halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 17 of 36 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26 ... 36  Next

Go down

Books! - Page 17 Empty Re: Books!

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:20 pm

The pet-play BDSM books have something to do with kittens. I ain't going there. No

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:01 pm

I am clearly writing the wrong sort of stuff when I should be making money off stories about women having sex with hamsters or something.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:32 pm

halfwise wrote:The pet-play BDSM books have something to do with kittens.  I ain't going there. No

Pet-play BDSM is a roleplay thing, not a bestiality thing.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:55 pm

"I THINK PERHAPS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. PEOPLE’S WHOLE LIVES DO PASS IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DIE. THE PROCESS IS CALLED ‘LIVING.’"

— Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

That's pretty profound. Shocked #Death #life #whoknows

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 pm

I do need to read some Terry Pratchett sometime.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:09 pm

I would recommend them- even the first couple which are a bit rough and not as realised as later books.
There are also sets of books within the overall set- so you have the Guards books and the Witches book, all of which follow on from each other, and you have Death books too, and then you have complete stand alone stories. But they all together make a very complete picture of the Discworld.

One of my own favourite quotes comes from the very first book, but its not profound it just makes me smile every time I read it. its the inept wizard Rincewind describing the Discworld's first tourist-

“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!”

also rather like - “On the Disc, the Gods aren't so much worshipped, as they are blamed.”

or-

“It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.”

or-

“He thought about how it might be to be, say, a fox confronted with an angry sheep. A sheep moreover, that could afford to employ wolves.”

Thats the thing with Pratchett- nearly all of it so damn quotable! Even outside his books  he is a walking quotable source-

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

"I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs."

"There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist."

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:57 pm

oddly I have never read Pratchett. his book covers really put me off. I cant get past them.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:03 pm

There are different covers.

Books! - Page 17 Guards_Guards_UK1_zpslaytjx5c

I assume its the left had ones you dont like as they are by Kirby and he did all the early ones- but you can get whole the set with alternative covers if you like-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:04 pm

yep its the early ones. they are hideous.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Well go to the library and get the other covered ones then- I think you'd really enjoy them. They hard not to enjoy in fact.
I suspect the witches books would appeal, they are in order-

Equal Rights
Wyrd Sisters (the first proper full on Witches book)
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
Maskerade
Carpe Jugulum

I also really like the Guards series too-

Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch
Thud! Snuff

There is a TV series in production based on the idea of the Ankh-Norpork city watch, called The Watch, described as CI meets Discworld with a case every week to solve for Sam Vimes and his squad.

There are also several discworld games- but in my view they all miss the mark by a mile with the exception of Discworld Noir, about the Disc's first Private Investigator- which is like the Discworld novel Pratchett forgot to write-

16.30 in and 32.58 are good examples of where it nails the style and humour perfectly whilst adding its own Noir twist.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm

I will read one if you read Neverwhere.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:30 pm

I have got a copy on order Figg at my local bookstore- had to wait till I could afford to buy a book! Mad
But I have also listened to the first few chapters as an audio book.
Not ideal, I prefer reading the book before I listen to an audio version, but the alternative was a fight with my sporran Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

I 'found' Terry Pratchett when I had a spell in hospital, Ive loved his writing ever since Very Happy Im fond of Captain Vimes & the rest of his 'watch', Captain carrot, Nobby Nobbs, et al. And of course Lord Vetinari Very Happy The humour is great, sharp & witty & just when you think how can this end ? it does, & happily. Theres so many wonderful, colourful characters, like, Mrs Vimes & her dragons, or ( lady Sybil Very Happy )

Books! - Page 17 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 17 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I have got a copy on order Figg at my local bookstore- had to wait till I could afford to buy a book! Mad
But I have also listened to the first few chapters as an audio book.
Not ideal, I prefer reading the book before I listen to an audio version, but the alternative was a fight with my sporran Mad

nooooo! don't listen to the audio first No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 pm

azriel wrote:I 'found' Terry Pratchett when I had a spell in hospital, Ive loved his writing ever since Very Happy  Im fond of Captain Vimes & the rest of his 'watch', Captain carrot, Nobby Nobbs, et al. And of course Lord Vetinari Very Happy  The humour is great, sharp & witty & just when you think how can this end ? it does, & happily. Theres so many wonderful, colourful characters, like, Mrs Vimes & her dragons, or ( lady Sybil Very Happy  )

I reckom I would like it if I gave it a chance. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:22 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:There are different covers.

Books! - Page 17 Guards_Guards_UK1_zpslaytjx5c

I assume its the left had ones you dont like as they are by Kirby and he did all the early ones- but you can get whole the set with alternative covers if you like-

That reminds me of the "adult" versions of Harry Potter they published in the UK so that grown-ups didn't have to feel embarrassed about reading a kid's book in public.  The visual design is reminiscent if perhaps not the purpose.

{{{The illustrations on the original UK editions of Harry Potter are ugly as sin though.  Mary GrandPre 4lyfe.}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:22 am

I always rather liked those covers. Shrugging Razz

I think Petty has said most of what needs to be said, but I would add my commendations too. Pratchett kind of ties in with the whole surrealistic tradition in british comedy, with things like the Goon Show and Monty Python. Just expressed in the fantasy genre. I do love his concepts for things, like male and female dwarves being indistinguishable, and you never being able to tell their gender from looking at them. As such, any dwarf in Pratchetts Universe can be either male or female. On the other hand, I do think he messes around with his narrative sometimes. He'll do some wonderful setup and then kind of panick when he gets to the end and seemingly just throw it together in short order. On the whole though, great books. I'd recommend the Guards and Witch "series", and the Death ones, as well. That way you have some common characters to hold on to through your first couple of books. (There's forthy now, with another one coming.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Bibliography

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 am

Sadly the later ones, those written once his illness is having an effect, well I say written, his concepts and ideas but his daughter doing the writing, just dont have the feel or insight of the original 'pure' Pratchett books in my view. They arent as funny either.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 am

That's a shame. I don't think I've read the later ones, except for the guards ones. My favourites would be from around the middle of the series, I think.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:53 pm

Books! - Page 17 Tumblr_n5yiyaXpuq1qmoni4o1_1280

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Books! - Page 17 Tumblr_n5yiyaXpuq1qmoni4o1_1280

I like that. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 pm

me too Very Happy very succinct
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:41 pm

It's definitely interesting to contemplate when considering literature from different era's. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 pm

One of my favourite moments in the Wheel of Time series is this little story Asmodean, an orginaly evil character who, through little will of his own, is forced to change sides to the light fom the shadow, tells, that just seem poignant wih regards to life and so on to me for some reason.

"I once saw a man hanging from a cliff. The brink was crumbling under his fingers, and the only thing near enough to grasp was a tuft of grass, a few long blades with roots barely clinging to the rock. The only chance he had of climbing back up on the cliff. So he grabbed it." His abrupt chuckle held no mirth. "He had to know it would pull free."

We never get any clearity of what happened next. Did he save him, he was certainly capapble to. Probably not, but were never told. Anyway, someone made a drawing based on a fanfic saying he did.

Books! - Page 17 Tumblr_nl2v7q3N0Z1sul8clo1_1280Books! - Page 17 Tumblr_nl2v7q3N0Z1sul8clo2_1280
http://pettymotives.tumblr.com/post/113401506155/a-what-if-asmo-didnt-let-the-guy-he-saw-clinging

Last edited by Bluebottle on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:12 pm

"You know my choices. I am clinging to that tuft of grass on the cliff’s lip, praying for it to hold one more heartbeat. If you fail, I am worse than dead. I must see you win and live."

Oh, you dear thing.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 36 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26 ... 36  Next