halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next

Go down

Books! - Page 4 Empty Re: Books!

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Congratulations, Norc, that was well deserved Very Happy You write well, and your arguments are very good (I wish I had thought of some of those when I wrote an essay about the book Laughing ) Reflektert! Smile

Books! - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:51 pm

That is a statement the readers could, if given the trust from the writer, very well come up with themselves. There are a couple of other examples where the reader is deprived of the chance to figure it out themselves, connect the dots.

That is an important point about what makes a good writer: they have to provide what is needed for the reader to follow the story, yet not so much to deprive said reader of the sense of reality that comes from figuring  things out from the circumstances.  It really pisses you off when a writer keeps thunking you over the head with the near-obvious!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Halfy! you naughty little fuzz ball ! your talking bout Peter Jackson again arent you ? eh ? eh ? eh ?

Books! - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Rolling Eyes 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Laughing thanx guys ^^
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 am

Would anyone recommend the books that the Witcher series is based on? I think they're written in Polish but there are translations available now.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:34 am

Has anyone here read C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (it's something I had forgotten about for many years, and only remembered it tonight)? I read the first two books when I was a teenager, but could not get through the third book to save my life.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Random thought, why are do many fantasy series span 7 volumes?-Harry Potter, Narnia, Dark Tower (I think), ASOFI(projected), Keys to The Kingdom...

Shrugging  scratch 

Crikey I'm a geek-read The Fall of Arthur, Mr Bliss, Smith of Wooton Major, Father Xmas Letters recently. Started The Inklings by Humphrey Carpenter, with 1984, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea to follow.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:36 pm

have you read The Weirdstone of Brisingamen?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Never heard of it, looks intriguing (and rather weird) judging by it's wiki page

I've been told on more than one occasion I own too many books for my own good (around hundred I think, hardly excessive imo...) and I have no interest in getting a Kindle so I'm kinda limited at the moment as to what books I can read.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 pm

malickfan wrote:Random thought, why are do many fantasy series span 7 volumes?

Probably because seven is considered a highly symbolic number, especially when you're talking about magic, which of course many fantasy series are.

Although I doubt that ASOIAF will finish in only two more volumes. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 pm

He's said he'll write seven books, though, hasn't he? I hope he sticks to that, considering the pace at which he writes these books pale

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:19 pm

malickfan wrote:Never heard of it, looks intriguing (and rather weird) judging by it's wiki page

I've been told on more than one occasion I own too many books for my own good (around hundred I think, hardly excessive imo...) and I have no interest in getting a Kindle so I'm kinda limited at the moment as to what books I can read.

you can never own too many books. Books are my personal obsession too. I would rather buy a book than anything else. Alan Garner is a classic author from the 60s The Weirdstone, Moon of Gombrath, Elidor are up there in my all time favorite fantasy books. Elidor haunts my imagination, its beautiful. He sets his books in landscapes I grew up in so they are precious to me. Once you read them you will never forget them.  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:He's said he'll write seven books, though, hasn't he? I hope he sticks to that, considering the pace at which he writes these books pale

He has, although the original plan was for it be a trilogy.  He has since upped the planned number of books to four, six, and the current seven.  The original planned first book eventually became the first three volumes of the series that were actually published.

Edit: here's what Martin had to say on the topic back in 2011, when ADWD came out. The whole interview is pretty interesting.

Do you still think you'll be able to wrap everything up in the remaining two books?

I certainly hope so! That's my plan, that's my intent, that's what I'm going to try to do. But at this point I know better than to promise anything and write it out in blood.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/07/george-rr-martin-on-sex-fantasy-and-a-dance-with-dragons/241738/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks, Eldo, bunch of things I didn't know! Well, I still hope he finishes it, and soon! Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:15 pm

malickfan wrote:
I've been told on more than one occasion I own too many books for my own good (around hundred I think, hardly excessive imo...)

phttt....amateur. You merely dabble in the art.  Rolling Eyes 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Thanks, Eldo, bunch of things I didn't know! Well, I still hope he finishes it, and soon! Very Happy

I mainly hope he doesn't "pull a Jordan", as they say. Razz

{{{Robert Jordan was the author of the Wheel of Time series, which was also originally intended to be a trilogy, but got so bloated and out of hand that even after 12 books and nearly 20 years, it wasn't finished when he died. The series was ultimately completed by Brandon Sanderson from Jordan's notes.}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:53 am

I'm thinking about getting into a new book series, and Wheel of Time is one that I'm considering.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 am

One of these days I'll work up enough gumption to tackle Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.  Not sure why, I just feel I should. (may be because Isaac Asimov said it inspired his creation of the Foundation series.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:09 am

@bungo Years ago, I almost borrowed The Wheel of Time from the same friend I initially borrowed The Silmarillion from, but his comments on the series put me off.  I haven't been tempted by any of the other things I've heard about the series since then.

@Halfy I too would be interested to read The Decline and Fall, though the only version I've actually seen in a bookstore is an abridged one volume edition. Though maybe that's not such a bad thing for a first-time Gibbon reader. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

What were his comments that put you off?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 pm

bounce 

Yes, do tell Eldo! Weirdly enough I was thinking about reading The Foundation Trilogy and The Wheel of Time series only yesterday..

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Well, if you haven't read the Foundation series you really should. But remember it's about grand sweeping ideas rather than great characters and plots. His writing is slightly cartoonish at times.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm

bungobaggins wrote:What were his comments that put you off?

Well, he liked the first five or so books, but he said that after that the quality fell off and the pacing became unbelievably atrocious (paraphrasing here since these conversations were about seven years ago, at which point it was unclear if the series would ever be completed).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:11 pm

malickfan wrote:bounce 

Yes, do tell Eldo! Weirdly enough I was thinking about reading The Foundation Trilogy and The Wheel of Time series only yesterday..

I really enjoyed the Foundation series, though like Halfy says it's very much a "big ideas" series. Even though it spans centuries and has few if any immortals, there are definitely some very memorable characters in there. The presentation is a little on the dry side, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next