Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies!

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies! Empty Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies!

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 am

{{ Maybe we should have a fundraiser for him to get a new laptop or something}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies! Empty Re: Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies!

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Unfortunately it's not just the laptop, though that's part of it. Some of his message:

"Yes, I'm suffering from both old computer problems and new connectivity problems. They "upgraded" our wifi signal a few months ago from 3G (3-4 bars) to LTE (0-1 bar) which combines the speed of a dial-up connection with the inconvenience of a bad rural cell phone connection, cutting in and out at random, particularly when it's raining....and I'm sure you know what that means on the Washington coast... :X {{{looking for the crabbit emoji}}} "

Though I'm sure a new laptop would help.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies! Empty Re: Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies!

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 17, 2021 4:13 pm

I would be cool with chipping in, but I wouldn't want to seem patronising.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 4:24 pm

I don't know if he has any software he cares about. We'd likely be buying him a cheapo, which may work fine for him.

If worded right, it wouldn't seem patronizing. Something along the line that we are put out with him not being here, and are threatening to take up a small collection to force his hand into an upgrade. Worded like that he might refuse the money, but it would seem less patronizing.

His ailing mother has moved in, so he's also got less time.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 5:49 pm

{{ Wouldnt want him to feel partronised, just missed as he is. And doesnt have to be anything fancy or expensive if the main purpose is just to allow him internet and online access- I figured like a lenovo tablet about the £100 mark - and prob can be found for notably cheaper US side. More than likely the equivelent of about £20 quid each would cover it for those who can afford to chip in (would have to be at end of month for me).}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 6:02 pm

I find tablets to be especially annoying - can't do what you want with them, like browsing forumshire while in a zoom meeting: at least not with two screens going at once. But if it's only for getting on forumshire it might serve.

If done that way, best to just send it directly to him with a note from forumshire saying we miss him.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 pm

{{ If you get a chance Halfy have a nosey about online stateside, see whats appropriate and available and will do the job, as if we are just going to send it to him- which I think is a nice idea- then makes sense to order it within the US }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 pm

yeah, the cheapest lenovo tablet is $100.  We can probably figure out his address from google maps.  I suppose we'd do donations via paypal?

Edit: actually all the cheap models are wifi connection. I'm not sure what he uses, he says his local service has gone from 3G to LTE, which sounds like cell phone connectivity.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 pm

{{ Why is internet coverage so bad in the US. As the worlds richest nation and one of the only remaining superpowers you'd think you'd be at least able to get online in the US with a decent speed Mad
I have no idea how to do online payments except to big store sites like Amazon, but guess can set up paypal or somethiing similar easy enough.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 pm

I'm in!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 pm

Have to solve the connectivity issue. Petty: the USA is not only one of the richest countries, but one of the most spread out. I wouldn't say Dave is in the equivalent of Siberia, but there's not much incentive to extend communications to where he is.

I will make discreet inquiries to how exactly he connects. He doesn't have a cell phone so he's not using it as a wifi hotspot. If he has some cell hub that plugs in with an ethernet cable then we are pretty much stuck. I see it as very likely his computer is so old that it's what he's doing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 17, 2021 10:19 pm

I think Paypal would be the easiest and makes sense for someone in the States to send it to him or order it there. I am happy to send the money wherever necessary. Don't know how to coordinate the Paypal thing though. I can send 100 Euros/or Pounds.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 10:23 pm

Once we have

a) confirmation that a cheapy wifi connection will work for Dave
b) number of pledges

I'll divide $100 by the pledges and make things happen. I'd rather it just arrive on Dave's doorstep rather than letting him know what we're up to.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 10:27 pm

{{{ Not sure I buy the US is huge excuse, why cant it be broken down and done at state level? State by state. Sounds more like a lack of will to do anything about it. And for what I can tell looking it up, alack of govt funding to makeit happen.
Scotland might not be huge but a lot of it is bloody difficult to get to and a long way from any cities or major hubs. The land is pretty unforgiving for infrastructure what with the Highlands, lochs and all everywhere. And so expensive for private companies to pay for all the necessary infrastructure for what is often small pockets of potential customers. And we have a ton of island communitites, some as small as 10-20 families.
But the Scottish govt believing connectivity in the modern world was essential for individuals and especially for businesses made it a priority, especially in rural areas, and woorking with the UK govt and ofcom they funded various schemes in public/private deals, as such currently were at 92% of homes have superhigh speed broadband with the remainder just having normal speeds.
Where we still struggle is 4g, with about 20% of the country having poor coverage or a very limited choice of operator.
I believe Norway is about simialr levels of access with a similarly difficult landscape to overcome. Though I dont know if their govt helped fund that too or if it was all private companies. I'm sure the Fjordians can clarify that point for us.

Halfy- sounds like a plan. Nod }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 10:49 pm

20% of the country having poor or slow coverage, that sounds like the US. You've got to remember, Dave is out there.

I'm trying to narrow down his house to one of 4 along cranberry bogs in North Cove, WA. Fortunately there's a lot of coverage of him in the last few years.
You can find a picture of him with his girlfriend in this article, but though I'm sure that's his bog I fear the house in the background may not be his. But if I can pick that out on a map I may have him narrowed down to one of 2 houses. https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/washaway-beach-the-story-of-a-community-that-stood-together-and-refused-to-be-swept-out-to-sea/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 10:54 pm

{{ Thats 20% with normal coverage here, just not superfast coverage via fibre optic. Poor Dave seems to have to next to no coverage at all.

Going on previous things he has said about his area I think if we can get his name on it and get to one of those houses in the immediate area it'll get given to him, they seem to be close community who all know each other. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 11:01 pm

The problem is most shipping companies will reject an address that's missing information.  So we need a definite address.  Maybe find a country store.

I thought I had a match to the buildings in the background, but the photo shows trees behind those houses at the top right, and the map shows wide fields beyond.  (yes, I have better things I should certainly be doing).

Shire Nutritional Agency demands: Secure the delivery of rude veggies! Screen55

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 11:08 pm

{{ Yeah he did say he used to go into town to use internet in past, so maybe there is a store there does deliveries and pickups for locals. I know we have some here do that. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 17, 2021 11:13 pm

I found the address of "The Local Store". There are no other businesses I can find that are closer, and they are sure to know him.

I'm tempted to send it to the airport outside Grayland (just slightly north of North Cove). If you want a laugh, look it up to find the name of the airport - I don't want to ruin the discovery. I think I like these people.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 17, 2021 11:18 pm

{{ Thats either very optimistic, or their arrivals lounge must be a very interesting place! Laughing }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 18, 2021 12:13 am

let me know when things are set to go and I will follow instructions, for any addresses (and paypal stuff) for Dave maybe we should PM each other rather than putting it on the interwebz, he may not be cool with his exact address being here.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 am

{{ Think what we'll do Figg is let Halfy handle the purchasing and sending of it, and we will all just chip into a paypal or some such and send the money to cover costs to Halfy. That way no addresses on here. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 18, 2021 1:58 am

yep, that's the plan. Just waiting to see if anyone else will chip in. We're sending it to The Local Store in any case, I think they wouldn't mind the advertising.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 18, 2021 2:04 am

{{ Be the 29th before I get paid. So need to be end of month for me. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 18, 2021 3:24 pm

I can do it whenever you want.

maybe it would be a good idea to do another thread specifically for Dave, (which can be deleted later if necessary), rather than bury it here where other members wont necessarily look. "Maintenance scheduled today" is a bit obscure and boring. Maybe we can call it "Daves Palantir" or something, it would attract more looks than here I reckon. What do you think?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next