Tolkien talk at B'ham Central Moot

2 posters

Go down

Tolkien talk at B'ham Central Moot Empty Tolkien talk at B'ham Central Moot

Post by Kenelm Sun May 04, 2014 12:28 am

If any of you happen to be in the Midlands on Monday, you may be interested in an event at the Birmingham Central Pagan Moot.

On Monday we are very pleased to welcome Bob Blackham of the Tolkien Society and author of several books on the subject, who will be giving a presentation with screen, projector etc. on J.R.R. Tolkien and Birmingham. Tolkien lived in various parts of the city - especially around Hall Green and Moseley - for most of his youth, and it is well known that he took many of his inspirations from places hereabouts, such as Sarehole Mill and Moseley Bog. As usual, we'll meet upstairs at Scruffy Murphy's, Dale End in the city centre at 8pm, and move down to the function room shortly thereafter. As always, the event is free and all are welcome!

For those on Facebook, the event page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/764695986897855/

Kenelm
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Tolkien talk at B'ham Central Moot Empty Re: Tolkien talk at B'ham Central Moot

Post by Eldorion Sun May 04, 2014 12:31 am

Okay, this is only sort of related, but I have to ask because this question has been bugging me for years and I never thought I'd actually get the chance to ask it. Is your Sovereign Mercia website serious? I got into a big discussion about this with someone on another forum like three or four years ago. She was convinced it was for real and wanted to get involved, but I thought the page about priestesses was meant satirically. I dunno why it has stuck in my head since then, but it has. Sorry if this question comes across as offensive or inappropriate, but I have to know. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenelm Sun May 04, 2014 12:37 am

Eldorion wrote:Okay, this is only sort of related, but I have to ask because this question has been bugging me for years and I never thought I'd actually get the chance to ask it.  Is your Sovereign Mercia website serious?  I got into a big discussion about this with someone on another forum like three or four years ago.  She was convinced it was for real and wanted to get involved, but I thought the page about priestesses was meant satirically.  I dunno why it has stuck in my head since then, but it has.  Sorry if this question comes across as offensive or inappropriate, but I have to know. Very Happy

Sovereign Mercia is a Pagan revivalist group with nearly 500 members, and we do indeed offer training for priestesses, in addition to organising moots, camps, and many other types of events. The political aims, such as independence for Mercia and so on, are more of a long-term aspiration.

Kenelm
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 04, 2014 1:25 am

Ah, that's cool. Smile I didn't realize the political part came secondary.  I apologize for misunderstanding the neopagan part (I think it was the screenshot from The Wicker Man reboot that threw me).  I'm a little far away for the moot but it sounds like an interesting topic, so best of luck!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down