azriel
Forest Shepherd
Lancebloke
bungobaggins
Eldorion
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Good to know we are holding steady-ish at no2 Eldo cheers

I take full responsibility for January- had the Awards gone ahead as planned that would have been a significant boost to posts for that month.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014

Post by Eldorion Sun May 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Well everyone slowed down in the aftermath of BOFA, but I think we slowed a little quicker than most due to the general lack of interest in the final film on here. But with the hype wave past (and never coming back ... still not sure how I feel about that Sad) our advantages have come into play again.

But I do hope we can finish the awards eventually. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun May 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Hears to Number 2 pub

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 03, 2015 11:08 pm

to be honest I haven't really noticed the lack of Hobbit related news, it was always just part of the whole not all of the hole if you get my drift.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun May 03, 2015 11:41 pm

We're number two! We're number two! Very Happy Laughing Moon

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun May 03, 2015 11:45 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:to be honest I haven't really noticed the lack of Hobbit related news, it was always just part of the whole not all of the hole if you get my drift.

I love what it says when you Google the forum: "free spirits..."

That's what we are, and with many varied interests and talents. The only hobbit related news we'll be getting in the future is the BOFA EE, after that it's pretty much nothing. But it's clear that we don't need the movies to keep going.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 am

Heh, I remember writing that description for the forum when I first set it up.  I've thought about altering it a couple times over the years to perhaps offer a more detailed description of the forum, but I do like it.  I threw in the "free spirits" thing to try to emphasize our goals in breaking away from the Dark Planet, but in the aftermath of those events we really doubled down on the freewheeling style of forum that we'd already started to become. In some ways, I think that being the #2 forum is actually what we're best suited for, since it allows to continue to be an "alternative" forum, and keeps the tight community central to the forum's identity.

I'm still not 100% sure what to make of the fact that BOFA-EE is probably the last substantial Tolkien movie release we will see for years, possibly decades.  It sucks even more that there have been no major Tolkien book releases since 2007 either.  The future of Tolkienalia is much bleaker than it was in the immediate aftermath of the LOTR films.  I'm glad that we have other things that keep this community strong, but I do hope that we find ways of keeping Tolkien discussions a part of our forum.  But it can be a challenge to keep those debates fresh after a certain point.

In any event, back when it was unclear if The Hobbit would even be made (due to MGM's bankruptcy, the Estate's lawsuit, GDT's departure, and all that) I said that I'd be grateful for this forum's existence no matter what came of the film project.  I am glad that the films were made, despite my disappointments with the finished project; it's better having to wonder what PJ might have done for the rest of our lives.  I consider myself immensely fortunate to have been able to experience the films with you guys and to have gotten to run this forum through the hype period.  I entered the fandom during a relative slow period and I sometimes used to daydream about being around for the excitement of new movies and getting to run a big forum.  I still can't believe that my fantasies from when I was 15 actually came true.  Now we're in a period more like when I was first joining the fandom, although obviously all of us have changed in the intervening years.  But I think this forum has remained remarkably close-knit even at the height of its activity, so I'm reasonably optimistic about its future.  And I'm very grateful to have a site that feels like home to keep coming back to. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon May 04, 2015 8:43 am

Be it ever so humble, there ain't no other place like it, ol' lad. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 04, 2015 11:55 am

Oh dear Sad  I nearly choked on me HobNobs, You do say the nicest things Eldo. We are a happy little bunch, do you not think Kissing

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon May 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Very well put, Eldo, this is my Internet equivalent of home Very Happy As to keeping Tolkien discussions fresh - I've always liked the idea of book clubs, but I've never joined one. I'd be up for a chapter-by-chapter discussion if anyone else is keen on a reread sometime. Perhaps we could add another dimension to it, and discuss how a particular chapter turned out in the films. Perhaps a bad idea for TH, but could be fun with LotR where there's more to discuss and opinions are more varied. Just a suggestion that might help rekindle the LotR section, let me know if anyone's up for it Smile

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Much as I despise the typical book club, where people sit in a circle with tea and try to politely discuss a book they've all read like some goddam confessional support group - I think the idea works fine on an internet forum.

I'd be all up for a chapter by chapter discussion of LotR. People put in what struck them about each chapter, maybe one per week?

I'd suggest starting with "concerning Hobbits", which is a good contender for my favorite chapter (and I think the movies did an ok job with it).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 04, 2015 3:48 pm

You've always put things much better than I could Eldo, I agree with (almost) everything you said, Forumshire is a wonderful little place  Smile  :hug:

The future of Tolkienalia is much bleaker than it was in the immediate aftermath of the LOTR films

I don't know about that, the Tolkien Estate has always maintained a respectful distance from the movies and videogames, and since Children of Hurin there has been quite a lot of new material published (though with the exception of Beowulf none of it probably qualifies as major) ignoring the films, his literary legacy seems safe enough for the immediate future.

It's certainly going to be quieter, but Tolkien is cemented in popular culture even more so than he was ten years ago, I don't think the fandom will fade anytime soon, though in the absence of new films some of the websites might have to reevaluate themselves...

*Though we still have the planned biopics to look forward to...

I'd certainly be interested in a chapter by chapter discussion of LOTR (or even the H.O.M.E) could keep us busy for quiet a while Smile

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 04, 2015 4:11 pm

And I dont think its hurt Tolkien in any way that he gets the odd mention in TV drama's etc, like "Lewis". Ive heard his name & the other 'Inklings' mentioned because its set in Oxford I guess. Still, repeating his name occasionally keeps it fresh in the reader, or would be readers, mind so, not a bad thing Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 04, 2015 6:16 pm

theres certainly always a place here for the intensity of discussion about all things Tolkien we used to have over in Bree. Very Happy grass length included. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 04, 2015 6:28 pm

And the real meaning of "grey" Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 04, 2015 6:42 pm

malickfan wrote:
I'd certainly be interested in a chapter by chapter discussion of LOTR (or even the H.O.M.E) could keep us busy for quiet a while Smile

I've never read H.O.M.E., but if enough people have I'd be interested in watching it get dissected. I rather suspect only 3 or 4 people on here own the full set though.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 05, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks for the kind words, all. Embarassed Smile It means a lot to me. I'm encouraged by people's interest in the idea of a group re-read, though I've had bad experiences with those before on other forums where interest wanes over the course of reading a book in small chunks for weeks or months and the thread ends up dying. But with a little bit of structure it might provide a fun topic of conversation.

I like Ringo's idea about touching on adaptation decisions, though that could potentially be its own thread since such debates might overwhelm a "book club" topic. But I feel like it would be interesting to revisit that the matter of LOTR's adaptation. Most of us are on the same page with TH and it's just not that rewarding to keep finding new ways of saying "this was a huge disappointment". But there's a greater range of opinions about LOTR and, for me at least, it's a topic I haven't written at length about for a couple years, and I know my opinions on other issues have changed in that time.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 05, 2015 1:12 am

malickfan wrote:I don't know about that, the Tolkien Estate has always maintained a respectful distance from the movies and videogames, and since Children of Hurin there has been quite a lot of new material published (though with the exception of Beowulf none of it probably qualifies as major) ignoring the films, his literary legacy seems safe enough for the immediate future.

You're absolutely right, and I'm glad you called me on that.  Beowulf, the The Fall of Arthur, and Sigurd and Gudrun are certainly all worthwhile additions to Tolkien's published bibliography.  I was thinking strictly of his Middle-earth works and misspoke, though.  We have gotten stuff like The Art of The Hobbit and the forthcoming artbook for LOTR, and there's still a steady stream of scholarship through Tolkien Studies and elsewhere.  But with all due respect to to the scholars who have worked on these projects, I don't think we've seen any major new additions to the published legendarium in the past 7-8 years, and excitement over this stuff is mostly limited to the hardcore of the academically-oriented part of fandom.

It's certainly going to be quieter, but Tolkien is cemented in popular culture even more so than he was ten years ago, I don't think the fandom will fade anytime soon, though in the absence of new films some of the websites might have to reevaluate themselves...

I agree that Tolkien's work and status isn't going anywhere, and new fans (especially young people) will continue to discover his work for the foreseeable future.  Part of the reason I worry (other than my personality Rolling Eyes) is the experience of the Harry Potter fandom, which I've been only peripherally involved in over the years (I was most into HP before I really started exploring the Net), but that has seen some tough times in the years since the books ended, and especially once there were no new movies either.  But there are certainly still HP forums around, and you can't necessarily make one-to-one comparison between fandoms in any event.

*Though we still have the planned biopics to look forward to...

I had actually forgotten about those. Laughing I wonder how many of them will actually be made.  Anyway, I still think we're going to see a spin-off/extended universe movie (or maybe even a TV show) based on PJ's LOTR films before a decade has passed, but part of me hopes to be proven wrong on this.

NB thanks as always for engaging me on my big rambly posts and giving me an excuse to talk even more about some of my more obscure interests, especially forum stuff. :hug:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 am

I'm all for a read through- maybe do a chapter a time then also folks that want to can also watch the relevant section in PJ's film, or Bakshi, or the BBC radio version- and discuss how they have gone about adapting that material.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 05, 2015 12:04 pm

*the sound of loins being girded*
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Don't start without me Figg- I've drooped mine and now it needs re-girded all over again Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 05, 2015 1:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I'm all for a read through- maybe do a chapter a time then also folks that want to can also watch the relevant section in PJ's film, or Bakshi, or the BBC radio version- and discuss how they have gone about adapting that material.

I'd prefer we leave PJ and Bakshi out of it. Or put it in a separate accompanying thread. I've really had enough of those two.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Not to be overly ambitious here but I agree with Halfy that I think I'd prefer to have two separate threads for this.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 05, 2015 2:43 pm

Cowards the lot of yi!! Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue May 05, 2015 4:40 pm

Petty, sweety, how much contained anger do you think people can hold back on ? We're all gonna be sectioned, gibbering nutcases if you put both threads together, Laughing Rolling Eyes

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next