David H
13 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [5] Empty Doctor Who [5]

Post by David H Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 am

Continued from: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t557p990-doctor-who-4

----------

No, you didn't give me Christmas Carol. All I've got left are Doctor's wife and Girl who waited. Then I may not be seeing any more Who till next winter, unless I stumble onto a random episode or two when I'm traveling with the ships.

I don't care much one way or another about Who spoilers, because all my life I've been stumbling into the middle of series and out again in random order. It's actually fun that way, like traveling by Tardis, always trying to figure out what year I'm in from the clues on the screen.

If you could give me a "certainly no more than X or less than Y" range for the number of Rory's deaths, that wouldn't be a spoiler for me in any way. But I think the fact that we're even having this conversation on death# is proof that the writers haven't treated poor Rory too well. If they're equally hard on Amy I can see why some people, especially women, would go out of their way not to let themselves identify with her.

BTW I like young Amelia a lot. As a matter of fact I think I've liked it every time new Who has brought kids into the plot. I guess I'm a bit old fashioned that way.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who [5] Empty Re: Doctor Who [5]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 5:30 am

All I've got left are Doctor's wife and Girl who waited.- David

The Doctors wife comes first but didnt I give any of the episodes inbetween? (Rebel flesh/Almost people. A good man goes to war/ lets kill hitler/night terrors)

"certainly no more than X or less than Y" range for the number of Rory's deaths"- David

Ok I will try to tot them up including alternate times ect-
He dies in Amy's Choice when old Mrs Sproggatt gets him! (dream)
He dies again when the Silurian shoots him, and he is wiped from existence. (real)
He has a lifetime aborted (but remebered) as a plastic Centurion for 2000 years. (alternate timeline)
He has a faked death in Imp Astronaut. (fake)
Amy sees a dead version of him in the Doctors Wife. (hallucination)
He drowns but is revived in Black Spot. (doesnt actually die)
He thinks he's dead in Night Terrors- but isnt- "We're dead! Again!" (isn't really dead)
He has another temporary other world existence that ends in Wedding of River Song. (alternate timeline)
And the Silence say to him "Rory Williams. The man who dies and dies again. Die one last time."
But he doesnt in fact, die that is. That time anyway.

He dies on the rooftop in another aborted time line in Angels Takes Manhatten. (alternate timeline)
And then when they leave they sort of die. (final death)

Think thats them all- but he actually only dies once before the departure episode- when the Silurian shoots him- the rest are vision, dreams, alternate timelines or realities.

If they're equally hard on Amy I can see why some people, especially women, would go out of their way not to let themselves identify with her. - David

Did you see impossible astronaut? And the resolution of Amy' yes/no pregnancy tests?
I suspect its that story line offends- from my nieces and friends female kids they all were huge Amy fans, I only heard of complaints about her from the adult females.

I like young Amelia a lot. As a matter of fact I think I've liked it every time new Who has brought kids into the plot. - David

Matt Smith sems to have an excellent rappport with kids and to really relate well to them.
Little Amelia is played by Karen's cousin.

You can always resend the mem stick for more episodes. Doctor Who [5] 3392635135 (and latest purist edit of TH)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Doctor Who [5] Imagephp_zps1c48ec4c

Doctor Who [5] Imbage_zps2ab71e65

Doctor Who [5] Imnnnge_zpsf213942f

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I watched Dr's Wife last night. That was fun! A lot more manageable size. I liked the doctor's explanation to "is it like a bubble on a bubble." "NO! ... But if it helps you, YES!" I may have to use that one! Smile

I noticed they killed Rory again, this time as an ancient lunatic in a corridor with "HATE AMY, KILL AMY" written on the walls in his own blood and filth. This is a bit beyond the issues that most marriages have to deal with, at least around here. The writers don't seem to pull many punches with these two...

Also the soul thing again... Is this the first time the Tardis has explicitly had a living soul, or has that been around for a while?

I was curious when I was watching if Sexy has any identifiable regional or class mannerisms. My Yankee ear is a bit tone deaf.

Also while I'm asking, how would you pigeonhole River and Donna? I think I've got the rest.

I don't have Astronaut, and only Girl who Waited left. I should probably take you up on the reload. Thanks! Very Happy

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

The writers don't seem to pull many punches with these two...- David

You see this is the thing- Rory is my joint second favourite male companion of all time (Jamie -2nd Doctor companion and Ian 1st Doctor companion beig the others- with Harry, 4th Doctor, getting an honrouble mention he wasnt in it long)- and I think Rory actually gets just as hard a time as Amy- becuase Amy's arc involves her female biology it seems to tip the balance somewhat for woman.

Is this the first time the Tardis has explicitly had a living soul, or has that been around for a while? - David

The TARDIS has been alive since the very first epiosde when Ian put his hand against her woodwork and declared in suprise "Its alive!"

The TARDIS (IDRIS) personality is basically London I would say (might explain why she is so fond of the place!) but its fairly classless, sometimes its a bit mad aristocrat and then at other times its almost common.

I should probably take you up on the reload. Thanks!- David

Probably a good idea as series 6 is really one big story arc centering around the fate of the Doctor and of Amy - best watched in order too, in fact they really need to be with the exception of the two episodes Ive given you- doctors wife and the girl who waited- which are about the only stand alone episodes in 6.

Also while I'm asking, how would you pigeonhole River and Donna?- david

Do you mean what class are they? If so River doesnt realy have one- well educated would about cover her- Donna is working class, with a common accent.
Although her parents seem to have been aspirational to be middle class.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed May 01, 2013 6:03 pm

how can one dislike Doctor Who that is the question

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 01, 2013 6:47 pm

...well...suppose you were a Dalek....
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed May 01, 2013 6:53 pm

your the queen of my flesh

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

and you're such a precious angel Very Happy
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Incredibly this clip wasnt on Youtue- so I had to upload it myself!! Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

the lord's work

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

No, I uploaded myself CC!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed May 01, 2013 7:06 pm

what

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Not what but Who I think you will find CC.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Next time trailer for Crimson Horror-

Looking forward to seeing Dame Diana Rigg in this one. Although it is a Gatiss episode and after Cold War, Night Terrors, Victory of the Daleks, Lazurus Experiment, Idiots lantern and the Unquiet Dead- I am still waiting on him to write a really good one rather than a middle of the road (or worse) episode.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 02, 2013 1:39 am

Finally got around to watching the Bells of St. John. Sublime, and Matt Smith is quite delightful.

I like how modern BBC takes a multi-racial culture so nonchalantly, without letting different cultures intrude. American media so rarely does that.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 02, 2013 2:12 am

Im not sure what you mean about multi-racial culture in that epiosde Halfwise- I didn notice it other than there are people of different races in it, Im not sure what you mean by intrude.
Do you mean black people are in it without them having to in some way reflect black cultre, asian people without having to reflect asian culture ect?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 am

yes; unless in a futuristic setting American television often feels obliged to shovel in cultural baggage instead of just letting people be people. There are many exceptions, but they remain exceptions.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 am

I thought thats what you meant-just wasnt sure.
I think its been going on for a long time in our media- and it does reflect something true I think about the UK melting pot- the black and indian people who came here post WW2 to fill jobs made it a point of pride to 'become British'- so whilst there is Indian/British and Carribean/British there isnt a lot of cultural feuding and baggage really to carry about compared to America.
And from top to bottom of the uk you will find folk who go out for a drink and end the night with a curry or kebab- its all British culture now.
British tv just reflects that.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 am

I think since the melting pot in America started when racial differences were an ingrained part of the mental fabric the blending was never allowed to become so complete. The blurring has become stronger in recent decades, but the core cultural differences are still used to define race. The strong cultural identities are both good and bad, but it's refreshing to see a more idealized version of racial mixing portrayed from a country which basically defined "white anglo-saxon" for the world.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Im not sure quantum physics is really necessary to understand the plot in a show about a man in a magic box but I love a good discussion.

But when it comes to time and memory I hope you can buffer this -as the Doctor explains it much better than me-

*Sigh*. That was beautiful.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Doctor Who [5] 264509_585415091491398_332168369_n
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 02, 2013 7:40 pm

She is however not stupid- they are in the middle of a fire fight, there are dead Silence on the ground in view all around- Rory sees something scary behind her, so she shoots it.
Very River.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Thu May 02, 2013 9:21 pm

what do u mean she is however

Back to top Go down