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next