Post by halfwise Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Then he has to make another one. :drum:

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 Empty Re: BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:33 am

Hm... one minute.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:50 am

It's been more than a minute! bounce

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:00 am

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 32333480530_c4d9d47a7c_z

Mine came out kind of spongey, but interesting in a lemony-honey-grainey sort of way. 

Here's the recipe {{{Don't tell the Copyrightists!}}}:

Beorn's Honey Nut Cake
by Maureen Bayha and Alida Becker.

Put 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese through a strainer. Mix the strained cottage cheese with 1 1/2 tablespoons of sifted flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 3 tablespoons of sour cream, 3 beaten egg yolks, 3/4 cup of honey, 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, the rind of 1 lemon, and 1/2 cup of wheat germ. 
Fold in 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten.
Butter a 9-inch-square cake pan. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with 1/8 cup of wheat germ. Pour the batter into the pan and top with 1/8 cup of wheat germ and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts. Bake in a pre-heated 375-degree oven for 30 minutes.

My only comment is that less honey will do and not to zest too much of the lemon rind in. It is what it is.

I've seen other recipes out there like this one that go for a more standard sort of "cake":

http://www.feastofstarlight.com/2015/04/01/the-hobbit-inspired-beorns-honey-cakes/

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:07 am

Very Happy

Interesting recipe: the flour is really just a binder. I'm thinking the wet ingredients (other than the egg whites) can be put through a food processor - that's the real reason behind "straining" the cottage cheese, to break it up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:55 am

I put the whole cheese curds in, not the strained stuff. I think that was right.  Shrugging

I mean, the cottage cheese wasn't broken up at all, I separated the little curds of it from the runny part, the "whey" (it's not really whey, but close enough). The curds went into the recipe. The runny part of the cottage cheese went into the dogs' food bowls.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:22 am

The way I read it, "cottage cheese put through a strainer" rather than "strain the cottage cheese" means you were supposed to push it through. If I'm right, the only reason was to break up the curds. I'll try it some time. I think a dash of cinnamon (though likely exotic for such a location) is called for.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:47 am

Interesting. If you make it, please post with picture and your thoughts.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:02 am

It looks very good. Yum! Smile

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Interesting. If you make it, please post with picture and your thoughts.

I'll have to buy some wheat germ, I may already have all the other ingredients (though my lemon is rather dried out, that will need to be replaced). I'll make a batch sometime in the next few days. And I'll remember to tone down the lemon rind as you recommended.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:34 pm

that looks fab. Razz

its a pity I cant cook otherwise I would have a go.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:20 pm

just follow the directions. It's like putting together Ikea furniture.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Yeah & you know how that ends Smile a plank of wood & 3 screws that don't belong anywhere Smile
Actually Forest you make that cakey look very nice ! Smile If I did have a go ( & IM with you here Figgs Smile I really cant befriend the kitchen,) Id also donk in some fruits Smile

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 am

Cooking is one of life's better pleasures...second, of course, to eating. Very Happy

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:49 pm

halfwise wrote:just follow the directions.  It's like putting together Ikea furniture.

Ironically why do I get the feeling this is how Jackson schooled the art designs for the Hobbit ''I want Beorn to resemble an 80's Sonic The Hedgehog, and Radagast to be covered in shit, what could wrong?'' Twisted Evil

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 pm

malickfan wrote:Ironically why do I get the feeling this is how Jackson schooled the art designs for the Hobbit ''I want Beorn to resemble an 80's Sonic The Hedgehog, and Radagast to be covered in shit, what could wrong?'' Twisted Evil

Gotta go fast

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 W0CpEOg
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Eldorion wrote:
malickfan wrote:Ironically why do I get the feeling this is how Jackson schooled the art designs for the Hobbit ''I want Beorn to resemble an 80's Sonic The Hedgehog, and Radagast to be covered in shit, what could wrong?'' Twisted Evil

Gotta go fast

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 W0CpEOg

That's still one of my favourite scenes in DOS Laughing

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:36 pm

One of the few highlights. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Its the worst Fat suit Ive ever seen !! The design team or the dresser's couldn't be bothered to do a half decent job with that one, its so overly obvious. A child in a school nativity could have dressed & carried a costume off a 1000 times better than that cheap, seaside, £1 a go outfit Mad

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:25 pm

That was definitely my favorite of the Bombur fat jokes in the trilogy and one of the more memorable parts of DOS (especially the first half).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:38 am

Okay, so I made my "Beorn" cake.

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 Beorn10

Didn't really measure anything since that's not the way I roll, but I didn't have quite enough cottage cheese.  A bit short on honey so subbed in some maple syrup.  Threw everything in the food processor, except for the egg whites of course.  Forgot how much work that is, even with electricity.  Somehow I don't think Beorn would be the type of bloke to sit around for 20 minutes beating eggwhites with a fork.

I agree with Forest there wasn't enough honey and far too much lemon.  In fact I'd dispense with the lemon altogether and increase the honey if you want to taste it.  But this wasn't what I'd expect of a Beorn cake anyway: too spongy with beaten egg whites.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Still looks tasty Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:11 am

halfwise wrote:Okay, so I made my "Beorn" cake.

BEORN THE SHAPE SHIFTER - Page 3 Beorn10

Didn't really measure anything since that's not the way I roll, but I didn't have quite enough cottage cheese.  A bit short on honey so subbed in some maple syrup.  Threw everything in the food processor, except for the egg whites of course.  Forgot how much work that is, even with electricity. Somehow I don't think Beorn would be the type of bloke to sit around for 20 minutes beating eggwhites with a fork.

I agree with Forest there wasn't enough honey and far too much lemon.  In fact I'd dispense with the lemon altogether and increase the honey if you want to taste it.  But this wasn't what I'd expect of a Beorn cake anyway: too spongy with beaten egg whites.
Thanks for sharing! cheers

Halfwise wrote: Somehow I don't think Beorn would be the type of bloke to sit around for 20 minutes beating eggwhites with a fork.
He probably used a whisk instead. It couldn't have taken him too long with those bear-like forearms!

It is too spongey isn't it? When I think of Beorn's cakes I imagine something more like hot cornbread with honey on it. We must experiment with something else.

I agree there is too much lemon, but what I had said was that there was too much honey for my liking. Perhaps you baked yours more thoroughly and that took some of the sweetness away?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 am

I think I just had less honey.

But hey, I like the challenge of creating our own Beorn cakes! We may have different takes: I'm thinking more of something that could be packed for travel. A texture halfway between a fruitcake and a nilla wafer. I approve of the wheat germ, but it needs more bite to it. We shall have to experiment.

And only appropriate techniques and ingredients, though I'd accept corn meal. I'm thinking some graham flour is called for. Perhaps a slight bit of yeast rising, but not too much. Baking powder is out, stiff egg white peaks are out (though soft peaks are acceptable). Though given that this is Beorn, I agree he probably wouldn't agree with eggs. Cream, yes.

I wonder if too much honey will kill yeast?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum