Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

+12
bungobaggins
halfwise
Orwell
David H
davidjoneshoward
Ringdrotten
ElendilTheShort
Radaghast
Elthir
azriel
dak
Forest Shepherd
16 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by azriel Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:20 pm

Im thinking of Connery as the Monk in "Name of the Rose", so, going by that, he might have made a decent Gandalf, especially as Connery has aged ( matured ) a bit Very Happy

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:44 pm

ElendilTheShort wrote:Daniel Day Lewis as Aragorn, fits the physical description in the book and supplementary sources very well, if not perfectly.

He actually turned down the role, several times!

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:00 pm

thank goodness, he doesn't look the part.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:thank goodness, he doesn't look the part.

He's lanky and skiny, but I think if he put on a few stone/kilograms, he certainly has the charm and acting chops to pull it off, at a guess Jackson and co may have had a different interpreatation of Aragorn in mind before they hired Mortensen as they fires whatshisface for being too young...

Mortensen was excellent as Aragorn, but by no means irreplaceable i.m.o.

I liked John Hurt's performance in the Bakshi film, he would have been a good choice 30 years ago me thinks.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Iirc, Connery was offered but turned down Gandalf on the basis of not understanding the story.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Radaghast wrote:Iirc, Connery was offered but turned down Gandalf on the basis of not understanding the story.

Yeah, he read the book, read the screenplay, but didn't understand the plot, and didn't want to commit to a year filming in NZ.

Apparently he would have been $450 million better off if he hadn't.

I can't picture him as Gandalf personally...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Me neither. He could have made a good Denethor, though, I think. Book Denethor, not pathetic slob John Noble Denethor.

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 pm

Radaghast wrote:Iirc, Connery was offered but turned down Gandalf on the basis of not understanding the story.

Perhaps Connery could teach Jackson a thing or two.

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:43 pm

James Purefoy could have made a good Faramir. thinking of his Solomon Kane
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:03 pm

I am Figgy, I am cyclops

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:32 pm

Connery as Denethor could have worked- but you have the accent problem- Connery only acts is Scots, he cant do anything else.
So do you make all Gondorians Scottish sounding to match?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:48 pm

no worries there Petty, peejers didnt give anyone else anything to say ! Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Very Happy Very true- I forgot Gondor is a 1 man state!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:09 am

Laughing

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Very Happy Very true- I forgot Gondor is a 1 man state!

You are clearly forgetting this bloke:

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 The_Lord_of_the_Rings_-_The_Return_of_the_King_-_Irolas

Razz

Apparently he was supposed to be Beregrond at one point:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Irolas

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:54 pm

You are clearly forgetting this bloke- Malick

He had so little to do I wouldn't be surprised to find the character listed in the credits as 'that bloke'

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Connery as Denethor could have worked- but you have the accent problem- Connery only acts is Scots, he cant do anything else.

Well they made Pippin Scottish for some reason (did they think Thain=Laird?), so why not?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

He had so little to do I wouldn't be surprised to find the character listed in the credits as 'that bloke'

The same almost holds true for Bilbo Razz Sad

I always thought they should have just rolled with it and renamed Legolas The Exposition Ninja, he's either shooting people in the eyeballs, or stating the obvious, no wonder he's basically be reduced to an internet meme...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Well they made Pippin Scottish for some reason (did they think Thain=Laird?), so why not? -Malick

I doubt it- there is not hint in PJ's version they know he is supposed to be a Thain or from one of the most important families in hobbit society. Film version is some sort of vagabond that steals fireworks, get drunk in the pub then goes and steals food from farmers for something to eat.

If it were me I would have gone for regional English accents, but all from a small area, so somewhere thats got close by but geographically separate places with localised differences in dialect. The posher of which would be the Pippin, Merry, Frodo dialect (Frodo originally being from Buckland too of course) and Sam and the Hobbiton hobbits would have a different accent, lower class rural but with English reaches of middle class within it to account for your Sack-villes ect.
And I would have cast physically for the different types of hobbit.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:52 pm

malickfan wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Connery as Denethor could have worked- but you have the accent problem- Connery only acts is Scots, he cant do anything else.

Well they made Pippin Scottish for some reason (did they think Thain=Laird?), so why not?
Yeah, I'd rather a disparate accent than a terrible characterization.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:38 pm

malickfan wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Very Happy Very true- I forgot Gondor is a 1 man state!

You are clearly forgetting this bloke:

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 The_Lord_of_the_Rings_-_The_Return_of_the_King_-_Irolas

Razz

Apparently he was supposed to be Beregrond at one point:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Irolas

Long was that doom forseen Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm glad that dude wasn't Beregond. He looks lie a lame-ass.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:14 am

Laughing Sterling film discussion guys! Very Happy

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 2 Empty yeah,naa, i disagree

Post by ElendilTheShort Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:37 am

malickfan wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:thank goodness, he doesn't look the part.

He's lanky and skiny, but I think if he put on a few stone/kilograms, he certainly has the charm and acting chops to pull it off, at a guess Jackson and co may have had a different interpreatation of Aragorn in mind before they hired Mortensen as they fires whatshisface for being too young...

Mortensen was excellent as Aragorn, but by no means irreplaceable i.m.o.

I liked John Hurt's performance in the Bakshi film, he would have been a good choice 30 years ago me thinks.

aragorn is described as tall and lean which is what day lewis is. He also has that noble looking sort of face with the prolific nose and wotnot. To the earlier commentor about Last of the Mohicans, give him that look with the long dark hair, chuck in some flecks of grey, give him the clothes described in the book instead of some pimp looking rock star leather coat and we have an actual numenorean aragorn.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Yeah, I agree about Day-Lewis. Not infrequently, when reading the book, I'd picture Day-Lewis as Aragorn.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next