Stuff from the book that should have been in the film, but mysterously wasn't (or the what the **** you playing at PJ thread)

+5
halfwise
RA
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Stuff from the book that should have been in the film, but mysterously wasn't (or the what the **** you playing at PJ thread) - Page 2 Empty Re: Stuff from the book that should have been in the film, but mysterously wasn't (or the what the **** you playing at PJ thread)

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 pm

well I got all that from Ians performance and more, so we will have to agree to disagree *again* Cool
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Stuff from the book that should have been in the film, but mysterously wasn't (or the what the **** you playing at PJ thread) - Page 2 Empty Re: Stuff from the book that should have been in the film, but mysterously wasn't (or the what the **** you playing at PJ thread)

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 pm

well I got all that from Ians performance- Mrs Figg

No we get precisley half of it- we dont get the physical performance of Gandalf the Grey as described by Tolkien.
And I miss that aspect to Gandalf because I always pictured him when reading as described.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:03 am

No. we get precisely all of it. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:18 am

I can see that sir Ian could have played up the physical age a bit more, but I thought his voice and mannerisms did an excellent job of portraying great age. His White was very definitely different from his Grey.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 am

Yes, he did a good job with the voice and the face, but he didnt make his body old. He moves to easily and nimbly, he hardly ever really uses his staff properly as a walking aid.
And whilst his White is different to his Grey it is more in costume and the delivery of the lines than in any significant physical change to his body, which afterall has supposed to have been reborn in a literal sense, back to like when he first arrived in a flesh body, before he was bent by the load of carrying out his task.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 am

and who cares about Tolkien anyways

Ian /heart

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:31 am

As always CC there I think you have hit upon the truth and very heart of the problem in this debate. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 pm

halfwise wrote:I can see that sir Ian could have played up the physical age a bit more, but I thought his voice and mannerisms did an excellent job of portraying great age. His White was very definitely different from his Grey.

Nod
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Yes, he did a good job with the voice and the face, but he didnt make his body old. He moves to easily and nimbly, he hardly ever really uses his staff properly as a walking aid.
And whilst his White is different to his Grey it is more in costume and the delivery of the lines than in any significant physical change to his body, which afterall has supposed to have been reborn in a literal sense, back to like when he first arrived in a flesh body, before he was bent by the load of carrying out his task.

actually Gandalf the White carried himself very differently. Its subtle but its there, well I find it obvious anyway. Gandalf the White is more lordly and upright. You see it most in two places, firstly when he reveals himself to Aragorn and co, and in Rohan in front of Theoden when he casts off his cloak. It is a change, do you seriously think an actor of Ians calibre doesnt understand physical acting? Because he does, he has been doing it for 40 years or so. His acting is subtle not a comedy hunchback.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Yeah, I think hunchback would have been too much.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm

I dont remember asking for a comedy hunchback routine- I prefer having my own words in my mouth Mrs Figg!
I dont think he has to be doubled over, but I would prefer a Gandalf whose physical appearence is as described in the text- I dont see whats so hard to accept about that. Its how Gandalf is in the book- and it lends to good moments- like when he is refused entry at Edoras for refusing to give up his staff "I am old. If i cannot lean on my stick as I go then I will sit here until it pleases Theoden to hobble out himself and see me"- lines like that only really work if he, as the grey, had a reputation and was known as an old man who leant on a stick.
Much as Sir Ian put in a good performance I never got the impression from his Gandalf of that sort of old man.
On that I think Bakshi's Gandalf is closer to the book.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 pm

call me old fashioned but this looks like an old man to me.

Stuff from the book that should have been in the film, but mysterously wasn't (or the what the **** you playing at PJ thread) - Page 2 ImagesCAGBXAQP_zpsa7a93bac

and this does not
Stuff from the book that should have been in the film, but mysterously wasn't (or the what the **** you playing at PJ thread) - Page 2 Untitledlgfkgkgg_zps38537a91
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Well in the first he is sitting on a rock in a dark cave and second on horse back. He'd be in trouble if he sat on a horse like that!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Can we all agree that the Voice of Saruman scene in the EE was bad though?
Or am I alone there? silent

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 pm

I liked it Embarassed
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 pm

me too
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 pm

yh the other gandalf getting impaled on that wheel is like highlight of film

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Can we all agree that the Voice of Saruman scene in the EE was bad though?
Or am I alone there? silent

Agreed. Can't put my finger on why exactly it didn't work, but I think the talking from the top of the tower clear to the bottom made it feel off. In the book he was speaking from a balcony, a bit more intimate. The movie scene came across as unnatural and a bit forced. And we didn't see Saruman return when called....that was important to show Gandalf's stature had become more than just some magic.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Yeah the roof thing is annoying- especially as, think its Bernard Hill, said when they shot it they were under the impression Saruman was on the balcony not the roof- so no one is looking up enough to even see Saruman on the roof.

Also the whole nonsensne abut Gandalf needing Saruman alive so he can find out where Sauron willl strike- when everyone kows he has to strike Gondor first as its right there in the way. Makes Gandalf look like an idiot.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Also the whole nonsensne abut Gandalf needing Saruman alive so he can find out where Sauron willl strike- when everyone kows he has to strike Gondor first as its right there in the way. Makes Gandalf look like an idiot.

Huh? I don't remember that part. but it wasn't exactly a memorable scene.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Just before Legolas murders him and Wormtongue for no readily apparent reason Halfy- Gandalf is giong on about needing to know.

Why does he shoot them both dead? Anyone?

My own theory is PJ just wanted them out the script and even for him it would be too grass to have Gandalf do it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 pm

GANDALF: Saruman! You were deep in the enemy’s counsel. Tell us what you know!

Saruman turns around to face Gandalf.
Grima pulls a knife out behind Saruman.

SARUMAN: You withdraw your guard and I will tell you where your doom will be decided. I will not be held prisoner here!

Grima rises up behind Saruman and attacks him with the knife, stabbing him twice in the back. Legolas aims an arrow at Grima who falls shot in the heart. Saruman falls from the tower and is impaled on a great wheel below.

GANDALF: Send word to all our allies and to every corner of Middle Earth that still stands free. The enemy moves against us. We need to know where he will strike.

GONDOR YOU F***ING IDIOT! Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 pm

there he goes again moan moan moan. :facepalm:

Banghead
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next