Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:29 pm

hungry now. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Empty Re: BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Make your own Beorn cake! All you need do it keep on eye on it to keep it from burning, but other than that just dump in what seems right and off you go - we don't know exactly what it's supposed to be anyway.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 pm

If you can, I suggest getting your hands on some honey from German Black bees or another of the Northern European strains. Their honey is dark and molasses-like with lots of flavor, unlike most of our commercial honey which comes from hybrid Italian bees.  It's like the difference between Guinness and Budweiser. Nod

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Oh! I likely could around here. Got all sorts of hoity-toity stores that would have flights of honey. Gotta finish off my first round of Beorn cake, though.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:04 am

Wooh, I just finished two lemon meringue pies and an orange chiffon* cake. The Beorn Cake will have to wait!

Perhaps re-reading the appropriate passages will work as inspiration.

*blech, grated too much orange peel. I really despise orange peel anyway, I should have just ignored that part of it.  Banghead

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:48 pm

You can get dark and bold flavored honey depending upon the source (buckwheat, for instance), not the bee. The time of year can be a factor too, for example.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 pm

He's called a Shapeshifter, but do we actually have any evidence he can shift into different animals (or shapes) as well as his bear form?  Suspect  he's basically a Werebear

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm

That sounds cute Smile    werebear  Smile

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Werebe10

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Gandalf called him a skin changer, not a shape shifter. That should put your mind at ease.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm

halfwise wrote:Gandalf called him a skin changer, not a shape shifter.  That should put your mind at ease.

Ah, yes I remember now.

(Caught a bit of DOS on TV the other day so I still has the Jacksonisms in my head)

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 pm

Elthir wrote:You can get dark and bold flavored honey depending upon the source (buckwheat, for instance), not the bee. The time of year can be a factor too, for example.

In my experience, the Italian hybrid bees that most apiaries in the US seem to prefer as "honey bees" have quite different habits than their northern European cousins. For one thing they don't like to fly at temperatures below 70F(20C) which limits their usefulness in our cold coastal cranberry climate.

For this reason some of our local bee keepers have been importing queens from Germany. These hives start working at 55-60F (12-15C) which is much better for our climate (we rent 50 to 100 hives each spring for pollination.)

What's more, the fair-weather bees will travel a half mile or more to find choice pollens and nectars like fireweed, blackberry and clover, flying right past the cranberry blossoms and other local wildflowers to get there  Suspect .

The cool-weather strains on the other hand seem to forage as close to home as possible and to bring home a much more diverse selection of pollen and nectar from every little blossom they come across. They're much more effective pollinators for us! Cheerleader {{of course the bumblebees are even better pollinators by far, but give no honey at all  Shrugging }}

The honey from two adjacent hives of different varieties will be completely different here. That's what I was referring to.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:03 am

hmm...are there travelling bumblebee pollination rigs like there are for honeybees? I guess they don't hive the same, and even if they did nobody would want to mess with the big buggers.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 am

halfwise wrote:hmm...are there travelling bumblebee pollination rigs like there are for honeybees?

No, but they're commercially bred and sold as colonies in special cardboard box "hives". Once on site they'll abandon the box and find a new location to nest in someplace easy to burrow (grass hummocks, brush piles etc.)

However new rules require that only native varieties can be sold, and then only in their native region. There are breeders who sell the east-of-the-Rockies varieties which we're not allowed to import, but nobody is currently breeding the west coast varieties.

It's not a problem though since we've got lot's of good bee habitat and forage for them around the perimeters of the bogs. We probably host at least a dozen native varieties. I love the sound of them! I love watching them work. Always have! Very Happy  
BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53
BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Animated_gif_bees_53

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Why do you say bumblebees are better pollinators? I'd think with fewer of them (perhaps a wrong perception on my part) they'd do less.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Generally speaking, with respect to efficient pollination and bumblebees, some things to consider...

... large size and especially furry coats (pollen pick up and transfer), long seasons (including activity at relatively low temperatures and "low light" levels), wind and drizzle work included in job portfolio, "buzz pollination" enables efficient pollination of stuff... including cranberries, fast pollinators...
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Ah, it's making sense now. Big Bubba can get as much work done as any 20 of those cute little European snowflakes.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Exactly! The bumblers have saved many a crop for us when the weather hasn't cooperated during mid bloom, just by going out and getting the job done when the honeybees won't go outside. You can tell the type and volume of pollen a bee collects by observing the blobs on their legs (pollen sacks). Cranberry pollen has a particular tan color, so you can tell which bee is working for you and which is more interested in side jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm enjoying this talk of bees!

Malickfan wrote:He's called a Shapeshifter, but do we actually have any evidence he can shift into different animals (or shapes) as well as his bear form?  BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Suspect  he's basically a Werebear

Werebear?  scratch

THERE bear!  affraid

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 UJpDi

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Oh I love that pic of that powerful bear ! I'm snatching that one !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:10 pm

{{You'll have to beat Dave too it I suspect Smile }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Smile I keep my favourite pics in a folder, I like my cat eyes. But talking of eyes, look at the intensity of this bear's eyebogglers ! pale he means business.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 pm

That is an amazing Bear pic!

Here's a bee!

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Bumblebee

I'm glad, at least, that Jackson did not take Tolkien's "giant" bees and turn that description into Dwarves riding them through Mirkwood, for example... or is that in the extended edition?
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:I'm enjoying this talk of bees!

Malickfan wrote:He's called a Shapeshifter, but do we actually have any evidence he can shift into different animals (or shapes) as well as his bear form?  BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 Suspect  he's basically a Werebear

Werebear?  scratch

THERE bear!  affraid

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 4 UJpDi

That photographer is either nuts, or very brave, or both...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:10 pm

{{Elthir!  cheers Was starting to think we were going to have to rent the Tower of Lore out to tramps or something worse, like Bankses No - good to see the ravens flying again Nod But best not give PJ ideas for his ten year anniversary super cut with added 'cool stuff' he probably has planned Evil or Very Mad  Actually given the invention of the giant rabbits I am surprised he didn't make giant rideable bees, and seas of honey someone (probably bloody Legolamb) could surf down whilst two highly improbable stunt filled completely conflicting battles happen simultaneously around them Mad  }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Laughing

Clearly you missed the EE scene of Beorn's appearance at the Battle of the Five Armies, when instead of a giant eagle he rides in on one of his queen bees!

I remember it clearly because a splat of unfinished royal jelly falls from the bee and lands in Alfrid's cleavage. There's a 10-minute scene involving Alfrid getting stuck by his boobs to various catapults, troll's clubs, falling boulders, and runaway carts.  Very Happy

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum