The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film?

+11
Squach
Biffo Banks
Brian Boru
Saradoc
odo banks
Pettytyrant101
Kafria
Ally
Eldorion
Gandalf's Beard
Ringdrotten
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film? - Page 4 Empty Re: The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film?

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Well, Gandalf's lines from that scene are taken from the book, only they're not Gandalf's lines there. One of the "Coven's" more brilliant ideas, if I may say so Wink

The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film? - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film? - Page 4 Empty Re: The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film?

Post by Ally Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Still my favourite scene! (Do I hint a tiny bit of sarcasm Ringdrotten...?) Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Not at all! It is my honest opinion, I think giving Gandalf those lines was a brilliant idea. Would be a shame to leave such excellent writing untouched Smile (though I must say, they did leave a lot of excellent writing untouched, and for that I will never be able to completely forgive Jackson and friends Mad )

The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film? - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:28 am

The dribbling scene was utter crud, way off the mark, Denethor wasn't a rustic oaf in a hay barn, how can you guys say it was a great scene? You people do make me angry at times. Like you don't get Tolkien at all.... I concede Pippin's singing was nice, though still Wrong I'm afraid. And Faramir riding out was okay in a so-so way - but still Wrong! But DENETHOR! He was from a long line of Gondorian Stewards - with at least a spattering of Numenorean blood. You guys are mad - mad, I say! Mad
odo banks
odo banks
Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 am

I find the Pippin singing whilst Denethor dribbles blood red tomato juice down his chin and Faramir rides to danger to be one of the biggest stinking piles of cheese in the entire trilogy of films. I actually laughed out loud in the cinema at the crassness of that scene. Its about as subtle as PJ coming round your house and rubbing onions in your eyes whilst screaming "This is an emotional bit!" through a megaphone.

And that's before you take the technical problems into account- mainly the position and distance of Osgiliath in relation to Minas Tirith seems to shrink and grew to suit the plot of the moment. But then this is a film where a man on fire can run for more than half a mile to throw himself off the top of a building for no other reason than it looks 'cool'.
Utter rubbish.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 pm

So it should to be shure, the scouring is essential. Stops Merry and Pippin from becomin PJs twats and shows them becumin all growd up. Its the best feel good bit in d book.

Brian Boru
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Darn tootin! Mad
odo banks
odo banks
Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:38 am

odo banks wrote:

Films can be made again. One day... yes, one day. I dare to dream.

I hope for a long life, at least another 50 years and in that time I do not have your hope that anyone will ever do another remake or adaption of LOTR. Mad The scouring is lost forever.

Brian Boru
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 am

"Stops Merry and Pippin from becomin PJs twats"- Brian Boru

I think we may share a view or two on PJ's treatment of characters!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Biffo Banks Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Desmund tuuttin'! Mad
Biffo Banks
Biffo Banks
Braneyobbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm

ITS MY BIRTHDAY TOMMOROW!!! I WILL BE TWELVE (FINALLY!!!) afro

No, I havn't had some of mum's buckie. I think. scratch I am just really excited for my birthday!! Me and mum made an awesome cake today and it has purple icing on the top! (Red food colouring + Blue food colouring = purple icing. Purple icing = my favourite colour!)
You had better all wish me a happy birthday tommorow or... I don't know, you will just ruin my whole birthday! AND put me in a crabbit mood beyond belief as well! (Need a smilie with arms folded and a pouty face!) Gonna try and wake up really early so i can open prezzies!

Night!
Squachumz

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 pm

Squach wrote:ITS MY BIRTHDAY TOMMOROW!!! I WILL BE TWELVE (FINALLY!!!) afro

No, I havn't had some of mum's buckie. I think. scratch I am just really excited for my birthday!! Me and mum made an awesome cake today and it has purple icing on the top! (Red food colouring + Blue food colouring = purple icing. Purple icing = my favourite colour!)
You had better all wish me a happy birthday tommorow or... I don't know, you will just ruin my whole birthday! AND put me in a crabbit mood beyond belief as well! (Need a smilie with arms folded and a pouty face!) Gonna try and wake up really early so i can open prezzies!

Night!
Squachumz

Just in case I don't pop along on Monday (I'm a busy dwarf- don't want to let things slip over my head) I wish you an very happy birthday! Sounds like a splendid cake, let's hope it tastes as great as it sounds!
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:23 am

Thanks! The only downside is that I have to go to school today. Mad Honestly. School on your birthday. Rolling Eyes

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:11 am

Happy birthday, have a great day at school. cat

Brian Boru
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Happy birthday, Squach Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Happy birthday, Squach! I remember being 12, I was very excited, especially since it's my favourite number. Very Happy Hope you had/have an awesome day!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:35 am

I wonder if Peter Jackson will include elements of the Scouring at the end of the second Hobbit Movie?

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:04 am

why would he do that. that has nothing to do with the hobbit. oh.. wait...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:18 am

lol!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

The Scouring of the Shire: Should it have been in the Film? - Page 4 Empty The scouring of the shire

Post by leelee Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:13 am

Saradoc wrote:Hope you don't mind me going off at a slight tangent here, but I think PJ did have valid reasons for leaving the Scouring out. Firstly, is the widely varing demographic of cinema-goers. It's all right for fanmade films- we know only LOTR fans are going to watch it. But I'd say there would be a fair amount of people who would see ROTK without seeing the other two. Like people see Harry Potter films without seeing most of them. They wouldn't know what the Shire was, and for them it would certainly be very anti-dramatic because they don't know Tolkien, haven't read the books.

Apolgies if this view has already been made before on the thread, but its just how I see it.

I have often thought about the scouring but i too felt that the majority of viewing folk would not appreciate what was going on so why bother.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 am

Scouring could have worked brilliantly, but it would have to have been written for, Otho and the Sackville's would have to have featured in the begining, and more made of Saruman having pipeweed from the Shire and the meeting with him and Wormtongue on the way home.
It couldn't just be tacked onto the current films but if it had been planned for I see no reason it could not have been very effective and supplied a more satisfying conclusion to the hobbit characters stories.

And great to see you back again Leelee, Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:16 am

I really don't think the scouring would have worked well in the three movie format. The climax was past, you have to wind it down, not have a whole mini-story tacked onto the end. It's really a matter of timing: would have been okay if the movie was split after the fall of Mordor: then the last movie would be the marriages, the journey home, the last battle, and the grey havens.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:59 am

I reckon if it was written for from the outset and was part of it you could do it.
You sow the seeds at the start with Lotho and Ted instead of Merry/Pippin firework stealing, use Sams glimpse in the palantir to set up Lotho a bit more, insert a small bit when they confront Saruman: he makes allusing to the hobbits homeland in a sinsiter fashion, include more of Sams mentions of his gaffer and his store of names for Sam to remind the viewer more of the Shire throughout, and it would be a natural finish to the films and the hobbits tale, as well giving Saruman and Wormtongue a proper send off.

(And if you move everything from PJ's Rotk back where it belongs into TT, RotK EE edit is only two and a half hours long instead of over 4, so plenty time)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4