Ally
Eldorion
Squach
9 posters

Go down

Reading the book Empty Reading the book

Post by Squach Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi guys! (and guyettes)
Yestarday i picked up TH and started reading. Yes, i read a bit of TH. (Don't fall over Wink ) I definitely remember some of it, espcially the first parahgraph,(sorry, can't spell) but i think i may be remembering part of a film version where it narated (sorry - really can't spell) the parahgraph when it was showing the hobbit hole.
P.S mum can't be that drunk, she is just coordinated enough to knit and correct my spelling, but i ignored her Wink not sure i trust a drunk!
Very Happy

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Reading the book Empty Re: Reading the book

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Awesome! Very Happy Keep us posted on how it goes, will you? Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:43 pm

How far did you get? Don't worry if you didn't finish it; I also have the knack of being unable to finish books! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:16 am

Ally wrote:How far did you get? Don't worry if you didn't finish it; I also have the knack of being unable to finish books! Very Happy

I never knew, Squach. Please let us know. Hope you didn't end up piking it!

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:20 am

She probably didn't finish it. :/

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:43 am

{{ Sticking this here- a theatrical audiobook of TH, by the guy who did the Lotr's ones}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Seeing the first entry here really makes me miss Squach.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:52 pm

Though I like the general atmosphere of that audiobook (who did they hire to keep a constant background of LotR musical themes spinning for 10 hours?) I was a bit put off by the delivery of the first line.

"In a hole in the ground there live....a hobbit."

No, there should be no special emphasis on "hobbit". It should feel a natural part of the world. The word itself should be enough to make us go "wait a minute..." while the storyteller blithely prattles on about mothers before realizing that perhaps the listener might not know what a hobbit was. Emphasizing the word 'hobbit' spoils the whole joke.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Indeed. His odd enunciations are not very good. He also doesn't sound conversational or theatrical, his voice has a schoolboy's reading cadence to it that lacks charm. So that it doesn't sound like I'm just kvetching over nothing, here's a comparison for the first opening lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlIq06fZ5lA

When reading dramatically or well, you need to use pauses for emphasis. You need to make words sound like the thing they describe. From the example above, "immovably" is said with a finality, "green" is said with a hint of richness to it, as though the greenery is especially lush. The emotion in the reader's voice is absolutely vital: it enhances the story, informing the reader as to what the words mean. I find a mono-tone reading, and by that I mean, mono-emotional, completely unacceptable. Whether the performance is simply plodding and grey, or whether it is delivered in an overly sweet and light-hearted way, as my older sister and mother often read things. Perhaps that works for very small children, but is subpar for anyone over the age of... shall we say six.

Well, this guy isn't all bad, even if the work is over-edited.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:32 pm

Serkis's performance:

The most unsettling one yet. ASMR is torturously unpleasant.

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:33 pm

Actually, except for the first line I rather prefer Petty's narrator.  I feel this American one is overdoing things a bit.  Plus it's horribly abridged - we never hear about Bilbo's mother!

Edit: Serkis' is the best, though like all of them I hear the lines a bit differently in my head and will always be a bit cross when they don't get it right.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:35 pm

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:16 am

Hmm, I don't care about the slip cover in the deluxe edition, but the collection of essays is nice. I do like the gold edges better.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:02 am

I'm not at all sure if this guy is providing insight about the way Tolkien wrote, or simply engaging in academic masturbation. (I'm inclined towards the latter.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:22 pm

I like my books, Im fond of collecting books by Tolkien, but I will collect all sorts of books and I love them. I love the feel of a book, the smell ( the older the better ). Covers, inside illustrations, dust jackets, what they cover, everything.  I got this booklet from Ebay today and of course its going in my collection. I can see why dragons were often called Worms, and going by John Howes illustration I can see why. Smaug has a sleek, slender oriental design about it. This is really a map with a small booklet attached pointing out locations and telling you a bit of the history. Text by Brian Sibley  

Reading the book Img_2022

Reading the book Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Reading the book Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 02, 2024 10:53 pm

Hey that's lovely! Nice art.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat May 04, 2024 9:56 pm

thankyou forest, yes it is lovely. its quite creased because it arrived in the post that day.

Reading the book Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Reading the book Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down