halfwise
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Six Books, One Scene Each Empty Six Books, One Scene Each

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Ok here's the challenge. Taking each Book in LotR's, so 6 of them as Tolkien splits it, what is your favourite moment from each book?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Six Books, One Scene Each Empty Re: Six Books, One Scene Each

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:46 pm

you are going to have to spell out whats in each book, I am only used to 3 books.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 pm

In fellowship book 1 ends at the Ford of Bruinen, when the waves come crashing and Frodo faints.

In TT, one book is everyone but frodo and Sam, the other book is frodo and sam.

RotK, one book takes you to crack of doom, the other is everything else.

(may be a bit off in RotK, but I think that's right).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Yeah.

1- Start, Black Rider, Farmer Maggot, Old Forest, Tom and Barrow Downs, Bree, Weathertop, meeting Glorfindel, Ford.

2. Rivendell, Hollin, Caradhras, Moria, Fall of Gandalf, Dimril Dale, Lothlorien, Mirror, Gift giving, Great River, Pillars of Argonath, Amon Hen, Boromir tries to take Ring, Frodo leaves with Sam.

3. Death of Bormoir and funeral. Everyone else goes to Rohan, Pippin nd Merry in captivity with Uruk-Hai, Helms Deep happens, Voice of Saruman and then Gandalf goes off with Pippin for Gondor and Merry stays with Theoden. Aragorn chooses to go on the paths of the dead.

4. Frodo and Sam meet Smeagol. Go to the gates, go to Ithilien, meet Faramir go to Shelobs Lair, end with Frodo taken captive, Sam outside.

5. Minas Tirith, Paths of the Dead, Ride of the Rohirim, Battle of Pelennor, Houses of Healing, Last Debate, Black Gate.

6. Frodo and Sam Cirith Ungol, caught up in the orc troop, escape across Gorgorth, Mt Doom. Coronation of Aragorn, journey home. Scouring of Shire. Grey Havens.

I think!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Yeah.

1- Start, Black Rider, Farmer Maggot, Old Forest, Tom and Barrow Downs, Bree, Weathertop, meeting Glorfindel, Ford.

2. Rivendell, Hollin, Caradhras, Moria, Fall of Gandalf, Dimril Dale, Lothlorien, Mirror, Gift giving, Great River, Pillars of Argonath, Amon Hen, Boromir tries to take Ring, Frodo leaves with Sam.

3. Death of Bormoir and funeral. Everyone else goes to Rohan, Pippin nd Merry in captivity with Uruk-Hai, Helms Deep happens, Voice of Saruman and then Gandalf goes off with Pippin for Gondor and Merry stays with Theoden. Aragorn chooses to go on the paths of the dead.

4. Frodo and Sam meet Smeagol. Go to the gates, go to Ithilien, meet Faramir go to Shelobs Lair, end with Frodo taken captive, Sam outside.

5. Minas Tirith, Paths of the Dead, Ride of the Rohirim, Battle of Pelennor, Houses of Healing, Last Debate, Black Gate.

6. Frodo and Sam Cirith Ungol, caught up in the orc troop, escape across Gorgorth, Mt Doom. Coronation of Aragorn, journey home. Scouring of Shire.  Grey Havens.

I think!

Allora..
1. Tom and Barrows
2. Lothlorien
3. Fangorn
4. Ithilien
5. House of healing
6. Cirith Ungol

I just noticed 4 of my 6 choices are set in a Forest or wooded landscape  Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm

I think you are to pick a scene rather than a chapter (or collection of chapters).

Last edited by halfwise on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 pm

O
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:26 pm

ok.

1. Frodo and co sitting listening to Tom and going on a weird timey wimey thingie.
2. weird timey wimey thingie in Lothlorien.
3. weird drinks that make your toes curl.
4. Being in Ithilien or as Browning said; ''Once I am dead open my chest and on my heart will be written Italy''.
5. Black and gold hair twingling in the breeze over Minas Tirith.
6. horrid flowers.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:35 pm

1. I love the couple of paragraphs that introduce Bree, but for an action scene I think I actually have to go with the spread of food and beer they get in the Prancing pony.

2. I love the whole council of Elrond, I really do. But for one moment I may go with (paraphrasing from memory) "...it may seem that you have all been brought here in the nick of time, by chance if you will. but it is not so. Say rather that it has been so ordained that we alone must take council for the peril of the world." It's one of the few hints Tolkien gives that the world is not set upon a random course, but at key moments receives a sort of divine guidance.

3. Hard one. I love all of Pippin and Merry with the Orcs, and flotsam and jetsam later. But my favorite moment may be what signals the end of the ent-moot: "Rah-hoom Rah!"

4. "I love not the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, I love only what they protect: the White City; and would have her revered for her ancientry...."

5. This is tough. The greatest moments of the books are in here. In the paths of the dead I love Aragorn's "For that is not our errand! Speed only we ask, and safe passage - I summon you to the stone of Erech!" Followed by "the dead ride behind, they have been summoned". But I think the greatest moment of all the books is when the Lord of the Nazgul rides in through the gates of Minas Tirith, trampling the dead. Raises his flaming sword....and we hear the horns of Rohan.

6. "Hold, Men of the West! The hour of Doom is at hand!....The Ring Bearer has fulfilled his quest!"

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:05 pm

1. Meeting Strider in Bree
2. Moria
3. The Chase
4. Shelob's Lair
5. Battle of Pelennor
6. Steward and the King

Books 4 and 6 were tough!! Especially because they were the books I thought got screwed up in the films, or at least I liked reading those scenes better than watching them.

Six Books, One Scene Each Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:06 pm

halfwise wrote:RotK, one book takes you to crack of doom, the other is everything else.

(may be a bit off in RotK, but I think that's right).

Book V (the first part of ROTK) follows everyone but Frodo and Sam through the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and ends in the middle of the Battle of the Black Gate, just as Pippin sees the Eagles coming.  Book VI then jumps back in time to follow Frodo and Sam to Mount Doom, then intercuts with the end of the Black Gate, and then follows everyone as they wrap up their various storylines.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:22 am

1. Flight to the Ford/Frodo resisting the Nine.
2. Gandalf vs. Balrog
3. The three hunters encounter the White Wizard in Fangorn.
4. Sam alone, after Frodo is taken by the orcs.
5. Gandalf facing down the Witch-king at the entrance to Minas Tirith.
6. "The Ring is mine."

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 pm

Sam's little speech about "never trust your head, Samwise, it's not the best part of you. In your heart you knew he was alive" is delightful, especially paired with his questioning what to do next and the wonderfully mysterious "And the answer came back to him: the ringbearer was given companions so that the quest may not fail."

Came back from who or where? Is this an example of the powers of the world intervening, or is this just a conversation in his own head?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 pm

I think its one of those places where Tolkien lets that choice reside in the mind of the reader.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 pm

So what are your scenes, Petty?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Not sure yet. Ive changed my mind twice so far. I'll get back to you in about four buckies time  drunken 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 pm

yeah, on 4 I still can't decide between Sam's speech and Faramir's speech. And there are others - too many choices.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:06 am

I like in Book one..A Conspiracy unmasked. I like the edgy creepyness of the Black Riders, the "I thought i saw something out of the corner of my eye" feeling, I actually got tummy tingles reading the book, I like the "come on, come on, quick" feeling as The Hobbits dash secretly to CrickHollow. The quick run into the warm,safe home & slamming the door shut, keeping out all the "bad stuff". But then there's a heavy heart, when Frodo knows he has to move on. Everyone is happy & jolly in this lovely new home, decorated much like Bag End but, its so short lived, like being given bad news over a health problem. 
Book two,... A Journey in The Dark. I liked the slow, unease, not being able to settle. hearing the wolves howl but cannot see them.......yet. And all the while its not the Hobbits that are dumb,stupid country bumkins/yokels as Peejers made them out to be, not knowing their arse from a hole in the ground, its actually Boromir who does a daft thing, by throwing a stone in the pool in such a "whatever" attitude, that wakes up "Mr Im all arms", And poor Sam's sorrow as he is torn between Bill, who he loves & Frodo, who he also loves. Letting the one you love go & hoping he'l be ok is not an easy decision ! even if it is a pony.
Book Three.. Helms Deep ! il come back to this later, Ive got to go out,  Wave

Six Books, One Scene Each Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Six Books, One Scene Each Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am

Will have to think on this one scratch At first I thought this was your view on the amount of book material that made it into the films Laughing

Six Books, One Scene Each Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 am

Book 1 - The Council of Elrond. It's just a fantastic mix of stories from different parts of Middle Earth. Gloin's tale, Boromir and the poem, Gandalf telling about his encounter with Saruman, Legolas with news from Mirkwood. I just love that chapter Very Happy It's a damn hard choice picking one scene or chapter, though. I love everything about book one Mad Frodo and Sam's meeting with the elves, Bombadil, a conspiracy unmasked, many meetings. It's an evil thing to do to ask such questions, Petty Mad

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:59 pm

All excellent choices so far, but you have it wrong. Its harder than you think. I meant one scene. One single scene. Not a chapter, not an incident, but a single scene.

I've finally decided on my Book 1 scene. Its as they leave Crickhollow in the early hours of morning to go to the hedge. The description of the morning.
I find it incredibly evocative. It immediately produces a sense of being there, and of childhood memories of such mornings in the village where I grew up. Its so tangible I can nose the air, and hear the distant occasional sounds of a dog barking or a gate or door closing.

Its short, its not at all important to the plot or the characters, but it says everything to me about Tolkiens ability to conjure complete solid places in my imagination with his words.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm

Well, the council of Elrond is arguably one, long scene.. Wink But I get your point - back to thinking!

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 pm

I suppose for book one, if it has to be one scene I love the bit where they have just met Tom and he has scampered off leaving them alone in the growing dusk, they look up and weird tree faces are staring down at them from darkling high ridges. I like the description of prickling fear on the back of the spine, theres something behind us in the dark feeling, the feeling that they must hurry after Tom, and half fear and half frustration that he has left them alone in that creepy forest.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:22 pm

It's Tolkien's ability to set a scene that I think makes him stand out above all other authors.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next