In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?)

+9
halfwise
Forest Shepherd
David H
malickfan
Mrs Figg
Ringdrotten
bungobaggins
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
13 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Empty Re: In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?)

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 10, 2014 5:23 am

I don't see how showing a map for the benefit of the movie audience is at all unreasonable.- Eldo

Its not, but the manner in which it is done is poor because there is no narrative reason for it, its there to show the audience, and there is barely any pretence otherwise.
Had they included a map scene when he returns to Miinas Tirith instead it would have serve the same purpose whilst also serving a narrative purpose of demonstrating Minas Tirith is ruled.
Putting it where they do, right after the clumsy here is what is going on telepathy just makes it seem obtrusive and unnecessary.

Also when there is no intercutting between story lines its considerably less necessary.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Empty Re: In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?)

Post by David H Sat May 10, 2014 7:32 am

Eldorion wrote:BTW, Petty and Dave, I'm not trying to ignore your guys' posts about the intercutting thing, I'm too tired to write a response to that right now so I'll have to revisit it tomorrow.  Hopefully this post will help remind me. Razz

No worries Eldo. Remember, being an Admin means never having to say you're sorry. Smile

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 UJpDi In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat May 10, 2014 11:18 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I don't see how showing a map for the benefit of the movie audience is at all unreasonable.- Eldo

Its not, but the manner in which it is done is poor because there is no narrative reason for it, its there to show the audience, and there is barely any pretence otherwise.
Had they included a map scene when he returns to Miinas Tirith instead it would have serve the same purpose whilst also serving a narrative purpose of demonstrating Minas Tirith is ruled.
Putting it where they do, right after the clumsy here is what is going on telepathy just makes it seem obtrusive and unnecessary.

Also when there is no intercutting between story lines its considerably less necessary.
It always felt rather like I was being talked down to. Simplifying all the things that might be on Faramir's mind as a captain of men specifically functioning in Ithilien down to the central idea that Saruman is off north somewhere being a pain and the fight in Osgiliath going poorly is quite the dumbing-down of even the basic strategies that the hobbits are privy to in the book. I seem to remember their film-dialogue perhaps including some smarter details, but the finger pointing was a bit crude for audience member's familiar with the story.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 10, 2014 3:22 pm

But many other audience members were not familiar with the story.  It may not have been something Faramir would have done in real life, but I thought it was an effective way to show what was going on.  Shakespeare is never criticized for his soliliquys, I don't really see the difference here.

EDIT: except of course, PJ is no shakespeare.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 10, 2014 4:03 pm

I dont actually think it is at all necessary to follow events and the story. It is not in my edit and I never heard anyone complain that they did not know what was going on.
But putting that aside I still think it is done clumsily and for no other purpose than to show the audience the map and where everyone is- and that could have been better achieved at Minas Tirith where it would also have served a wider story purpose, so making it feel less like an insertion solely for the audience.

Also its the same map as Bilbo's which gives the impression there is one cartographer somewhere supplying identical maps from the Shire to Gondor.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 10, 2014 4:08 pm

I suspect everyone who's seen your edit is familiar with the story.

Same map as Bilbo? yeah, well....

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Not true- I have friends and family who have neither read the book nor seen PJ's films but who have watched my edits (I had to have a test group to make sure it was still a coherent watchable film in its own right).

On the maps, I rather always liked the idea that all the maps we see in Bilbo's study were done by him, the way they were visualised for the film they had that nice hand drawn in ink look about them, so kind of spoils it when it turns out everyone in ME with a map has one exactly like it clearly made by the same hand.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 10, 2014 6:21 pm

#nitpickingaboutmapsohmy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 10, 2014 6:50 pm

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 ImagesEAITL8C9_zps295e7999
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat May 10, 2014 7:08 pm

He's been known to do that  Laughing 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 15, 2014 5:51 am

Looks like the pro-FOTR camp has gained support from Viggo (who I think has made similar comments in the past, but I can't be arsed to check).

Viggo Mortensen interview from The Telegraph

Now, 14 years on, Mortensen has enough distance from the series to admit that the process of making it was more or less complete chaos.

“Anybody who says they knew it was going to be the success it was, I don’t think it’s really true,” he says. “They didn’t have an inkling until they showed 20 minutes in Cannes, in May of 2001. They were in a lot of trouble, and Peter had spent a lot. Officially, he could say that he was finished in December 2000 – he’d shot all three films in the trilogy – but really the second and third ones were a mess. It was very sloppy – it just wasn’t done at all. It needed massive reshoots, which we did, year after year. But he would have never been given the extra money to do those if the first one hadn’t been a huge success. The second and third ones would have been straight to video.”

Mortensen thinks – rightly – that The Fellowship of the Ring turned out the best of the three, perhaps largely because it was shot in one go. “It was very confusing, we were going at such a pace, and they had so many units shooting, it was really insane. But it’s true that the first script was better organised,” he says. “Also, Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10.

“I guess Peter became like Ridley Scott – this one-man industry now, with all these people depending on him,” Mortensen adds. “But you can make a choice, I think. I asked Ridley when I worked with him (on 1997’s GI Jane), 'Why don’t you do another film like The Duellists [Scott’s 1977 debut, from a Joseph Conrad short story]?’ And Peter, I was sure he would do another intimately scaled film like Heavenly Creatures, maybe with this project about New Zealanders in the First World War he wanted to make. But then he did King Kong. And then he did The Lovely Bones – and I thought that would be his smaller movie. But the problem is, he did it on a $90 million budget. That should have been a $15 million movie. The special effects thing, the genie, was out of the bottle, and it has him. And he’s happy, I think…

His stories about Cronenberg are also interesting.  I think A History of Violence is probably my favorite Viggo performance, though I did like Hidalgo a lot as a kid.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Thu May 15, 2014 6:22 am

That's a pretty interesting interview with Viggo, and I definitely agree with him on his thoughts of PJ's growing special effects addiction. Though I'm not sure which LOTR film is my favorite, I can definitely see where he and other are coming from on FOTR.

BTW, I have seen Viggo in LOTR and The Road, both of which I really like him in. He was stellar in The Road IMO.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 15, 2014 6:25 am

I actually haven't seen The Road myself, though I know I need to rectify that sooner or later. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 15, 2014 8:58 am

Its nice to read actors views & opinions of any given film, years later when they can better see the wood for the trees ! At the time its a carnival & your swept up in the wave but, later, you can see the flaws, holes & fooking cock ups clearer. Id like to 'hear' how other actors from LOTRs feel now ?

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu May 15, 2014 10:56 am

I sense Viggo Mortensen didn't like TH much Nod

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 15, 2014 1:46 pm

well I agree with him about TH but TT and ROTK were naturally more grandiose, they were grandiose themes, they are epic High Fantasy so they have to have some 'big' effects and not the more intimate feel of The Shire as in FOTR.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu May 15, 2014 2:16 pm

I'd love to see them post that interview on torn. Twisted Evil

Ah! Someone posted it! Now they hate Viggo! slap laugh

www.newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=741831

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 15, 2014 2:30 pm

wow they are unbelievable, (I somehow managed to read the thread) they swing between snide comments about him being bad mannered, ungrateful, and being so bamboozled by the action sequences that he cant see the magnificence of the movie, so basicaly its denial, attack and backhanded insult. way to go TORn!. these people are ridiculous.  slap laugh

somebody actuallyhad the nerve to say PJs Laketown is stronger than Tolkiens.  slap laugh   :prof:  yeah right, sheer ignorance.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Thu May 15, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu May 15, 2014 2:33 pm

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu May 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:wow they are unbelievable, (I somehow managed to read the thread) they swing between snide comments about him being bad mannered, ungrateful, and being so bamboozled by the action sequences that he cant see the magnificence of the movie, so basicaly its denial, attack and backhanded insult. way to go TORn!. these people are ridiculous.  slap laugh

somebody actuallyhad the nerve to say PJs Laketown is stronger than Tolkiens.  slap laugh   :prof:  yeah right, sheer ignorance.

Thorin and co. could have stood around Lake-town for 45 minutes picking their noses and scratching their asses, and the people on torn would still think it's better than Tolkien.

Oh, wait, that's pretty much what they did in the movie.  cyclops 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:wow they are unbelievable, (I somehow managed to read the thread) they swing between snide comments about him being bad mannered, ungrateful, and being so bamboozled by the action sequences that he cant see the magnificence of the movie, so basicaly its denial, attack and backhanded insult. way to go TORn!. these people are ridiculous.  slap laugh

Now that you can read TORn again, I can't!! I just gives me an Error message. Mad
They can't have banned me for what I was thinking, can thay? Suspect 

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 UJpDi In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 15, 2014 4:02 pm

He'll obviously be happy he turned down appearing in the Hobbit then. Razz 

Before they started shooting, back in 2008, one of the producers did ask if I would be interested. I said, 'You do know, don't you, that Aragorn isn't in The Hobbit? That there is a 60-year gap between the books?

Though Viggo playing what would have been a 10 year old Aragorn might have been amusing, I guess.  Rolling Eyes 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 15, 2014 4:33 pm

David H wrote:

Now that you can read TORn again, I can't!! I just gives me an Error message. Mad
They can't have banned me for what I was thinking, can thay? Suspect 

Shocked   pale 

its funny sometimes I can read the threads occasionally, but mostly I get 'you are banned' message.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 15, 2014 7:06 pm

I also couldn't access that page. Although it may have simply been because the server is down temporarily.
Either way, it's nice to hear Viggo's personal view of things.
Speaking of A History of Violence, of the three Cronenberg films Viggo has appeared in, I really could not understand the acclaim that film has garnered.
I found it strangely acted, unbelievable, weird, dragging towards the end, and inconsistent. The action sequences were, from what I remember, largely deplorable.
Spoiler:
I wanted to like it (because I chose it for movie night and didn't want a bad film on my conscience), but I absolutely could not.

Eastern Promises and A Dangerous Method, however, were great. Maybe it's an order of viewing thing. If you see Eastern Promises first you greatly prefer it, and if you see A History of Violence first it ruins Eastern Promises for you.

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Thu May 15, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu May 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:... and if you see A History of Violence first it ruins Easter Promises for you.

I thought Easter Promises was weird..

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Easter10

hurr hurr

Jokes aside, it's a great film Smile I haven't seen A History of Violence, though, but I'd heard good things about it. Now it appears I must see it and make up an opinion of my own!

In defense of The Two Towers (which is your favorite?) - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next