halfwise
bungobaggins
Orwell
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Art of Survivaling - Page 2 Empty Re: Art of Survivaling

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I have tatties!!  cheers (potato's to the non-Scots) was harvest day today from the veggie patch and a mild winter followed by the second warmest summer on record here have produced some right crackers this years- Ill try to get a pic of them.

I'm wondering if I might even get a crop of oats*. With tatties, cranberies, eggs and chickens (or chickens and eggs), I'd have the full nutrient requirement.  Very Happy

{{{*In my big patch (which is just subsoil at moment with a bit of gypsum thrown on) I'm growing oats, lupins and peas and a host of thrown seeds from old packs of vegies as a cover crop to see what will happen) }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 am

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:54 am

The hell's "lupins"?  Not planting foxes, are you?  Suspect 

(googles)

Well, I'll be.  Never heard of them as things to eat.  But it says that in Spanish Harlem they're consumed with beer.  That's walking distance from me.  Shocked   I've got beer swilling lupin eaters just down the hill and I never knowed it. Shrugging 

You ever eat 'em with beer, Orwell?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:10 am

I never knew until recently one could eat 'em.  Very Happy I only knew them as pretty flowers and a green manure plant (legume). Somewhere in my all things Greenie researching I heard you can eat them. Must try if I get any pods.

Over the years my store of knowledge of 'weeds' that can be eaten has steadily improved. You know, I remember being driven somewhere by my one of my brothers when I was about thirteen or fourteen and we saw some - what we called back then - "New" Australians (Italians, i think) picking stuff by the roadside. My brother said something like: "Look at the Wogaletties eating weeds." I immediately thought it odd anyone would eat weeds unless they were some kind of food. I also cringed at my brother's description of those people as 'Wogaletties'. I don't know where my (instinctive?) non-Racism came from, mind. Maybe I detected condescension and thought that a bit rude and it wasn't non-Racism at all? - or was after all!  Shrugging   Anyway, some as say I was a strange gangrel child - and, some as say I'm an even sranger adult.  Very Happy 

Another thought just came to me. When I drove aound the countryside I wondered why the gum trees (Eucalypts) looked kinda dead while other folk with me would be saying, "Oh look how green everything is." Referring to pastures, of course. Not Aboriginal made pasture as I have since learned but European pastures that became eroded fields in Summer because of European farming practices.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:27 pm

I like your garden Orwell, its so big ! The beauty of it is, that you can chop & change. Grow veggies one minute, flowers the next & then back to cereal crops  Very Happy In fact you can do whatever the hell you like with a garden that size. Just gotta get the soil right & Bob's yer uncle ! Enjoy the narration to.

Art of Survivaling - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Art of Survivaling - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Its more like  small holding than a garden!

If I may make a recommendation when it comes to tatties Orwell dont plant them in the ground.

See if you can get your hands on a bunch of old tyres, larger the circumference the better- so lorry, tractor, old bus tyres are ideal- pile them up on top of each other and secure them together with some rope, fill the whole thing with a mix of soil and compost then bung the tatties in there- they will grow all the way down to the bottom and each plant will yield a load of spuds each top to bottom.

And best of all you dont have to break your back digging them out come harvest, you just release the rope and collect your reward.  Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Its more like  small holding than a garden!

If I may make a recommendation when it comes to tatties Orwell dont plant them in the ground.

See if you can get your hands on a bunch of old tyres, larger the circumference the better- so lorry, tractor, old bus tyres are ideal- pile them up on top of each other and secure them together with some rope, fill the whole thing with a mix of soil and compost then bung the tatties in there- they will grow all the way down to the bottom and each plant will yield a load of spuds each top to bottom.

And best of all you dont have to break your back digging them out come harvest, you just release the rope and collect your reward.  Nod

Genius Very Happy

Art of Survivaling - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Orwell wrote:I knew you for a pack of Greenies!  Very Happy 

So you're family are Survivalists too, Forest. Explains your New Age name. (And there's me thinking you were an Ent. Silly ol' me.)
Well I was cursed with hippies for parents, so the name is less "New Age" Spiritualism-based than simply back-to-the-countryside 1960s/70s free-spirit, "eat lots of peaches" Christian-based hippie-ism. It's true the whole "Shepherd of the Forest" Ent title comes to mind, but my name actually refers to the fact that my dad was a tree-planter for many years. Go figure.  Rolling Eyes 

When I hear the term "Survivalist" I think of rich, paranoid individuals who build bomb shelters, store massive amounts of supplies, and stock up on weaponry. My family's just relocated mid-Western lower-middle-class who continue a tradition of raising animals and growing food and all that hassle because, in the past, my parents needed to do that to help provide (and my mom was a major hippy).

Nifty suggestion on the potato-growing Petty!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:55 pm

I love hippies  I love you 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Mad

{{{Yeah they're alright.}}}

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 pm

whats in the shed Orwell?  pale 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 am

That's where he's got the artillery for all the non-survilallists who will mob him once the distribution system goes tits up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:59 am

I think its full of roos and jelly  Nod  (jelly is what he going to use to fill up the pond- best not ask what the roos are for)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:57 am

Prposterous allegations --- and only partially true anyway!  Mad 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 am

Yes but which bit is partial, and what's it partial too?  Suspect 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:36 am

An Ozhobbit only speaks of things obliquely. (That's only Respectable!)

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:42 am

I wonder if the reason people started eating chicken was on account of the noise? Seems a fitting revenge.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:49 am

Too true, Halfy. I am uploading another vid as we speak. Yet another disaster has befallen this humble Survivalisiminist!!!! affraid

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:54 am

Just to help out on the pronouncing- tatties- tat-ees.  Dont want you looking silly!  Wink 

You got a big cock in there Orwell? I couldn't see one- or you decided they are too noisy?- we had to get rid of the one out back here thanks to a single complaining neighbour, apparently they just couldn't handle a bit of cock first thing in the morning  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:03 am

I both have and don't have a big* cock.  Very Happy 

{{{*Allow for a certain amount of exageration in these things, Petty. cyclops }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:05 am

Orwell wrote: Too true, Halfy. I am uploading another vid as we speak. Yet another disaster has befallen this humble Survivalisiminist!!!!  affraid

Another disaster!  Worse than the quart of spilled grain?  Shocked   How much shock and anguish do you think we can sustain?!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:07 am

Im bracing myself for the worst.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:15 am

Now, now - don't you go fretting fellows. A Survivaliminist may be knocked down cruely by the fickle Goddess, Gay, but a Survivaliminist can go quite hard when it comes to dealing with the irrational passions of Goddesses...   Nod

Mind you, another catastophe has occurred!!!! My vid of the last catastrophe won't load!!! {{{Gaytastrophe??}}} Oh well... I'm going out to luncheon with my Missus. Hopefully, that moody Gay will have the vid uploaded to Youtube by the time I get back... {{{Yes, a Survivaliminist also has to do what his wife says! Troubles never sem to end for Survivaliminists...  Sad  }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am

Out to luncheon? That doesnt sound very survivalist Suspect  unless by out to lunch you mean youve got a big club and have to brain lunch first before eating it. 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

Survivalists don't do "luncheon".  No  Oh Orwell, you have gone astray.  No matter how noble the experiment, or how much chest hair bursts the buttons, there is no recovery from "luncheon".

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum