Pettytyrant101
Forest Shepherd
14 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Role-playing games - Page 13 Empty Re: Role-playing games

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:53 am

I see I'm not the first!

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dalek_(3.5e_Creature)

I found an interesting tidbit from a 4th edition D&D Dalek attempt. They suggested that a critical hit would temporarily damage the Dalek's vision-stalk-thing. "My vision is impaaired!"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:51 am

I didn't end up using the Dalek. As with a lot of my more outlandish ideas, I ended up pussying out and just putting in a more sensible substitute. 

I finished the season finale for my game too. The players fought a dragon, got a bunch of cool loot, finally found the guy they'd been sent to rescue 7 sessions ago, and they (rather ruthlessly) killed off the evil mother of the tiefling in the group. 

So this Saturday we're all going to get together and make new characters...
And I get to play one! The older guy in the group has said that he would like to try some DMing, so I'm going to pass the reins over to him for a bit and see how it feels to play a character again.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:41 pm

It will be interesting now, to see your reaction and feelings on being a player again having had 'seen behind the curtain' sort of thing. It's a hard thing to step away from, DMing - it can get in your blood and infect you. If you fail the saving throw, and there are penalties applied (Only DMs who have experienced this themselves have the secret codex knowledge of this) you will never be content with being a player, it's so one dimensional...

Wink
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:37 am

I only hope that having DMd now for a few months I will be understanding and patient of this new guy. 

But yes, perhaps it will bore me and I won't like it. Who knows!

I take it you've sat on both sides of the screen Nagual?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:01 am

I'm finally back to DMing again. I've missed it a lot! (The other guy was pretty awful).

This time around I'm focusing the adventure all within a single city. This is quite different for me, and I feel like it will give me more time to really bring the place alive. 

At the moment, I'm rather caught up on a question of whether I should use one a certain monster and give the party a slight challenge, or throw two of that creature against them for a tough encounter. I always end up going for the latter, but I'm trying to work on that.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:24 am

So the party solved the murder mystery and defeated a nefarious gnome wizard who went by the name of Boddyknock "Nim" Murnig. Good times!

Now they're part-way through an adventure in the marshlands to the south. A group of snake-men have been serving a Hydra by capturing the local marsh-people and feeding them to the beast. The adventuring party just got the help of a local Black Dragon. 

I feel like I played the dragon far to amicably, but what can you do eh?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:52 am

Well, that adventure ended with a whimper. Basically two PCs were captured, and the other two have had their respective players booted from the group!

Or rather, I asked politely one of the players to leave, and her boyfriend went with her. Surprise surprise I suppose. It wouldn't look good if he kept coming without his girlfriend.  Rolling Eyes

I'm happier with her gone though. She was a downer, and rather rude, and just sort of... prickly: hard to get along with. She was very critical of other people's choices in and out of the game. 

I advertised on reddit's /LFG subreddit and found three new players! Sam, Sean, and Johan. I've been playing through the Starter set adventure, "Lost Mines of Phandelver". 

I can't say I like it very much. 

I actually suffered some kind of brain-storming explosion this evening, because I just wrote down like two pages of material for the next adventure I'm going to run. I'm very excited about it. Far more excited than I am about LMoP...

But oh well. I felt it necessary to run the noobs through a level 1-4 or so adventure, and then have them start over with new characters. Player Characters in roleplaying games are like essays or speeches or handcrafted things: the first one always sucks, and then you just keep getting better at it.

The next adventure will begin with a short vignette in which the players will play as high-level evil adventurers attempting to hide a "macguffin" in a secretly warded location. I'm going to have them be attacked by impossible odds (powerful devils or fallen angels serving Talos the god of Storms) and utterly destroyed, at which point we'll begin the adventure with their actual characters. Should be fun!  Twisted Evil

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:54 am

Talos is awfully Odin-ish with that eye-patch...

Role-playing games - Page 13 Latest?cb=20070705214136

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Since this is also a thread for the lesser cousins of D&D I thought it might be the right place for this - I've been thinking that I could use a hobby or a pastime lately, and I've been looking into an old hobby, the miniature games from Games Workshop. I haven't collected/painted models for probably ten years, but I still got tons of stuff laying around in a box somewhere.

Has anyone here ever collected or played with either Warhammer or LotR themed models? I used to love sitting for hours at a time just painting. Everything from buying new sets, unboxing and assembling to painting was great fun, and very relaxing. Went to see the store I used to go to in Trondheim a week ago, but it had been closed, so now I'll have to order online or go to Oslo if I want to get back into it. Anyway, the idea was to ask if anyone else here ever played or collected this stuff, and if so, feel free to share pictures of models or whatever Very Happy

Role-playing games - Page 13 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:39 pm

My step-brothers used to play a lot of 40k. I never really got into modeling of wargaming but I loved flipping through the rulebooks to look at the art and reading the novels. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Never played much myself (mostly because there were so few in my area who were into it), byt collecting and painting alone was alot of fun. And like I said, a very relaxing pastime, which is just the thing I need lately. Better than wasting all my money on poker anyway Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Never played much myself (mostly because there were so few in my area who were into it), byt collecting and painting alone was alot of fun. And like I said, a very relaxing pastime, which is just the thing I need lately. Better than wasting all my money on poker anyway Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:31 pm

After seeing countless mentions of Trondheim, I looked up pictures. It looks colorful but quiet. Somehow "Trondheim" always sounded industrial to me.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:06 pm

It's not bad for a city Wink Always have and always will prefer the countryside, but Trondheim can be very beautiful on a clear day, both in winter and summer. Also quite charming during Christmas.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:38 am

I can't say I've ever gotten into miniature-painting. I've done a few of the grey-plastic pieces that I use in my own D&D games, but that's about it. 

I mean, I do enjoy it quite a lot, but I do not consider myself a fully-fledged miniature hobbyist.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:09 am

How's the Miniature-painting going Ringo?

I'm too busy for any at the moment, as I'm trying to build myself a cabin and in at least some of my spare time I'm back to running 4 players through a campaign of D&D. It's going okay, but I struggle sometimes with motivation.

Currently, the party is about to sneak into a Hobgoblin war camp to assassinate their leader and steal a magical crown he recently acquired. A Shadow Demon is involved, and perhaps some lycanthropy, and wood-elves. So that's all good. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 am

Haha, if you read just my posts in this thread, it reads like the evolution of a player from ignorant fool to slightly less ignorant fool to fool that is at least slightly self-aware.

Anyway, I started running a 3rd edition adventure yesterday. It's called Red Hand of Doom. Good stuff, kind of like LotR as it deals with threat of a goblinoid horde.

Role-playing games - Page 13 61JBRQAA96L

I'm still DMing for the group that I met in the fall last year, and I've been playing with one player since I first started DMing back in 2015.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:28 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:How's the Miniature-painting going Ringo?

I'm too busy for any at the moment, as I'm trying to build myself a cabin and in at least some of my spare time I'm back to running 4 players through a campaign of D&D. It's going okay, but I struggle sometimes with motivation.

Currently, the party is about to sneak into a Hobgoblin war camp to assassinate their leader and steal a magical crown he recently acquired. A Shadow Demon is involved, and perhaps some lycanthropy, and wood-elves. So that's all good. Smile

Shocked If you say so. Nod

I'm a bit of a coward me, when it comes to shadow deamons and lycanthropicity Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 am

Shadow Demons are pretty unpleasant! Lycanthropes are not so bad though. Razz

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 am

Give them a bone to chew on, as you say Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:08 pm

Or a few peasants.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Although, you should maybe not make that joke to a lycanthrope Shocked

Nice doggie *pat *pat* *whuuuuuauuuuuu*

Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Laughing

Role-playing games - Page 13 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Role-playing games - Page 13 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 am

Anyone played Call of Cthulhu before? I ran a one-off game of it months ago, and have been thinking of starting up something a little longer. Maybe even try out the campaign, Horror on the Orient Express.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:31 pm

It is rather a one-sided conversation in here these days, but I wanted to mention that I'm starting up a Call of Cthulhu campaign this next weekend. Lovecraftian adventures in the new year!

Wish me luck. The players are going to start out in 1923 London. They haven't told me their character ideas yet, but hopefully they make an entertaining bunch.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next