Amarië
David H
azriel
17 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [9] - Page 4 Empty Re: Doctor Who [9]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 pm

When they show up in a series is for the showrunner of course, but no matter who was running the show thee would be a Dalek episode either way.

The word on the Who street is that episode 3 Listen is the one to watch.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Followed by Touch and Lick?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes I believe so, Stroke and Grip comes after that.
Personally I found it rather inappropriate when I heard that the show would receive a similar maturity rating to last season's Game of Thrones, but I suppose that's for Moffat to decide if he wants to produce that sort of thing.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 pm

I agree with Bungo. The episode was tired. Seen it done it lets move on.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I have no idea where you heard that Forest- wasnt the Daily Mail was it? Suspect
There will not be nudity or explicit gory violence in Who- its aimed at exactly the same broad children to grandparents audience it always was.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Watching the first ten minutes or so, the thought that I couldn't escape was: "Did I miss an episode?" Well, no, I saw the Christmas special last year. Everything felt disjointed. And hadn't they done that "companion-doesn't-trust-the-new-doctor" bit with Rose and 10?

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:16 pm

I felt like that for a few mins at the beginging but, I latched on to Capaldis character & that carried me alone & I decided to go with whatever was thrown at me because I just knew it would turn out alright. Dr Who has been going for all the years Ive been alive, I cant entertain the idea that such an iconic UK show would simply churn out dribbling shat. Having said that I would like to see Dr Who get away from Earth & for us to see new worlds & aliens. I do feel Victoriana is wearing thin now tho.

Doctor Who [9] - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [9] - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:41 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Watching the first ten minutes or so, the thought that I couldn't escape was: "Did I miss an episode?" Well, no, I saw the Christmas special last year. Everything felt disjointed. And hadn't they done that "companion-doesn't-trust-the-new-doctor" bit with Rose and 10?

well I suppose it is a bit shocking if the person you thought you knew suddenly changed their body Very Happy but this is definately the most an assistant has moaned about her new guy. I agree with you the episode felt disjointed, the episode kind of jumped out of nowhere, and the first 5 minutes were tedious flapping about. It only really got interesting in the restaurant onwards.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Everything felt disjointed.- Bungo

I didn't find it disjointed at all.
Last we saw the TARDIS was crashing the Doctor couldn't remember how to fly it.
Next we see the TARDIS being coughed up by a giant dinosaur, later Clara tells Vastra everything was exploding, the TARDIS was haywire and they got swallowed by a dino. Perfect Who logic there if you ask me.

'hadn't they done that "companion-doesn't-trust-the-new-doctor" bit with Rose and 10?'

Not at any depth I wouldnt say. This was quite different, settling in a very different sort of Doctor, more classic than Nu, to an audience whose younger members only know Nu. I think it was worth exploring.

'It only really got interesting in the restaurant onwards.'- Figg

When I watched it first time through it was not until the tramp scene I felt I was getting a handle on it and starting to enjoy it.
Subsequent viewings there is a lot of stuff before that I do like, particularly him translating the dinosaurs pain and loneliness, the speech at the bridge lamenting the dinos death and then onto the tramp scene. All great scenes and great Doctor stuff.
I liked they gave it time with the characters and it wasn't all bang wallop.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:07 am

bungobaggins wrote: Everything felt disjointed. And hadn't they done that "companion-doesn't-trust-the-new-doctor" bit with Rose and 10?

I watched the episode a second time, and definitely enjoyed it more (7/10 in my book) but yeah, it is rather disjointed, even by the standards of regeneration episodes (though I'm genuinely confused as to how people can prefer Tennant's first episode...doesn't Tennant spent most of the episode lying down expelling gas er regeneration energy before wrestling a christmas tree? scratch my 12 year old self wasn't very impressed as far as I can remember, I'm not even sure if I've watched it since) Moffat didn't seem to nail a tone until the restaurant scene, most of the humour was forced, the dinosaur stuff was stupid and the 'wow didn't notice they are' lesbians were irritating and amusing in equal measure, and although I definitely appreciated the breahting room, on rewatch it still seemed ten minutes too long for such a simple story (one of the more surprising critism I've read, is an apparent lack of faifth in Capaldi's age on Moffat's part, i.e the age thing was too hammered home, I kinda see where this is coming from (surely Clara should be a bit more prepared for this-she is the only companion to see the oldest looking Doctor of them all) as I never saw it as a massive deal, but then again I'm not 10)

that said the no man was even creepier on second watch, I liked the slightly off kilter direction from Ben Wheately, Capaldi shows every sign of being a brilliant Doctor (I'm gettting a definite Hartnell vibe...as he remains my fave portrayal so far, I'm very excited...) a messy story to be sure, but very well acted, lots of great dialogue (The Restaurant and Alley Way scenes are amongst the best I've ever scene in Who) and very entertaining if you aren't expecting too much.

On the other hand, if you look deeper, there some interesting things to take note of:

(I don't actually agree with everything written in these articles, but do generally find the content on these sites, well written and thought provoking

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/31836/doctor-who-deep-breath-identity-and-furious-mirrors

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/deep-breath/31857/doctor-who-deep-breaths-references-and-callbacks

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/deep-breath-the-very-best-of-clara-oswald-66022.htm

(I should point out that I skipped Season 6 entirely and caught only a few eps of Season 7 (I'll get round to catching up eventually) but I like Clara alot, she's a thinly sketched character next to some other companions (though the vast bulk of the those I've seen qualify as this anyway) but unlike Rose I don't find her extremely annoying, personal taste I guess.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/addressing-the-deep-breath-kiss-65986.htm

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/sciencey-wiencey-deep-breath-65963.htm

(I don't have a strong opinion on this one way or the other).

And a Into the Dalek review as well ('Dalek' and 'The Waters of Mars' are two of my fave Who eps, so this sounds promising) Plus some extended Clips and Promo shots:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Into%20The%20Dalek

(Really, really lking the way Capaldi delivers that 'Am I a Good Man?' speech) Nod

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:08 am

Another Into The Dalek review:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/31821/doctor-who-series-8-into-the-dalek-spoiler-free-review

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:14 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:30 am

malickfan wrote:and the 'wow didn't notice they are' lesbians  were irritating and amusing in equal measure

More irritating than amusing for me. We've known they're lovers for a long time, why hammer this home. It felt awkward.

Another thing about those two is that I can't name them! In fact I'm trying to think of the Sontaran's name. At first I thought it was Drax, and then I remembered that was a character in Guardians of the Galaxy. It had a familiar sound...Strax is it. But I can't think of the names of the Lizard Lady and the woman.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:33 am

We've known they're lovers for a long time, why hammer this home.- Bungo

Because a new series with a new Doctor is a jumping on point for a lot of new viewers and designed to be so, and those viewers dont know who they are or their relationship.

And its Madame Vastra and Jenny.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Those three have gone past their sell by date. I think people see past the plonked in for pc kudos stuff and get irritated by it. I dont think Jenny or Vastra are well acted either, Jenny is insipid and almost retarded and Vastra is unnatural and stagey and its not because she is a green lesbian lizard.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 pm

I am indifferent to them- they serve the same purpose UNIT did in classic- they are a frame of refrence for the Doctor and the viewer.

But from reading many reviews now from all over, and watching a lot of reviews, they are undoubtedly generally popular.
Those who dont like them tend to really not like them and are vocal about it, but I'd say 80% of all the reviewers Ive seen highlight at least one Vastra, Jenny Strax moment as a highlight moment.

And they seem very popular with the young 'uns, particularly Strax for that age group.

The day they start only writing Who for the adults is the day its over.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:41 pm

isnt lesbianism for adults? I should have thought Tipping the Velvet references are there soley for adult viewers. Strax is ok for kids, he is relatively funny but even he gets the same gags over and over and over, even kids get bored eventually, they aint stupid.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:56 pm

isnt lesbianism for adults?- Figg

No, its for females who are gay and fancy other women and for those so inclined currently younger and growing up, who now have a married female couple in a mainstream family tv program where it is considered normal.
I think that s a good thing for children to see, and it will hopefully reduce prejudice in those growing up who are not gay by normalising such relationships for them too.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Well the Daily Mail are apparently up in arms at the 'lesbian kiss' (so you are in good company Figg!) and ofcom has received 6 complaints about it.

So just to be clear, these people complaining seemed to have no problem with robots wearing other peoples faces after removing said faces with extreme prejudice, the Doctor predicting he was about to kill someone whilst offering them a last drink before possibly doing it, and an air balloon made of human skin.
But one female characters giving the kiss of life (she was saving her life by transferring air after all) to another female character, to whom she is married, is beyond the pale.

I despair sometimes, I really do Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:16 pm

CLARA: Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor. Last of the five good 'uns. Stoic philosopher.
VASTRA: Superlative bass guitarist. The Doctor really knows how to put a band together.

Missed this joke! I love the idea the Doctor has a Bill and Ted style band made up of figures from all through time and space- I bet they are shit hot! Especially with 12 as lead singer (Capaldi used to be in a band with Craig Ferguson) I reckon 12 leans more towards punk, thats why he needs a good bassist. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Really liked this-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well the Daily Mail are apparently up in arms at the 'lesbian kiss' (so you are in good company Figg!) and ofcom has received 6 complaints about it.

So just to be clear, these people complaining seemed to have no problem with robots wearing other peoples faces after removing said faces with extreme prejudice, the Doctor predicting he was about to kill someone whilst offering them a last drink before possibly doing it, and an air balloon made of human skin.
But one female characters giving the kiss of life (she was saving her life by transferring air after all) to another female character, to whom she is married, is beyond the pale.

I despair sometimes, I really do Mad

Not 'up in arms' about it at all. Just dont like it hammered every 5 minutes in an unsubtle way. The lesbian kiss doesnt bother me, and I dont think its bad for kids to see two women kiss, theres nothing wrong with it and I object to be pidgeon holed as a Mary Whitehouse and misrepresented. They are guilty of double standards, if you think Moffat is being liberal you are mistaken. They hammer every 5 minutes that the couple are married, married married married blah blah, because that makes it ok doesnt it? normalizes things if they are married. Heaven forbid two lesbians kissing who arent wed.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:59 pm

They hammer everything every 6 minutes, it's like they think everybody who watches are retared apes. Or monkeys. (see what I did there?)

I quite like Jenny and Vestra. Or maybe I am just thrilled to see good actors
Strax I could do without, he's just a walking joke poor thing.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:27 pm

because that makes it ok doesnt it? normalizes things if they are married. - Mrs Figg

But the point of it is to normalise gay marriage. Its a fact of UK life now and a show like Who which has always championed progressive social messages in its scifi just as ST used too, should make these sort of statements in my view.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Who should not be a soapbox for the half baked gay issues de jour Moffat feels like peddling. Who is entertainment for kids, why do they have to get embroiled in adult sexuality every time they turn on the tv? cant they just be kids without adults 'educating' them about the things adults do in private. Let them be kids for fucks sake. If they learn about sex it should be from responsible adults, parents, Teachers, not left to dingbat tv producers.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next