Mrs Figg
Eldorion
azriel
Ally
Pettytyrant101
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship - Page 4 Empty Re: Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship

Post by Norc Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 am

that looks amazing, i wanna go there too!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship - Page 4 Empty Re: Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship

Post by Eldorion Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 am

The whole Pacific Northwest is home to the some of the most beautiful geography in North America. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 22, 2013 9:58 am

i believe you, there are some great places in Americurr that i'de really like to go hiking in Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

If I've done this right, you should get a GoPro tour of the ship.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Cool!  Thumbs Up 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Fantastic Dave (thats wasn't your farm near the end was it?) only disappointing thing was they never advertised the availability of suspicious veg on board- missed a trick there.  Nod 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 pm

The shots from way up high, looking down are great  Very Happy 

Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: only disappointing thing was they never advertised the availability of suspicious veg on board- missed a trick there.  Nod 

The "after hours tour" is...umm...different  Cool  Nod

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:17 pm

azriel wrote:The shots from way up high, looking down are great  Very Happy 

It's funny Az. When you're up there working it doesn't really feel that high.
It's like you're surrounded by this intricate, sophisticated spiderweb of a machine, and you've got a job to do.

....and then you glance down and you see a tiny little bathtub toy of a boat a mile below you.... Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Dont look down then !  Laughing  Tho the view is obviously worth it !  Very Happy 

Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Ahoy there Matey- Farmer Daves ship - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Hey Dave check it out. Sergei is really hard to understand, but I thought this might be of some interest to you.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Wow, seeing Dave's video again I caught what I had missed before: it was in Pirates of the Caribbean! I love that film (only one stupid line in there, where the main characters with no sailing experience are telling sailors what to do). Where you on the ship for the filming, Dave?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:24 pm

No I wasn't onboard for that one. I required something like a 6 month commitment, sailing down to LA to convert the Lady W into the Interceptor, then through the Panama Canal and over to St Vincent for filming, then back to Washington. Most of that crew has worked cranberry harvest with us though, so I've got all the good stories....

But remember, there was no indication at the time that PotC was going to be anything more memorable than Haunted Mansion (Eddie Murphy) or The Country Bears (Christopher Walken), 2 other Disney films made about the same time to reboot the themepark rides of the same name....

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:56 pm

the PotC ride is a classic in itself, I think it inspired the writers.

Very cool that some of the crew helps you out with harvest. I wouldn't mind you posting a few stories you heard about filming.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Forrest, I'll check out the Poltava video next time I get to a high speed connection. At the moment data is being delivered by snails.

Halfy, when our boat was cast as HMS Interceptor there was actually no script written, just a concept, a director, a star, and a deadline. The script was being developed and rewritten daily as they were shooting on location in St Vincent. It could have been a disaster, but in the end I think the spontaneity of it all is part of the magic. I'll try for a story or two later (being careful not to share other people's stories...)

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:30 am

So I was rewatching Master and Commander, and something ("summat") struck me as odd.  When ships are manuevering for position they talk about the "weather gauge", which seems to mean the ship upwind has the advantage.   They even have the upwind ship outrunning the downwind ship.  Doesn't make any sense to me, since it's the same wind until one ship is close enough to block the wind to the other ship, but that would have to be pretty close I'd think.  When ships are miles apart as in the film it doesn't ring true.  Give us the Tea, captain Dave!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:55 pm

My favourite scene in that film is when the poor man is swept into the raging sea after they have had to cut a mast adrift, there is nothing anyone can do to help him and you see him drifting away on a huge wave, with Elgar's Fantasy on a theme by Thomas Tallis playing in the background. Its heartbreaking. Actually this is the most beautiful music I have ever heard.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Ralph Vaughn Williams not Elgar. Williams can make you weep; Elgar's more stodgy. Yes it's one of the scenes that makes for a great and under-appreciated movie.

Listening to the music again I think the cues from Stargate must have been inspired by it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:48 pm

Oh yeah, Williams, don't know why I wrote Elgar. scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Looking him up, Vaughan Williams tried to study with Elgar, but the world got lucky and he was turned away and went to Ravel instead. So we got more lush tone poems instead of regimented forms.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4