Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
leelee
19 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

CUISINE - Page 3 Empty Re: CUISINE

Post by leelee Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 am

halfwise wrote:That was a lovely reveal of another's life, Leelee.  I think many prostitutes have children; they are simply doing all they can to take care of them, bless them.
That means a lot to me Halvsie.  A lot. Hasia is in to creating tastes, she is really good a it. Sometimes I have to find a way to ditch it but mainly it is good. I had some chocolate milk  with lime fizzy juice and loved it. I had two.
Our butcher makes these beef sausages that are made just out of beef steak and have so little oil in it you have to add a bit to the pan or it will burn. They are yummable. I get whole wheat hoagies and spread with dairy butter and a little chili ketsup and thinly sliced onions. And for a side some slow cooked latkes and some seedless green grapes on the side. And then a mild coffee with a dollop of cream . That was what I had tonight. It was so welcome, I was tres tired.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:14 am

Making a pork roast today. I have a lovely looking loin joint that I will be cooking English style (high heat for about 3 hours) to get a nice crackling. Roasted potatoes, veg and Yorkshire puddings and some gravy to top it all off!!

Fingers crossed it all goes according to plan.

Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:02 pm

If you get good gravy out of it, all else will taste like success.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Was bloody lovely!!

Also made some cookies earlier today.

CUISINE - Page 3 20131117_121652_zpsaec4a569
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:26 pm

I can see you knew enough to call them cookies rather than biscuits. Nod Those look very American style chocolate chip.

My bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp tasted great but looked like crap. I had my doubts about pulling those off.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:34 pm

They are biscuits... cookies are specific types of biscuits you see!

Nod 
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 pm

So you draw a big circle and label it "biscuits", then draw a smaller circle inside and label it "American biscuits = cookies".

We would do the exact opposite, except that we only call them 'biscuits' if talking to Brits or pretending to be Brits, because we have another circle outside that cookie circle called 'biscuits'. And it means rolls made with baking powder instead of yeast. And what you'd call 'buns' we'd call 'pastries', and 'buns' are the yeast equivalent of biscuits which could also be called 'rolls'....

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah.... you are all a bit odd like that....

Wink 
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Nice cookies Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 pm

That both sounds and looks good Lance.

I thought they had covered the cookie/biscuit thing on QI, but it turned out to be mostly about Jaffa Cakes.

Now the difference between a biscuit and a cake is that a cake goes hard when stale while a biscuit goes soft.

According to wikipedia:

A cookie is an American name derives from the Dutch word koekje or (informal) koekie which means little cake. wrote:
Though not sure if american cookies follows the rules as stated in the Qi clip ie go hard when stale.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:16 am

Cookies go hard when they're stale, yeah.  They're pretty much the same as British biscuits so I'd imagine they follow the same rules for classification, although I don't know if they have a legal definition here.  We don't really have Jaffa Cakes outside of import stores, but they occupy the same grey area here.

"Biscuits", on the other hand, refer to something else entirely in American English:

CUISINE - Page 3 VZrklJt

Last edited by Eldorion on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : derp)
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:33 am

How do you get a perfectly cut out image that doesn't interfere with the background? Do images come with transparent background?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 am

Lance , how on earth do you find he time or you for that matter Halvsie to make all this, it sounds lovely.
We had beef, baked potatoes basted in cold pressed olive oil and yummy veg and untypically of us, we usually have fruit with whipped cream, we had three type of bikkies which I usually don't have even if I have baked the ones I love best.  It felt weird, but we had it with a good black tea so that was a nice change for our tea I guess.
I am craving something but I have no idea what. I hate that feeling.
For the average Canadian we simply ask if one means a cookie biscuit or a baking powder one.  There are enough English Tea Houses with scones and clotted or Devonshire cream which I hate, two heavy and stodgy, and crumpets dripping in butter with home made jams and such. Because there are a lots of Brits you ask, at least here. I like those places but I prefer the Russian Tea House. It is so exotic and makes one feel like you are in St. Petersburg or whatever. And you get the tall  silver plated tea pots and bread fresh out of the oven and farm butter and the little cakes which I hardly have look baked by fairies. I love tea time.  Hasia sets out and I pour out, but next year I thinks she will be old enough.

Last edited by leelee on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : some of my letters are stiking for some reason.)
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:04 am

halfwise wrote:How do you get a perfectly cut out image that doesn't interfere with the background? Do images come with transparent background?
Well in this case I just found an image with Google and it happened to have a transparent background.  But somewhere along the line, someone had to go in by hand and crop out the biscuit from whatever the original photograph of it was in order to get that nice transparency. (And also they added the little shadow effect around the base.)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 am

Eldorion wrote:Cookies go hard when they're stale, yeah.  They're pretty much the same as British biscuits so I'd imagine they follow the same rules for classification, although I don't know if they have a legal definition here.
Hm, that would make them cakes in the brittish way of things though, as brittish biscuits goes soft when stale. Which is interesting as the word cookie actually mean little cake.

Wikipedia again:

The difference between the secondary Dutch word and that of Latin origin is that, whereas the koekje is a cake that rises during baking, the biscuit, which has no raising agent, in general does not (see gingerbread/ginger biscuit), except for the expansion of heated air during baking. wrote:
Which makes sense with the egg based batter of the american cookie I guess.

Eldorion wrote:We don't really have Jaffa Cakes outside of import stores, but they occupy the same grey area here.
I think the point of the jaffa cake thing was the brittish governement wanted to tax it as a chocolate biscuit. There beeing no tax on  biscuit or cakes, but tax on chocolate biscuits. So the jaffa cake people proved it was actually a cake by proving it goes hard when stale.

So that's the brittish defenitions, but you're right in that the american rules are probably different.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:49 am

Eldorion wrote:"Biscuits", on the other hand, refer to something else entirely in American English:

CUISINE - Page 3 VZrklJt
Would that be biscuits as in biscuits and gravey?

As Rich Hall says in the video:

Biscuits are made with self-raising flour, you slop gravey on them and they just take up room on the plate. wrote:
I would be interested to know how aware you are of Rich Hall in America? (the american comedian in the video). I think I've only seen him in brittish stuff. Though among other things he was apparently part of the influence behind Moe in the Simpsons.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 am

Yep, those are the sort of biscuits that are often eaten with gravy, although I personally prefer to just butter them. I've seen a few Rich Hall videos, but I don't think I'd have ever heard of him if it weren't for QI. Incidentally, I think the biscuits vs. cookies bit was the first QI/Stephen Fry thing I ever saw, a couple of years ago. Very Happy

The legal definitions aside, my understanding is that the following would be called biscuits in the UK and cookies in the US. Brithobbits feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

CUISINE - Page 3 QJt0bhB
        CUISINE - Page 3 GgHQ5yd
        CUISINE - Page 3 Qo3S0wA
        CUISINE - Page 3 EVsAVFg
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 am

Eldo - in broad terms, yes we would call them biscuits. But the top one we would call a cookie as a specific type of biscuit. So that would be a chocolate chip cookie but would be found in the biscuit isle.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am

Leelee - its the weekend!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 am

Eldorion wrote:I've seen a few Rich Hall videos, but I don't think I'd have ever heard of him if it weren't for QI.  Incidentally, I think the biscuits vs. cookies bit was the first QI/Stephen Fry thing I ever saw, a couple of years ago. Very Happy
That's great! I think Qi is probably my favourite television show. At least it has been over the last couple of years. It's gotten a little to reliant on Stephen Fry reading out the facts lately. It worked better when the guests felt more obligated to contribute to the interestingness as well as the funnyness.

Eldorion wrote:The legal definitions aside, my understanding is that the following would be called biscuits in the UK and cookies in the US.  Brithobbits feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

CUISINE - Page 3 QJt0bhB
        CUISINE - Page 3 GgHQ5yd
        CUISINE - Page 3 Qo3S0wA
        CUISINE - Page 3 EVsAVFg
And even the chocolate ones would even be exempt of tax, so everyones a winner! Wink 

Lancebloke wrote:Eldo - in broad terms, yes we would call them biscuits. But the top one we would call a cookie as a specific type of biscuit. So that would be a chocolate chip cookie but would be found in the biscuit isle.
Yeah, it's obviously a case where the legal and everyday definitions don't match.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

CUISINE - Page 3 Empty CUISINE

Post by leelee Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 am

Lancebloke wrote:Leelee - its the weekend!!

I cannot even imagine not working on the weekend. All of us do. That term living for the weekend simply has never applied to my family.

One has his own custodial and he leaves for work between ten and midnight and comes home about eleven in the a.m. The other two of us work at a restaurant and Clayton-Ashley has worked as chef forever and now is a supervisor with the one that is custodial so he does both. We are usually a little, no a lot tired, and I home school and school Hasia plus speech therapy and the teacher is nearly one hundred and forty dollars an hour , but the best you can find. She is a life saver and she has the same credentials as a surgeon, brain. And I am my last year of para legal and I had to get the rest online aa there is no more time!
I even had to work graveyard for years at Christmas Eve and Christmas day. It totally sucked. Fortunate you Lance. The weekend!
It is funny I keep writing Lane , my most precious cousin. I hope he is alright.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, me and my partner are lucky to be where we are in terms of being close to London and earning what we do between us. I think we put in enough work in the week to have the weekend to ourselves. I am just glad we are in a position to be able to do so as I know there are people that work far harder for far less and they all deserve the same too.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Yes, I get upset at the conservatives here who sneer that people just need to work harder if they want to make more money. The system is in large part a stacked deck, and people should at least acknowledge it. Luck and circumstance are a large part of the equation.

I'm deeply impressed that you are paying so much for home schooling, Leelee. Hopefully this pays off down the road!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Well... truth for some people is that they do need to work harder. But there are a lot where that isnt the case.and people really deserve a break.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Digesting after Thanksgiving Dinner and waiting for desert. So much food...

CUISINE - Page 3 6T2Y6Lc
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum