Bluebottle
halfwise
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why Empty Who is your favourite actor of all time and why

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Mines Jimmy Stewart. He was always himself but its possible to suspend disbelief and believe in his character portrayal. I love his mixture of vulnerability, gentle humour, with inner strength. His characters are loveable and even after 70 years his films are beloved by all.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why Empty Re: Who is your favourite actor of all time and why

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Shocked He is my favourite leading man of all time. There is none more at ease or easier to watch in a film than Jimmy Stewart.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why Empty Re: Who is your favourite actor of all time and why

Post by Radaghast Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Have rarely thought about it, but Stewart is a great choice.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Though his repertoire is mixed, I love Antonio Banderas in the Desperado role.  I never get tired of watching that performance: sheer perfection.  You get flashes of it in other roles.  Casting his voice as Puss in Boots in Shrek II was brilliant.

Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya - I guess I just have a man-crush thing for the sophisticated Spanish swashbuckler archetype.  Embarassed

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Orson Welles?  Shrugging 

Well, he's at least the one I find most fascinating.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:58 pm

It seems I have to give Desperado another chance. I've only seen about three minutes of it, the part where those guys with the guitar case machine guns appear and put on their show. I still can't understand how a scene like that could be part of a good film, but perhaps I'm being unfair Shrugging

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm

you have to start at the beginning. :-)

Their appearance is built up with references to being bad-ass last resorts that will tear the town apart.  So the last thing you expect is guitar case machine guns: a sort of sly comedy touch that works really well in context. The dreaded, mythical mariachis make their entrance.

The whole movie is an expertly crafted action comedy that has to be watched like a concert performance from beginning to end.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 pm

I'll keep that in mind when I get a chance to see it Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm

It's style more than substance, a bunch of character actors doing their thing very well. For some reason the critics all wanted to see Robert Redford or something; just accept that it's an entertainment movie, not a movie trying to say something, not trying to reveal the depths of the human heart. Take it for what it is and enjoy the ride.

And just to make sure you know, it's a choreographed splatterfest: Rodriguez and Torrentino are mutual friends and admirers for a reason. Normally I wouldn't go in for this kind of thing, but when it's done this well...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:50 pm

I don't see the need for me to answer this Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Oh, but we're all so deathly curious!  Rolling Eyes 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Weeeeeeeeell..........................
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm

I always liked Peter O'Toole, Id watch any film he was in. And Alistair Sim ! How natural he seemed when acting, Peter Ustinov was another, And for the ladies ? Margaret Rutherford & beautiful Audrey Hepburn. I cant pick just ONE ! its impossible !

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who is your favourite actor of all time and why Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Hmm...it's hard to narrow it down (I don't watch many older films so people like Stewart or Cary Grant don't do anything for me) but I guess either:

Gary Oldman, Daniel Day Lewis or Guy Pearce, all terrific actors (with patchy filmographies admittedly) with amazing range and energy, always a pleasure to watch.

Christopher Lee and Robert Deniro though both amazing or terrible actors given the material, I simply admire (Deniro has a rather good back catalogue as well)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm

I watched Goodfellas last night, thought Robert De Niro was really good in that.

Jack Nicholson and George C. Scott are also really good.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Orson Welles?  Shrugging 

Well, he's at least the one I find most fascinating.

Very Happy 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Great.  Very Happy 

I would recomend you check out that interview by the way.

You probably don't remember my old signature, here it is:

Orson Welles wrote:It sort of happens. It sort of happens. Movies are terribly easy to make, it's much harder to put on a play. What's hard to do is to make a very good movie. A good movie is even easy to make. Because if you have a good cameraman, if you have a cast that happens to be right, if you have a story that is even vaguely interesting. That is the artform that works in our day and age. It would be very hard to write a great play in blank verse today, but I think it was pretty easy in Elizabethan days to write a good verse play. Not a great one but a good one. And it's damn near impossible now because it's nothing to do with our culture. But somehow a good movie gets itself made even by a lot of second rate people A very good one is of course another thing.

That, among other interesting things, is from that interview.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:41 am

I don't think I've watched one Robert De Niro film I didn't like, and Goodfellas is a great one Very Happy I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tom Hanks - he's the cliché answer to this question, but to paraphrase Bilbo: It's a good answer, and none the worse for having been used before Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:51 am

Oh, I love Tom Hanks! I love you

But I didn't get to see Saving Mr. Banks, yet! Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:43 am

Tough to say. I guess it depends on the genre.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Soon as I saw this Thread I thought James STEWART. Not sure why. I loved him in Harvey. Only saw it once but have been telling myself for years to watch that movie again.  (My fear is, I might be disappointed seeing it again after all these years).

Judy Garland is my favorite female - though only really saw her in Oz. (She could have worn Silver shoes and still been believable, that's how great she was).

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:13 pm

What gets me about Judy Garland is the incredible transformation from the sweet and innocent little girl from Kansas into the Jaded whiskey voiced Judy Garland of her later years. Not unlike what I think our Norc is going through.  Suspect 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 am

The title of this thread is one of those slightly-pompous sounding challenges that asks you to re-evaluate the whole idea of what makes good movie characters and shuffle your brain around in a laborious attempt to pull out a single name and face from the hundreds you've seen.
Many of the entries in this thread are the ones that, unintentionally, can have the affect of embarrassing any future commentators from submitting their own, possibly less substantial, choices: noone wants to follow up an Orson Welles or Judy Garland with a Brad Pitt!

Aaaanyway, how about a tentative top-five?

1. Simon Pegg, just for charisma really, and adorable comedy.
2. ...Leonardo DiCaprio - I mean, c'mon, he's just so easy to watch, in anything (except Titanic)
3. David Tennant - 'Cause he can't HELP but be likeable!
4. Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Ryan Gosling/Adrien Brody - Unlike lots of other actors their age, they've been in great movies, have been able to avoid terrible movies (except Ryan Gosling that is), and have only appeared in a couple bad movies.
5. Werner Herzog in his Documentaries - The most interesting, or rather, weirdest film director ever!  cyclops  cyclops 

That being said, all the other actors suggested so far have been great. Daniel-Day Lewis and Gary Oldman are particular favourites of mine, especially Oldman.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 am

Yeah, there are too many actors whose work I enjoy that it's impossible to pick only one. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:07 am

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah, there are too many actors whose work I enjoy that it's impossible to pick only one. Shrugging

Cop-out!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next